Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Autoclave

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDrMushroom
Human Farmer
I'm a teapot

Loc: Australia
How would i go about making a pure/clean natto (bacillus subtilis) culture
    #25122292 - 04/08/18 04:12 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Is it possible to exploit the fact natto bacteria bacillus subtilis has an extremely high tolerance for heat?

I suspect that due to where they are stored, the only source of store bought natto i can get is unsuitable for use. While the natto itself may be clean, the container is likely not, as i keep getting the exact same contamination, a sour-alcohol smelling bacteria that is present though not dominating the natto, it smells like  rancid vegetable liquids, like you would get in the bottom of a food scraps bucket (for anyone that has chickens or pigs youd know this one).

Anyway, i dont like the idea of starting with dirty microbes and wishing for the best, how would i go about making a clean culture, perhaps exploting the autoclave resistance of natto endospores, or the live microbes generally high heat tolerance?

Or other methods, i dont know how bacteria cleaning on agar works

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefalcon
In the green

Re: How would i go about making a pure/clean natto (bacillus subtilis) culture [Re: DrMushroom]
    #25124112 - 04/08/18 08:51 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Weird, I haven't tried to isolate a culture, but I've used store bought natto a lot of times for making natto, and have never had a contaminate. Even after sometimes three generations away from the store bought.
Are you buying it frozen? That's how I usually buy it.

It's very resistant to heat, sometimes I'll add the store bought, about a teaspoon, to the beans two or three cup usually, I've cooked and haven't cooled them much, probably in the 150 to 160F range.

OfflineDrMushroom
Human Farmer
I'm a teapot

Loc: Australia
Re: How would i go about making a pure/clean natto (bacillus subtilis) culture [Re: falcon]
    #25126313 - 04/09/18 07:03 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

my last grow failed since while the beans were sterile, they werent cooked, which apparently means that other bacteria can roll in.

Im going to try 1 more time, this time using another recipe/method/tek, before i look at going full sterility on this.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Autoclave

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing