Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewayfaring_stranger
Stranger
Starting questions
    #25121155 - 04/07/18 05:36 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Hello everyone.

I am about to start my first ever attempt at growing psilocybe cubensis. I have the spore syringe already, waiting patiently in my cabinet.

I was going to wait for the weather to warm up before growing, so I could allow the jars to colonize without having an incubator. But it looks like winter was extended this year, so I am going with the incubator approach.

I have a Styrofoam cooler, in which I've cut a hole in the side big enough for a lamp to shine into. I've been monitoring the temperature, and it is about 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Have any of you had experience with an incubator like this before?

Another option I have is to use a space heater. The jars would then be exposed to indirect sunlight.

From what I gather, it's not important whether or not the jars are exposed to light. Is this true? Even if the light is shining directly at the jars in close proximity? Or should I cover the jars with a cloth?

And is it a good idea to leave the contraption unattended while I'm at work?

One more question, should I use lids AND foil for my jars, or is foil alone sufficient?

Thank you for your time!

Edited by wayfaring_stranger (04/07/18 05:47 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJust_A_Noob
Breathing
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting questions [Re: wayfaring_stranger]
    #25121205 - 04/07/18 06:03 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Is your house that cold?  Room temp is fine

--------------------

Wearing a mask is bad for my physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
Complying = Consent
Wide Mouth 1/2 Pint No-Pour TEK
TC Teks & Links

OfflineMadcapper144
Drummer
Male User Gallery

#25121206 - 04/07/18 06:03 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I've try'd every know way to keep my jars and sub in "ideal" temp. Everyone brought with it some other unforseen negative that made the whole process way more difficult then it needed to be. The space heater dryer stuff out, the grow mat in courage bacteria, the humidifier made things to wet, and nothing I did kept temp "ideal" for long either going to high or low when I wasn't looking. Please take my advice on this unless your dropping below 60 degrees just let it be. It might take a few more days to colonize with the lower temps but in the long run it will save you alot of headach!!

--------------------
Buy the ticket, take the ride!! :fearandloathing:

InvisibleDoalrite
Meat popsicle
I'm a teapot

Loc: Here, there, everywhere
Re: Starting questions [Re: Madcapper144]
    #25121214 - 04/07/18 06:08 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

All you seek is already here.
Everything you ask has been answered.

Good luck

--------------------
“Every man is guilty of the good he did not do”
“There is no right or wrong human behavior, there is only healthy and unhealthy.”

Stranger
Re: Starting questions [Re: Madcapper144]
    #25121217 - 04/07/18 06:09 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the replies everyone. My house is around 60 degrees fahrenheit. So this shouldnt be a problem? I can just stick them in the cabinet and let them be?

InvisibleJust_A_Noob
Breathing
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Cultivator
    #25121224 - 04/07/18 06:13 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

That should work.  How bout a shelf somewhere where they can get some ambient light.  I'm assuming you're doing PF-TEK.  You want to use lids and foil.  You take the foil off after sterilization

--------------------

Wearing a mask is bad for my physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
Complying = Consent
Wide Mouth 1/2 Pint No-Pour TEK
TC Teks & Links

InvisibleDoalrite
Meat popsicle
I'm a teapot

Loc: Here, there, everywhere
    #25121227 - 04/07/18 06:14 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

You should bury them at least 16 inches outside and water generously
Facing east of course

--------------------
“Every man is guilty of the good he did not do”
“There is no right or wrong human behavior, there is only healthy and unhealthy.”

OfflineMycosperiment
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
    #25121247 - 04/07/18 06:26 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

An incubator is usually not needed.  A cool room temperature will slow the growth some but shouldn't hurt them.  An incubator can dry out the jars before they are fully colonized. 

Light shouldn't hurt them (and might actually be good) as long as it doesn't overheat them.  A space heater to heat the whole room they are in is probably better (and safer) than an improvised incubator.

Make sure if you use an incubator of some kind that it isn't going to start a fire.  Probably better to not leave it on while you can't babysit it if there is any chance it will malfunction.  Besides possibly starting a fire, you could cook your jars and kill them if it gets too hot.  If you don't need to hide them, the top of the refrigerator (not inside the fridge) might be plenty warm enough.

Assuming you are going to try the PF method, the lids alone plus the dry vermiculite should be enough.  The foil would be used in addition to the lids to keep water from dripping in them while they are sterilized but is removed when you use them.  I would probably use some kind of filter on the holes too but the dry vermiculite is supposed to be enough.  I tried just foil before without a lid and the jar dried out very fast.

Stranger
Re: Starting questions [Re: Mycosperiment]
    #25121500 - 04/07/18 08:10 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

thanks guys! My jars are currently being pressure cooked :smile:

OfflineJustintime56
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25121538 - 04/07/18 08:29 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I previously had three other coolers that I used. Had to throw them out sadly, in my experience once you inoc the styrofoam coolers only open them in a sterile environment (might be obvious.) Opening them leaves room for a lot of contams to get in, but that might have just been me being a n00b as well. Good luck!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation