Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTurok
Umbra
funky smell in cakes
    #2512120 - 04/01/04 11:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, my freind has this tub with some cakes that were inoculated almost 2 weeks ago. some of them are showing good growth and everything seems normal. these are brown rice flour and verm jars. he covered them with foil to keep out light and then put them in this small tub, almost perfect fo rthe amount of jars, 8. when he opened the tub after a week to check them for the first time he noticed a funky sweet smell from the tub, then again when he checked them two days later. there are no signs of contams but the smell has him a little worried. he has grown one other time but forgets if this smell happened last time he went through the proccess. does anyne have some advice or speculations or maybe even answers. thankyou.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHowardo
Male User Gallery

Loc: No left turn unstoned
Re: funky smell in cakes [Re: Turok]
    #2512478 - 04/01/04 11:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

mmm sweet mushroom smell! it's so... sweet. as long as they look fine and keep growin you're all good. enjoy :P

-howardo

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: funky smell in cakes [Re: Howardo]
    #2512618 - 04/01/04 11:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

look to see if you have brownish water looking liquid in there.

Although, since you are using BRF, it prolly isn't the wet contam that is common in grain.  In fact, all my grain jars got that damn contam.  :frown:

Good thing I had some Quinoa/verm jars as backup.

OfflineTurok
Umbra
Re: funky smell in cakes [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #2514077 - 04/02/04 12:56 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

that sucks man.

here was another ?. the flushes that my friend has had have been decent i guess, for the first time. off of 6 cakes the yield is on average 10g. i have noticed also that the caps usually aren't very large at all, the strain is cambodian and the caps ive seen in other peoples flushes seem much bigger, the stems get to be pretty long, about 4"-7" or so, but the caps are rather pitiful. how can i get bigger yields and bigger caps, ive tried dunking and that didn't really do all that much except make them grow faster. what can be done? thanks to anyone who answers.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2514376 - 04/02/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Size of the shrooms depends on the substrate and the conditions under which they were grown. The biggest fruits seem to come from cased poo, but you can grow some pretty big ones just casing grains. A pf cake in a terrarium is not mormally gonna grow huge fruits unless you break it up and case it.

Sometimes a sweet smell can hang around an incubator without meaning contam, but its not good. start spraying the inside and outside with rubbing alcohol. check all jars for anything that looks like wet spots. the sweet smelling contams you're looking for are usually characterized by a darkening wetness that starts to cover the substrate.

SM

--------------------

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#2517179 - 04/02/04 03:04 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Turok said:
that sucks man.

here was another ?.  the flushes that my friend has had have been decent i guess, for the first time.  off of 6 cakes the yield is on average 10g.  i have noticed also that the caps usually aren't very large at all, the strain is cambodian and the caps ive seen in other peoples flushes seem much bigger, the stems get to be pretty long, about 4"-7" or so, but the caps are rather pitiful.  how can i get bigger yields and bigger caps, ive tried dunking and that didn't really do all that much except make them grow faster.  what can be done? thanks to anyone who answers.

And I'm assuming that "I" is your friends name, right?  That's a dutch name, right?  Which makes sense, since your friend lives in Holland, a country where growing mushrooms is legal.....right?

Quote:

simplemachine said:
Sometimes a sweet smell can hang around an incubator without meaning contam, but its not good. start spraying the inside and outside with rubbing alcohol. check all jars for anything that looks like wet spots. the sweet smelling contams you're looking for are usually characterized by a darkening wetness that starts to cover the substrate.

SM

Yea, both smell sweet, but the sweet smell of shroom is slightly different than the sweet smell of wet spot.  Wetspot is a sweet smell that is a bit more "sour".  Like pickles, but a little sweeter.  The sweet shroom smell is more mild, and slightly pleasent.  Like overripe strawberries, but not as citrisy or fragrent.  Does that make sense?

Theres a couple really good pics of wetspot on the contam FAQ, but I really don't think he has wetspot, since he is using BRF.  Wetspot is really a contam that attacks grain substraits.  It is caused by the germs or spores that live in the grain surviving the PC, since they are in spore form.  You can combat this by soaking the grain for 24 hours, and then PCing it for at least an hour @ at least 10PSI.

Hope that helps.

OfflineTurok
Umbra
Re: funky smell in cakes [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #2526173 - 04/05/04 01:09 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yes, i call my friend "i" sometimes because of an inside joke a long time ago, and he actually does live in Holland, he he, funny that you knew that. thanks for the help, ill tell him.

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#2536468 - 04/07/04 08:49 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:tongue2:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation