Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePinkTarantula
Male

Loc: Georgia Flag
Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse.
    #25122989 - 04/08/18 11:05 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, so I’ve lost pretty much all of my rooted Psychotria leaves to these bastards. I have three left and I’m pretty certain the third one is too far gone now to save. I’ve tried insecticidal soap. I’ve tried dawn. I’ve tried neem oil. I’ve tried letting the soil dry to the point the plants were at risk. I’d very much like to keep it organic or at the very least natural (I know dawn isn’t). However, at this point I’ll do what I need to in order to kill these pests. What will kill these things? I’ve never heard of them being a resilient pest but damn.

--------------------
:discorex:

Edited by PinkTarantula (04/08/18 11:11 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineArgyreia
Grafting cacti is awesome
Male

Loc: France Flag
Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: PinkTarantula]
    #25123007 - 04/08/18 11:11 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I get pests every winter in my grow room. Mainly gnats but also spider mites and mealy bugs. The best technique I found to kill them is letting the plant outdoors not sheltered from the elements. I don't know why but my pots are pests free after a few weeks outdoors.

I also try to control the invasion by killing with bare hands as many pests as I can every day or every two days or so.

OfflinePinkTarantula
Male

Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: Argyreia]
    #25123013 - 04/08/18 11:14 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Killing the gnats by hand sounds like some kind of ninja training haha. And unfortunately the great ol’ state of Georgia can’t decide if it wants to freeze or thaw so outside for any more than an afternoon isn’t an option right now. I spend about an hour each day moving and covering stuff depending on weather. Also I think I’d have to have them covered up or something g as they’re neither acclimated to nor supposed to have full sun.

--------------------

Offlinemmcc
Stranger

#25123024 - 04/08/18 11:17 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I’ve had trouble with them as well. I’ve topped all my pots with pumice stone so they can’t lay eggs and have nothing to feed on.

OfflinePinkTarantula
Male

Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: mmcc]
    #25123069 - 04/08/18 11:31 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Ive thought about doing that but had decided to hold off since most of the affected pots aren’t going to be very permanent. I’m going to do it anyways once I get this under control to prevent it from happeneing again. It has other benefits as well.

--------------------

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Loc: Where ppl are herded and ... Flag
Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: mmcc]
    #25123525 - 04/08/18 02:09 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mmcc said:
Yeah I’ve had trouble with them as well. I’ve topped all my pots with pumice stone so they can’t lay eggs and have nothing to feed on.

Ive tried this w several things. Never pumice. W my small potted cacti seedlings, i used diatomacious earth and that can cause ph increase and usually rocks up to a crust on top. For larger plants i ave used sand and perlite. Sometimes solo and sometimes mixed into layers. Using sand did seem effective, but it really made its way deep into the soil complex And caused what looked like nutrient lockup/ph issues. Since then, ive focused on straight perlite, w a really thick layer up as high as i can go. This has done me nicely as well. But one important thing for me, is whenever i see the larvae or infected soil, i get rid of it asap! No resurrection on my time :nosir: too much time and too big of a risk. Ill shake off as much of the soil as i can, then i run that fucker under a flowing faucet for a minute. Then dunk in a pitcher of clean water and move onto the next one. Once its sat in the pitcher for a minute, i rinse it off again and then dip into another cup of water before it makes its way into its new soil home. In between each washing/soAking, ill inspect the roots very carefully and bust up and remaining clumps or whatever. Sometimes cutting off the shitty, difficult roots. If the plant is large enough and looks worth saving, ill take this approach... if its wimpy and is so sick looking that its sad, ill likely just toss it and count it as a loss.

Fungus gnats are rough man. Im sorry for your difficuluties w them. Id be crying if i lost a few psychotrias... never grew them, but i lost a very expensive and beautiful red vein thai kratom to them. Shit broke my heart :facepalm:

--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

'Great Spirit, today, let me touch the Earth so the Earth can touch me.'

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

A monkey w/out his jungle is just an inmate-- :heart:lipa

InvisibleDoalrite
Meat popsicle
I'm a teapot

Loc: Here, there, everywhere
Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: Lipa Kreepa]
    #25123542 - 04/08/18 02:16 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Top the dirt with a thick layer of sand
Hang fly paper

--------------------
“Every man is guilty of the good he did not do”
“There is no right or wrong human behavior, there is only healthy and unhealthy.”

InvisibleFeroxx
Master of the Green Fist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cruel sun
Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: Doalrite]
    #25123552 - 04/08/18 02:21 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

sometimes, you might have it easy to put the soil on a bag then on the freezer

Invisiblevatman
I'm Vatman

Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: Feroxx]
    #25123561 - 04/08/18 02:27 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Neem cake/neem meal seems seem to be a temporary relief.

Larva are the hardest to kill.

You can use a ratio of 4 to 1 hydro peroxide to water.

I didn't water some pots for a 3 weeks. Looking through the soil I saw live larva.

Hydrogen peroxide is the only thing I found effective against larva. Some drenches do work but you really have to drench the soil with the organic pesticide even though it is organic it can be toxic to young plants.

If you have a fogger use an organic pesticide like pythrim and fog the place. (Pythrim is organic breaks down fast but still not good to breath.)

Quote:

Doalrite said:
Top the dirt with a thick layer of sand
Hang fly paper

They will enter the pot through the bottom of the pot too.

Edited by vatman (04/08/18 02:28 PM)

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: vatman]
    #25123590 - 04/08/18 02:45 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

There is a special type of BT bacteria that can target and kill both gnat and moiquito larvae in very damp/infected areas. I want to say its the bt var. israelensis type. Theres not a lot of products i could find out there that contain it. I found some dunks by summit that are claimed to be safe for container plants. Theyre these hard pressed disks, that can prob be broken into chunks and siiolved into some water which one then dunks their soil medium in... if i recall its a 24hr soak/dunk. I bought some online but never used them as the other methods i utilized improved the situation for the time being. Heads up though... Regular bt, for catepillars and such, wont work for the soil larvae though

--------------------

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

Invisiblevatman
I'm Vatman

#25123607 - 04/08/18 02:51 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I used BTI bits on the soil. They didn't do much. BTI itself does work vs fungus gnat larva. You tend to need x5 the quantity to kill fungus gnat larva compared to misquotes. Liquid bti I have read works better. Otherwise you are looking as soaking the bits for awhile in the water.

OfflinePinkTarantula
Male

#25123656 - 04/08/18 03:17 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Lipa Kreepa said:

Fungus gnats are rough man. Im sorry for your difficuluties w them. Id be crying if i lost a few psychotrias... never grew them, but i lost a very expensive and beautiful red vein thai kratom to them. Shit broke my heart :facepalm:

Yea it has. I’ve lost 17 so far. An 18th isn’t far behind.

I went ahead and repotted the three pots that seemed to have the worst infestation. The roots look pretty rough on the plant I wasn’t sure about. I’m going to try the peroxide route too. The problem is that most of the options are a catch 22. Fungus Gnats thrive on moist soil and most of the remedies involve soaking the soil. I’d rather stay away from DE and sand since it will wash down into the soil and cause an issue there. If the weather would finally heat up again then I feel like I could handle it a bit better since the soil would dry in a day or two and I could do repeated soaks. As it stands now the soil stays wet for a few inches down for nearly a week or more. Which is another issue altogether. I put a fan into the green house today so hopefully that will help. I also added a fly strip and two more sticky sheets to make a total of four sticky sheets today.

--------------------

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

#25123673 - 04/08/18 03:26 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Good luck buddy. Idk whats up w this late cold weather here in the south. Im gulf coast and its like fifty something outside today... in april! :shocked: i hope a few of them make it. Sometimes just having one make it through can be enough to pave the way to better days. Hang in there man

--------------------

InvisibleDualWieldRake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8b
    #25123763 - 04/08/18 04:07 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: DualWieldRake]
    #25123855 - 04/08/18 04:46 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm, i actually have a 4 watt laser diode with lens and driver and all somewhere.
But that would be too dangerous for the eyes.

Hydrogen peroxide will kill them all.
Just dont make a too strong solution so the plant get affected.
Some spray 3% straight onto plants but i dillute to 1%.
Try on one plant first to see its OK.
You need to water or spray soil much so it gets down into all the soil.

Oh i remember my mother had a fix for these.
She took some swedish snuff, basicly tobacco but stonger nicotine than smoking tobacco, and let leech in water that she later watered the plants with.
It was the nicotine that killed the fly larvae but didnt do anything to the plants.
Maybe worth a try.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

Edited by Mateo (04/08/18 04:52 PM)

OfflinePinkTarantula
Male

Re: Fungus Gnats in my greenhouse. [Re: Mateo]
    #25124051 - 04/08/18 06:19 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I’ve got a N. Rustica plant growing. I wonder if a couple of leaves from that ground up and steeped over night in water would be effective.

--------------------

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25124155 - 04/08/18 07:16 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Worth to try an experiment.
Maybe it works real good.

--------------------

OfflinePinkTarantula
Male

#25124189 - 04/08/18 07:37 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mateo said:
Worth to try an experiment.
Maybe it works real good.

Yea I think I’ll give it a shot.

A side note. I did try the sterile container Trich grow that you had recommended I try again. It’s working pretty well. I have quite a few Icaro x Dawson’s Terscheckiis germinating.

--------------------

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25127556 - 04/10/18 05:36 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------

OfflinePinkTarantula
Male

#25129362 - 04/10/18 07:22 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Coincidentally enough I popped the top today. There’s some kind of fungus or the like literally eating the tissue of the cactus. No idea what it is. I’ve never seen it before and it’s on these terscheckiis and some bonny terscheckiis o have.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order