Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleBuffy
The Slayer
Female

Re: Getting back into guitar [Re: Humble Newcomer]
    #25137596 - 04/14/18 04:23 AM (6 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Humble Newcomer said:
Here's another one

So what is guitar one doing? What's that symbol mean and does it play a d5 letting it ring then playing it again immeidatley letting off then moving to a D5 and C?

On the lower section did they combine two guitars on same tab? So I'm not expected to play 10th fret D string and 3rd fret a string as a chord, that's a stretch.

Also, now that I've been thinking about it how does this even work? These books are transcribed by some dude named Danny begelman and it says they're "authentically transcribed" by him, and as such the hal Leonard corporation has copyrighted the info contained in the book. So it says I can't record or perform these songs publicly.

I assume I'd owe them royalties or maybe even punitive charges.

But....why would I be paying the mooch who transcribed it and put out a book? And how can they call it authentic, no matter how good he is at transcribing and how well he studied live performances.

Quote:

Humble Newcomer said:
Here's another one

So what is guitar one doing? What's that symbol mean and does it play a d5 letting it ring then playing it again immeidatley letting off then moving to a D5 and C?

On the lower section did they combine two guitars on same tab? So I'm not expected to play 10th fret D string and 3rd fret a string as a chord, that's a stretch.

Also, now that I've been thinking about it how does this even work? These books are transcribed by some dude named Danny begelman and it says they're "authentically transcribed" by him, and as such the hal Leonard corporation has copyrighted the info contained in the book. So it says I can't record or perform these songs publicly.

I assume I'd owe them royalties or maybe even punitive charges.

But....why would I be paying the mooch who transcribed it and put out a book? And how can they call it authentic, no matter how good he is at transcribing and how well he studied live performances.

Those symbols are chord charts. Here they're not necessarily telling you to play D5, which is a D power chord, which is D and A, (A is the fifth interval in D major and minor), they're just informing you what the chord is during the measure. This song starts with a synth playing a violin/cello string patch playing the chords and the melody. Your transcription is having you play the single note melody on the guitar, while something else plays the chords in the background. You could have a second guitar, a piano, a synth, an according or banjo, whatever you want really, but it's just stating "the chord here is D5, now here's what you play over it on your guitar". The chord charts up at the top are showing you some ways you can play the chords, and you can have a second guitarist play those if you have one of those around. We're a dime a dozen I hear :wink:

Second picture, yes that's two guitar parts transcribed together within the same measure. They do it to save paper real estate, but it's definitely confusing.

Regarding the copyright questions, I have no idea!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBuffy
The Slayer
Female

#25137616 - 04/14/18 04:46 AM (6 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Humble Newcomer said:
:rockon:  :matrix2:    :rockon:

be

Question - what do you call what i'm doing in the beginning, its an open chord that i alternate fingers on one of the strings making a mini melody inside the chord melody. 

everything has a term, like trill, vibrato, arpeggio, etc.  I would assume this does? 

Enjoy my fabulous noobness everyone! If you jam lets jam!

Hey nice guitar and playing! In your G Major, C Major, D Major progression technically speaking you're playing chords in a 4/4 rhythm and playing a melody at the same time. The rhythm you're playing is:

G Maj
1 2 and 3 e and uh 4 and uh

C Maj
1 2 and 3 and uh 4 and uh

D Maj
1 3 and 3 and uh 4 and uh

G Maj
1 2 and 3 e and uh 4

In your rhythm, you're subdividing quarter notes into eights and sixteenths!

Watch the first chord progression you're playing, and count along what I wrote above while listening. Also conduct in a quadruple meter, it is incredibly helpful! 1 is down, 2 is left, 3 is right, 4 is up.

Merely being able to figure out the meter, time signature, and rhythm of music will put you miles ahead of most people that play guitar. Verbally subdividing and physically conducting along to music really is the best way to understand meters, time signatures, and rhythms.

InvisibleBuffy
The Slayer
Female

Re: Getting back into guitar [Re: Buffy]
    #25137623 - 04/14/18 04:51 AM (6 years, 4 days ago)

Got to some of the Metallica stuff in the video, you're good man! You have a lot going for you. Your left hand position on the neck with your thumb on the back is good, and your vibrato is really nice! You have a really good natural feel for rhythm too! Good palm muting as well.

Start to explore the different tones you can get out of the guitar by picking down closer to the bridge, and up closer to the neck. This is another thing that will set you apart from other guitarists. It's common to see guitarists pick everything in the same spot, and they really neglect the range of tones you can get out of the instrument.

Check out Jimi here at 7:50

Notice how he is picking between the neck and middle pickup, and then moves up and picks over the fretboard. It changes the tonal color of the sound. There is a MASSIVE difference in sound from picking over the fretboard, and picking right down at the bridge, so play around with this and see what kind of colors you can get out of the guitar, merely by changing where you pick on the string.

Add in the fact that you can change pickups, roll up or down your volume and tone knobs, and you can get a lot of different sounds out of an electric guitar. Try not to fall into the habit of just having a default playing position and default setup on your guitar controls that you always and only use. Lots of guitarists fall into this habit, and it's something that holds them back and they don't realize it. 

Edited by Buffy (04/14/18 05:05 AM)

InvisibleBuffy
The Slayer
Female

#25137641 - 04/14/18 05:24 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

I'll have to get to your other two posts next time I get a chance, must do the sleep thing. Keep up the good work!

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

#25137667 - 04/14/18 06:03 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

So much to say and I don't have my computer -

Yes I was able to make sense of the initial exercises, I think so anyway, because of other video lessons I've had where I can hear them counting the beat in my head and because it was simple. You're very right I have a little more trouble with this one, not that I haven't heard a

One e and uh two e and uh

Kind of beat, but the irregularity of it makes it unique, and considering the pieces of music I choose are quite advanced for my level, I need to narrow it down quite a bit.

Consequence of the major excitement of getting back into playing and improving beyond my high school skill level - which was my high point, I haven't played regularly in years.

Since our first few messages I've taken to playing quite a bit more, that mahogany SG is a new find and I just ordered a boss katana 1x12  and the ga fc footswitch for $60 off on reverb I've been going back and forth between it and a Marshall dsl40 which would be my first real tube amp but it's twice the price and only has a reverb which people say is weak

So I've decided to go with the 100watt katana which gives me access to the brown channel as is, and boss tone studio where I have all 58 of their boss pedals accessible and can store 4 for wuick access I think. This is far more versatile and affordable for now, I think after this move I have coming up and I improve enough to earn it, I'll be looking for a jcm 800 head and one 4x12.

Much smarter buy for me. I used to make bank but never let myself buy nice equipment because I couldn't play good enough.

In these past few weeks I got half of Perry Mason down, my finger picking now includes fast car by Tracy Chapman I'll probably post a link of that and Metallica Orion, another great song I've always revered, and I've been studying that one a lot lately. So I've earned getting out of these line 6 spiders and each step I make in gear sounding better will get me playing longer too.

I know I'm all over the place but for one I don't have access to a band or even a second guitar to jam with and for two I probably can't okay any song all the way thru considering it's either a zakk wylfe solo or a hammet or hetfield solo, but I'm getting better. I'm surprised at my gains in soeed and accuracy lately.

Which is the main reason I don't explore the other areas of the strings with my right hand, when I'm bored and have jammed for two hours already and I'm half hanging off the couch watching TV with my guitar on my hands I explore and make all the weird Tom morello noises we all make like plucking the strings up by the tuners or pinch harmonics up and down between the neck and the bridge.

My problem always was and continues to be accuracy, blink 182 what's my age again is a good example with string hopping, for years and years I could never play that or anything similar without messing up every ten seconds because of the speed involved while hopping strings.

But now that I've got bark at the Moon half down by Jake E Lee (ozzy) I return to previous songs and the speed is no longer an issue - they seem slow in fact.

So I think now my playing is getting to where I can consider branching out, I'm jamming on a strap which I've never done and I feel tight like as fast as I'm playing my hands are almost on train rails they're string they Grab the bends hard and I can be dangerously rough with control, it's awesome

I've never been this good

Yeah I'm definitely down for some kind of lessons, few posts are as detailed as these on shroomery that I see. I spend some time in diy and there's some car posts I do exactly this on, but for one I'm very knowledgeable and enjoy teaching, a previous job of mine I was lead mechanic and one aspect was classroom teaching all the other mechanics, but the other side is that everyone has so much to learn there's so many wives tales or marketing lies and everyone has a car in many areas.

But I'm not training any person to be a mechanic with repeated posts, I'm just spreadikf a lot of general info. I'm definitely game, if the price is a little high it would just space out how often the lessons are. I've only had one or two lessons ever, well maybe four, but they were all first time lessons with different people, immediate mismatches that I had to pay for

Music lessons are crazy expensive $30/half hour is quite common, and then I spend half the lesson waiting fot this forgetful old man or I'm trying to translate from their logic to mine. Too expensive for problems.

I have a laptop with webcam but it's starting to have issues we will see did I replace it in the next month.

But having had a zakk Wylde phase got me half sold by itself.

How did they get the sound with jcm 800 at low volumes, crank master volume to 10 and control with channel volume? Or both volumes at 10 and control guitar pot?

I thought channel colume at 10 and control master was appropriate. But u get into how signals are effected, like pedal loops and order and there's a lot I don't know about the electronics part.

I'm glad there was benefit to me blurring the face and showing how I play, I felt that's important, a lot of things a self taught player finds and reads are contradicting
Some sources say thumb had to always be planted squarely behind the neck as a stand but that changes constantly as we play.

Over the past two weeks because of bark at the Moon I've really gotten fast picking Palm muted open bass notes and hoping around with chord stabs down pretty good and that opens so many doors with the kind of metal I'm into (80s)

I'm familiar with switching around on the pickups, bridge and neck have two separate responsibilities it seems, neck when I want extra bass and fatness like clean picking through a chord for an intro, bridge when I want searing hot clarity like when I slide in with led zeppelins black dog

So there was no name for it really? I'm doing a Melody within my chord Melody that I'm breaking into sixteenths and such? Hmmm I'll watch the video and try to count like you're saying.

Iim finishing up building my bone nut for my strat rebuild I had to order the fancy $100 set of nut files after trying a few homemade methods, and I have to recrown some of the frets on it, I didn't get a fresh perfect and tbe intonation is off on those frets. But the fret level looks good and I redid the body and replaced all electronics and Copper taped a Faraday cage in it, made my first $70 guitar into a $450 legitimate instrument, vintage fender pickups, upgradeded tuners and everything, fender vintage bridge (tremelo) installed which was double the weight of my cheap stockie. More mass ewuals more vibrratikn it looks and feels like a different guitar.

Made a video of it before ($70), then with most hardware changed and a cheap prewired pickup, the $20 amazon one with S-S-H layout and it was a huge difference, played same songs with same amp on same settings then I put in the fender ones and I need to finish the video. Huge sound difference I'm happy to notice. Didn't know if the money was worth it.

In another week I'll be having basically the most badass solid state amp ever made for my kinds of music so I'm sure I'll be playing even more.

Edit - I listened to my guitar playing while reading your notes, yes I can read the 1 2 3 e and uh kind of stuff as I'm playing amd now know exactly what u mean.

So I'm doing a 4/4 beat or rythym and some of them I'm hitting tbr chord once per beat for the first few beats but the last beat the 4 is chopped up into four pieces bc the melody, and so that's how it's a sixteenth. Because of the 4/4 beat.

I'm afraid I don't know any other beats besides 4/4, sirely I do and don't know it i know dozens of covers.

So no guitar technique name like trill or arpeggiate it's a Melody within a chord progression I guess

How can you tell he's plugged into amp directly with no pedal?

Why would kicking the pedal on be louder and a switch from mezzo forte to forte or whatever, that would depend solely on gain settings of the pedal correct? But that's just how it's done I'm imagining, low settings on amp itself your high settings on pedal that u kick on and off. Just seems like u could do the opposite too so I'm curious how u knoe

Also, if we start lessons I'd like pinch harmonics and string bending to be prioritized, Ive got the book open this second and I'm learning Orion amd I've played parts of this song wrong for years amd there's so much technique in tbe solos I've been missing nuances like I'm supposed to be giving a vibrato at tbe top of the bend on some of these notes which requires a great deal more skill because of other string noise.

Pinch harmonic mastery and bending galore due to my love for blues and metal. Top two. I'm excited

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

Edited by Humble Newcomer (04/14/18 09:52 AM)

Invisibleds442
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25137690 - 04/14/18 06:35 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

I wish I could play guitar. I have thought about getting into it. I love a couple heavy metal bands that have some amazing guitar. I will give you some songs to check out if you are interested. Machine Head- Aesthetics of Hate, Halo, In comes The Flood, and Locust. Pantera- The Sleep and Floods. The guitarist from Pantera was known to be one of the best. Someone jumped on stage and shot him in the head. His name was Dimebag Darrell, He was playing with Damage Plan at the time.

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

Re: Getting back into guitar [Re: ds442]
    #25137763 - 04/14/18 07:21 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

Dimebag grew up 4 hours from me it's crazy I used to think about that a lot. My friends were all in bands in high school, my dad was a super disciplinarian so I couldn't get out much, much less join a band.

But they all made CDs and had shows and ended up playing the Houston circuit. A few still are in bands and a guitar always comes out when we get together.

You should try. I mean it, starter kits are as cheap as $100 with electric guitar, amp, cord pick and strap.

As professionally challenged as I am on guitar I can play the thing, and I remember what songs I learned first and how I got hooked into playing which is learning a favorite song or parts of it at least, and that gets u hooked and guarantees you'll get better bc u keep playing that sweet sounding riff u recognize and that opens up your fingers and enables a second easy one u realize.

I've taught many people to play over the years, tho its simply a refined method of how I learned. Learn tab, here's guidance on a few songs like Metallica one or unforgiven or fade to Black those were my first, and then boom. In a week we add an open chord or two and show the power chord shape.

Ive seen students of mine get Aerials down by system of a down for example, the beginning clean intro, within an hour or two of their first time playing ever.

I tune the guitar down to drop d, and get their coordination going, left hand is using index finger only on one string only slowly going up and down and right hand is going down 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 in an order just like that very simple and easy to get the hang of and u hear a good clean guitar sound, oOooo it's like heroine, I hook people on musical heroine is what I do because after an hour theyre hooked not believing what they've done and just a second lesson is all that's needed to teach the tuning. And from there a third lesson is guaranteed and I can quickly get them playing and set them loose.

I tell them up front I can't teach what I don't know (theory) but I don't feel that I'm doing any bad. I teach good habits, and fast independence. Some people are happy playing what's on the radio that was me as a guitar player for 15 years. And I can teach someone to be that in 6 months, dead serious. A year on some people.

You seem like a cool dude. I used to get mad that my parents never started me in karate or music when I was a kid. Like time was wasted, not enough time to get good, why bother.

But guitar is easily one of my most rewarding hobbies and challenges. The same stick of wood that I have mastered 100 different songs to where it's become a tool and I can play concert quality happy birthday for anyone even if I'm intoxicated, well it's the same stick of wood that I've played Papa roach last resort and so many other cool songs I used to crank up when they came on that now they're very played out like an old video game you've beaten several times. But unlike those video games that become paperweights, this same stick of wood provides challenges that I am entertained for hours as I plucked through the nuances of the melody in all the mini solos of a Metallica song, and it's addicting, and it's all u okay for hours until it becomes old and then u find something else.

It's infinite, so crazy, even with me and my mechanical background I never studied how one worked or how to modify until 17 years in when I take apart my very first guitar, same one I play every time I play, and it's new again because I've upgraded everything and learned how wuality matters in different parts, how it all works, etc etc. And to soup it up and hear the difference.

You should play bro
I'll have to check out some of those bands I'm completely out of the loop with new music. It takes a lot of time and effort to stay up on all that.

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

Invisibleds442
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25137813 - 04/14/18 07:55 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

That's awesome you grew up by Dimebag. I would love if I could shred like him. It takes alot of commitment though. I used to want to be a metal singer. I wrote a bunch of songs but it didn't happen. I don't think my vocals are good enough anymore. I would love to be on stage just blazing an awesome solo. Would be epic. Maybe I will give it a try.

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

#25137828 - 04/14/18 08:07 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

Lol if that's your aspiration hell yeah u should I got thrown on stage as a bass player one time just because someone said I played guitar, so if u wanted to be on stage you'd be there all the time.

Cruisers, an old biker bar down the road from where I used to live. Played to a big bar sparsely populated with maybe 12 people in there lmao

There always seems to be places that need live bands and half of them you don't even have to be good lol.

They have really nice starter kits for like $300-$400 that are several times better in wuality than the $100 ones, esp for metal. Epiphone Les Paul starter kits come to mind though it should be said Les Paul's are very uncomfortable on your lap amd need to be played standing up, if you're a black metal fan the bc rich warlock starter kit gets a lot of stares.

I think anyone who considers it should absolutely try, most people don't even do that much. I have a buddy now who's major ADD but hlto my surprise he picks up how to play songs real quick, smoke on the water, fade to Black he's got them half down but he refuses to buy a guitar even though he knows he will like it and knows in six months he will be good, instead he prefers to not buy one for a year or something until he figures out his move sitiuation he doesn't want to lug extra stuff around
Which I get.

He simply doesn't get how good he will be in that time and how, at that point, it will be one of the few possessions he will want to keep, rather than something extra to lug around

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

Invisibleds442
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25137870 - 04/14/18 08:27 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

Yeah, I would really love to play to a big crowd. Seeing them all into it. I was just at the Machine Head concert. Best show I have ever been to. I was right at the stage and the bass player was right in front of me. He was just so into it. After every song you could just tell it was like a release for him. It was a cool show. So high energy.

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

#25137967 - 04/14/18 09:31 AM (6 years, 3 days ago)

Buffy do u see above the music how it says 1,2,3 in one section and 4 in another? I'm looking for how many times to repeat this riff and that's what it says so this is how they're saying play It three times and on the fourth u play that ending?

This and having guitar one and two in the same section of music are these common methods? I don't like them

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom