Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshroomygirl
thats my bum
 User Gallery

Need Advice please (pics)
    #2512567 - 04/01/04 11:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

First off I know nothing what I am doing this is my first time so all advice will be so helpful
Well I have a 15 inch san padro that I planted
I put it in a big plastic plant pot with Schults cactus soil and some scotts 10-10-10 fertalizer (someone told me to do this) and mixed in some miracle-grow rooting hormone (was told to do this also)
I then dusted the roots with the rooting horomone and planted it about 4 inches deep in the soil then added about an half inch of aquarium stones.
Here are some pics tell me what to do or what I did wrong
this is the cactus

heres the light I have it under
its a vita light for plants and I leave it on 12 on 12 off

heres the soil, fertalizer, and rooting hormone

Is thier anything I did wrong?
If so can I fix it?
Is thier anything I can change to make this setup better and promote better growth?
Or any advice at all. Thanks.
Thank you for all your help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: Need Advice please (pics) [Re: shroomygirl]
    #2513008 - 04/02/04 12:12 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Was the cutting well healed and dry? It should of been.Also should be a drainage hole in the bottom of your pot.Should'nt use any fertilizer for quite a while since there are no roots..It will just accumulate in the soil.Thats about all I can think of.

Offlineshroomygirl
thats my bum
 User Gallery

Re: Need Advice please (pics) [Re: Pinhead]
    #2514026 - 04/02/04 12:54 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Like I said I dusted the roots with the rooting hormon so
It has roots obviously and it is the pot is a planting pot and has drainage holes.
It wasnt a cutting
where was that mentioned?
So the fertilizer was ok then right?

Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
    #2514950 - 04/02/04 01:30 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You don't need rooting hormone at all if your cutting already has roots. You should wait a week or two before watering so that any damaged roots have time to heal. The time release fertilizer should be no problem although as a general rule you shouldn't fertilize when cacti is not in its growing season.

Invisiblejoe_millionaire
Lifelong Student

Re: Need Advice please (pics) [Re: nookjohn]
    #2524195 - 04/04/04 12:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

you can leave the light on much longer too if you want. I think Una has his on 24/7 as long as the temp is down. (correct me if I'm wrong) Eventually you are going to put it outside or in a greenhouse? That little fluoro probably won't put out the lumens you need to grow that sucker. good luck and welcome to the hobby!

--------------------
"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2524411 - 04/04/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

For now the plastic pot is fine, but I definitely recommend getting a terra cotta pot. This helps the soil dry quicker and will lessen the chance of root rot due to trapping moisture in the soil from the plastic pot.

The fertilizer is fine, but i would dilute it out a little bit, say dilute it to half strength or even a quarter strength. If you dilute it to quarter strength you can use the fertilizer water every time you water your cactus - which should be after the soil is completely dry and has been for a few days. If you dilute it to half strength use it ever other or every two waterings. If it's just left at 10-10-10 then use it at an even greater interval.

Nothing wrong with dusting the roots with rooting hormone as long as you didn't use too much. Rooting hormone when there's too much of it tends to inhibit root formation. Using the rooting hormone wasn't really beneficial or detrimental. You didn't really need it but it won't hurt and may help a little - some people use superthrive from time to time which has rooting hormone in it.

The light is fine for now, it looks like it's starting to come out of dormancy so some stronger lights would be beneficial or putting it outside on nice warm days wouldn't be a bad idea.

Some tips for when you repot it. Line the bottom of your pot with some stones, river stones or the aquarium stones are fine. Then plant your cactus deep enough so that it can support itself and so that it's at the right height so that the soil/rock level at the top comes to the inner-lip of the terracotta pot (the spot where the top rim juts out a little like a band).

That's about it. Good luck.

Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
Re: Need Advice please (pics) [Re: neuro]
    #2532131 - 04/06/04 05:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

neuro, if you look closely you'll see that she's using time release fertilizer. As you know, time release fertilizer isn't predissolved. Although I would agree that it should be used at half strength at most.

She never said how long ago she potted the cactus, but if it was more than a week or two ago there is not nearly enough light. The plant near the top is stretched. If she received the cactus that way, then the jury's still out on her light.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Need Advice please (pics) [Re: nookjohn]
    #2533277 - 04/06/04 11:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't scrutinize the fertilizer that much. Good eye and good catch.

As for the stretch at the top it appeared to me by the picture that it was most likely received this way, as only the very time had growth and considering the season we're coming off of i made the assumtion it was old growth, and only the very tip was new growth.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden