Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Loc: The Netherlands Flag
Just started my first real grow
    #25124344 - 04/08/18 10:50 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I did a grow with a kit a while ago and figured I might as well learn to do it myself this time instead of buying another one of those expensive grow kits, so here I am, after a lot of reading and forgetting most of that information again I just started and hope for the best lol.

I'm probably going to do a lot in nonsensical ways, as I'm kind of improvising with the stuff I could get my hands on mostly because of my lack of money, and I'm not really following a tek as I was planning to do it the pf tek way, but my jars are not wide mouthed, so I would have to break it up and use it as spawn, if that's the correct terminology.
I'm still not entirely sure how to go about that but I got some time to read until the jars are ready.

I just (hopefully) sterilized 3 320 ml jars in a pot with 2 parts verm, 1 part brf and about one part water.
Gonna inoculate them tomorrow, got 10 ml of mazatapec from inner visions.

I'm already confused and having second thoughts about the way I'm going about it.
For one I keep reading that if you do brf cakes it's best to birth them as cakes, so now I wonder if I should use cups or something that I can pop the cakes out of, or if I might even be better off just going about it in a totally different way.
I also see people recommending different amounts of verm and brf, like this website http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek , so now I wonder if I might be better off using less brf, which would be great as that's more expensive than the verm.
I'm also not sure about how much spore juice to use for inoculation, I think I probably should use about 1 ml per jar but I'm not entirely sure and I wouldn't want to waste precious spores, so I would love to hear your ppls opinion on this.

--------------------
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” - Carl Sagan

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Re: Just started my first real grow [Re: MeatSack] * 1
    #25124492 - 04/09/18 12:03 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Don't overthink it.  If you want, you can use the jars you have now and do almost anything with them, even just growing the mushrooms right in the jar.  Look up some fruiting in jar teks, or you can crumble them to another substance, and it will spread onto that.  Do your research and be smart about it, but don't overthink it.

Your ratios are correct, 2 part verm, one part brown rice flour, one part water.  Im sure there are other ways that work, but this works and has been tested and tried.

--------------------
Ὡς οὖν εἴπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Ἐγώ εἰμι, ἀπῆλθον εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω, καὶ ἔπεσον χαμαί.

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: Just started my first real grow [Re: naturalistic123]
    #25125250 - 04/09/18 11:22 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks. I will try not to overthink it, but as I'm someone who overthinks pretty much everything I doubt I'm going to be able to lol.

I might just fruit them in the jars, that sounds like an easy way to go about it for the first grow so I can get accustomed to how it works, and read up in the meantime.
Any pros and/or cons to doing it that way compared to using it as spawn?

I would think just fruiting it in the jars would reduce the risk of contamination. Is this true? Seems logical but who knows.
And would you be able to get as much out of it when fruiting it in jars?
Also can I use a mixture of verm and brf to add the spawn to? Because I don't see anyone doing this but I have no idea why not.

--------------------
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” - Carl Sagan

InvisibleShroomyToons
Be Calm and Grow On
 User Gallery

Loc: Rebel Flag Flag
    #25127693 - 04/10/18 09:26 AM (3 years, 30 days ago)

You can do a bunch of things.

Fruiting in jars isn't really going to reduce contamination.

How are you inoculating the jars?

What's your goal here? Just a few mushrooms, or do you want to grow a tub?

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: Just started my first real grow [Re: ShroomyToons]
    #25128291 - 04/10/18 02:03 PM (3 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

ShroomyToons said:
Fruiting in jars isn't really going to reduce contamination.

No? Can you explain why not? To me it would make sense that if you break the cakes up and remove them from the jars it will increase the chances of contamination, but I guess I must be missing something here.

Quote:

ShroomyToons said:How are you inoculating the jars?

With a spore syringe.

Quote:

ShroomyToons said:What's your goal here? Just a few mushrooms, or do you want to grow a tub?

Just a few mushrooms probably isn't going to cut it, but I'm not sure yet.
I want to have a steady supply, to be able to microdose regularly and on occasion do a real trip, but as I'm still experimenting with microdosing I'm not sure how much I would need yet.
And I'll probably only be growing around summertime, so I can take advantage of the temperature and don't have to artificially create the correct temps for them to do well, so I would have to grow enough around summer to last me a year.
For now I guess all I'm hoping for is successfully ending ANY kind of grow so I won't run out of shrooms, as I don't have that much left, and so I can get a better idea of what might work for me or not.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomyToons
Be Calm and Grow On
 User Gallery

#25128533 - 04/10/18 03:47 PM (3 years, 30 days ago)

The reason I said it won't reduce contamination is that if your jar is contaminated, it is simply contaminated. Of course if you mix that jar in with another jar, it will spread the contamination.

Since you're using a spore syringe, definitely go ahead and fruit them in the jars since you don't have cakes that when consolidated would slip out of the jars.

Tbh, I have never grown a BRF cake. I started them, and I crumbled to a dishpan of coir after they were fully colonized. I put the dishpan in a monotub and learned how to check surface conditions and control FAE that way. But to do that, you'd have to be able and willing to buy a tub and dishpan and coir. And a sprayer.

What you're doing should work. You still need a way to keep the relative humidity okay and have fresh air exchange (FAE). Just make sure your jars are completely colonized before moving them to fruiting conditions.

And maybe someone who has fruited them like you need to can weigh in on how or if you should dunk them.

Did you make a SGFC?

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #25130356 - 04/11/18 09:55 AM (3 years, 29 days ago)

I get that if your jar is contaminated you can't just undo that or something. I'm talking about if at that point your jar isn't contaminated yet. If I got finished cakes I would think that breaking them up and touching them and stuff would increase the risk for contamination at that point, as you're making contact with it and exposing more surface area of the cake and expose it all to outside air etc.
I assume that when your cakes are fully colonized there's not that much risk of contamination anymore at that point? Otherwise this all doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I did not make a SGFC.
I was thinking I might fruit it in the container and bag I got with the grow kit I used for my first grow. That seemed to work fine for that grow, and it would be easy to do without me having to buy extra stuff.

I guess I just gotta read a lot more as I'm still pretty clueless about some (more likely most) of the aspects of cultivating mushrooms.
I'm not even entirely sure about what substrates do lol. It's a bit confusing to me. I'm pretty sure that with the way I did the jars, the verm is to retain moisture, and the brf is to provide nutrients for the mycelium to feed off, but then I see people adding spawn to just verm and it makes me wonder why they don't add any nutrients at that point.
I clearly still got a lot to learn.

And an update on my grow, I inoculated the jars 3 days ago with about 1ml per jar, and so far there's nothing to see yet. Can't wait to see the first signs of mycelium so at least I know something's happening and I didn't fuck it up too much.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomyToons
Be Calm and Grow On
 User Gallery

#25130373 - 04/11/18 10:07 AM (3 years, 29 days ago)

When grains, or BRF are fully colonized there is a pretty good resistance to contamination. That's why you can make monotubs or shoeboxes, etc in the the open air.

Then the mycelium spreads to the substrate, usually coir that has been hydrated and pasteurized. And you don't have to take as much care while the myc is running to consolidate the coir in your fruiting chamber.

Yeah, when your jar is fully colonized you can just put a plastic bag over your jar and put some holes in the bag for gas to escape and to keep moisture (relative humidity)in. You should dunk your jar before putting it into fruiting. That let's it absorb all the water it needs to respirate it out while it's trying to make mushrooms for you. Watch your surface moisture.

The verm acts like an airlock for your cake. It protects it from contamination.

There's a ton to learn, but it can be done as so many with super grows posted demonstrates! Good luck, man.

--------------------

"Never miss a good chance to shut up"
                Best advice ever...in this hobby

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #25130723 - 04/11/18 01:41 PM (3 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

ShroomyToons said:
When grains, or BRF are fully colonized there is a pretty good resistance to contamination. That's why you can make monotubs or shoeboxes, etc in the the open air.

Ah now it all makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks!

Quote:

ShroomyToons said:Then the mycelium spreads to the substrate, usually coir that has been hydrated and pasteurized. And you don't have to take as much care while the myc is running to consolidate the coir in your fruiting chamber.

So what is the coir for? Just to hold moisture or for nutrients too? And then what about ppl who only use verm. Afaik that doesn't have any nutritional value. Sounds like you would need something to hold moisture, and adding nutrients is optional, besides the nutrients that are present in the spawn? Is this how it works or am I missing something again?

Quote:

ShroomyToons said:The verm acts like an airlock for your cake. It protects it from contamination.

Yea I learned this from the PF tek, I'm not talking about the casing layer, but the substrate where you put the spawn in. As I said above, I was under the impression that you would need to add something nutritional too, but as I have seen ppl use only verm as substrate this clearly can't be the case.

Quote:

ShroomyToons said:There's a ton to learn, but it can be done as so many with super grows posted demonstrates! Good luck, man.

Yea I'm sure I still got a ton to learn. Gonna do some more reading. Thanks for the help man.

--------------------

Edited by MeatSack (04/11/18 01:45 PM)

InvisibleShroomyToons
Be Calm and Grow On
 User Gallery

#25130817 - 04/11/18 02:27 PM (3 years, 29 days ago)

Coir...Nutrition...Well, it sure isn't nutritious for plants, but since there is some caloric value, it can readily be argued that there must be some nutritive value and then you get a lot of opinions going and arguments and...why bother???

The coir holds moisture for the mushrooms to grow from and it provides a good habitat for the mycelium to spread through. These things are agreed upon by everyone. And the main thing is that it works very well. If you want to add nutrition, a lot of people like to add prepped horse manure to their coir. But there is argument about whether or not that actually improves yields, or not, and on and on. We all agree that coir does a fine job!

--------------------

"Never miss a good chance to shut up"
                Best advice ever...in this hobby

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #25132765 - 04/12/18 11:29 AM (3 years, 28 days ago)

Ok, thanks a lot.
I guess I'm going to try it out with coir then. I just bought some, and it's a lot cheaper than I expected it to be, so I'll gladly use coir if that's what's working for people.

Now I'm actually thinking to maybe just fruit one cake in its jar, and use the other two jars as spawn, so I can see for myself what difference it makes.

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: Just started my first real grow [Re: MeatSack]
    #25143052 - 04/16/18 01:02 PM (3 years, 24 days ago)

I'm 8 days in, and 2 of the 3 jars are growing some mycelium so far.
At least now I know I didn't totally fuck something up, and the syringe is good, but I obviously still got a long way to go.
There's this little blackish spot in one of the mycelium spots that I hope is not contamination. I assume it's verm but time will tell I guess. I will keep an eye on it.

And I got some more questions.
First off my casing layer is a bit bigger than the way it's done with pf tek. Could this cause any problems? I wonder if the needle went deep enough to inject the spore solution into the substrate and not the casing layer, as that's not something I paid any attention to when inoculating the jars.
And now apparently some of the mycelium spots started to partially grow in the casing layer. Did I fuck up big time?

I'm pretty sure there's some condensation forming on the glass at the casing layer. That's not good is it? Not sure how wet the verm is if it's wet at all but any sign of moisture in the casing layer is probably not good is it?
I wonder if it's the heat. I don't think I saw anything like this in the beginning, the jars were at 19-20 degrees the first 3 days and then I used a heating mat to make some sort of incubation chamber, and the temp I measured then was around 24-26 degrees, but I was just feeling the bottom of the jars and it feels like they might be a little bit warmer than that. It surely feels warmer to the touch than the surface where I'm measuring the temp, but I'm not entirely sure.

--------------------

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25143585 - 04/16/18 05:04 PM (3 years, 24 days ago)

I did the same thing.  I put too muxh dry verm in and injected the spore solution into the verm.  Its fine, the verm will colonize a bit and then the myc will reach down into the sub.  Might take a little longer than planned, but it ahould still work.  Good luck!

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #25144289 - 04/16/18 10:22 PM (3 years, 24 days ago)

Thanks. Good to hear. I just hope it doesn't reduce the filtering effect the casing layer is supposed to have.

--------------------

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25144448 - 04/16/18 11:37 PM (3 years, 24 days ago)

It shouldn't, all my jars that this happened to turned out just fine.  You may notice some growth in the verm that looks a little suspect, mine looked a little gray, very whispy.  Then, after about a week, the substrate just underneath began to colonize.  So, if at first you see a light grey growth in the verm, don't be alarmed.  Just let it sit, and observe.  The myc will reach right on down in the sub, I really wouldn't worry much if i was you.  I already went through this exact same thing.

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #25145181 - 04/17/18 11:30 AM (3 years, 23 days ago)

Thanks. I already have myc growing in the substrate in one jar, so I'm not too worried about that.

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #25159750 - 04/23/18 01:37 PM (3 years, 17 days ago)

I'm 15 days into incubation now.
One jar is going good, another one is starting to go, but the third jar doesn't have any visible mycelium growing yet.
I've read that it can take longer than this to start seeing something, so I'm not too worried about it yet, especially since the temps were not great in the first 5 days or so, but now I'm wondering what people do when not all jars are colonized at the same pace but they want to fruit them at the same time.

I hope I didn't accidentally mixed up the jars while inoculating them, That I did one jar twice and skipped one.
Ah well, at least those two jars seem fine so far. i guess two out of three is something to be happy about for my first time, and I guess there's still hope for that third jar.

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #25164195 - 04/25/18 11:56 AM (3 years, 15 days ago)

Ok 17 days into incubation, the two jars are still going strong.
The one jar that didn't do anything so far now starts to show some growth, but it's probably not good.
There's some whiteish stuff starting to grow that might be mycelium, but I have my doubts as it doesn't really look a lot like what I saw in the other jars. It's just a few small spots though so it's hard to see.
But there seems to be something green/blueish growing among the white stuff too, which I assume is contamination.
Pretty sure the jar is fucked, which isn't such a big deal if the other two turn out fine, but it makes me wonder even more if I might have forgotten to inoculate that jar.
I guess I'm going to let it grow for a bit longer to see what it turns into. I hope I can see something that I know for sure is mycelium so I can rule out the possibility of that jar not being inoculated.

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #25166564 - 04/26/18 01:03 PM (3 years, 14 days ago)

Here's a pic of my progress so far. I only got a shitty webcam to take pictures with so the picture sucks balls, I hope it's clear enough.
I assume the yellowish stuff in the lower right jar are metabolites?
And I have no doubt that the green stuff in the upper jar is contamination, but I wonder if that white stuff around it is mycelium or if it could also be contamination, as I'm trying to figure out if I forgot to inoculate that jar or not.

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #25183580 - 05/04/18 10:50 AM (3 years, 6 days ago)

I tossed the contents of the jar that seemed to be contaminated, as after leaving it for a couple of days to see what it would do, the jar was filled with blue stuff.
The other two jars are doing great though, one just has a small spot on the bottom that still needs to be colonized and the other one is a bit more behind but getting close to being fully colonized too.

I just noticed some shrooms already growing in the almost finished jar though, and I'm not sure what to think of it.
I'm pretty sure I have seen pinning going on with jars that weren't fully colonized yet, but it's happening in the dry verm layer.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started