Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Ul'dah
Re: Another "my first (stealth) grow" thread [Re: UnsungHero]
    #25047999 - 03/08/18 09:29 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

UnsungHero said:
Absolutely brilliant. :thumbup: really nice build and project dude!

Thanks! :smile: Still a WIP but im glad its getting some likes! Maybe ill make a more detailed "tek" of sorts once I get the hang of cultivating and work out all the kinks.

Last night I put about 2 quarts (1/4 brick) worth of coir mixed with 1 dry cup of verm and about 5 cups of water into my 6in1 pressure cooker (slow cooker mode, 140-180F) and left to cool overnight. Broke a cardinal rule of mycology... PATIENCE. Some minor mistakes were made but it was a last minute thing and my cakes werent looking too good anymore. They were soft on the bottom and tough on top. All in all I think it has a better chance. Btw, thanks Doc!

I know im supposed to wait 7-10 days before opening but for 2 quarts and 2 pints worth of cakes in small a 20qt container? Also its airtight atm, holes taped up and all, should I FAE once in a while or is that just for when its time to fruit? There is plenty of headroom, 6-8 inches. Not fully caught up on monotubs ... or is this a shoebox... come to think of it, whats the difference? Is it just overall size?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
Re: Another "my first (stealth) grow" thread [Re: kayo]
    #25048133 - 03/08/18 11:19 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I birthed these 2 4 days ago, thats what I'll do when they are done.

--------------------
LET EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO YOU
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "my first (stealth) grow" thread [Re: Doc9151]
    #25077289 - 03/20/18 11:40 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all, thought id do a quick update/check up even though not much has happened since last time. Its been 12 days already and for some reason the sub still hasnt quite fully colonized yet but its going. My guess is my ratios were off using 2 quarts coir and 1 cup verm for less than 1 full quart of cheese grated BRF cakes (that have already gone through 1 flush) so its taking a bit longer.

Does coir provide any additional nutrients to mycelium or does it just colonize it for water source? Should I expect any more than a single flush from this? Not that id hate it, im kinda looking forward to doing a proper grain spawn mini-mono from prints next. Maybe a clone if im feeling ballsy. Even ordered some glass plates and a 500mL bottle for agar.

No weird smells, or growth that I can see with my untrained eye and smells like fresh dirt/coir) ... so far. These are from day 11.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Another "my first (stealth) grow" thread [Re: kayo] * 1
    #25077445 - 03/20/18 01:02 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Coir doesn't have any nutrition, it just holds water and gives the mushrooms more surface to grow from. You can still get about 3 flushes like a cake, or about 2 more in your case. You can tell when they are running out of food, your mushies will be fewer and smaller.

Not sure on time frame, maybe you're right about a fruiting substrate takin little more time to go back to colonizing?

Agar's fun and isn't seeming to be too hard. Just started first few attempts with it myself. What you really got to lose by tryin it ya know?

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "my first (stealth) grow" thread [Re: LtLurker]
    #25077851 - 03/20/18 04:25 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Well I had like a <1:2.5 ratio of cake to coir/verm. Less than 4 half pint cakes (quart) to 2+ quarts of coir plus another cup of verm so that may be why its taking longer too. Also the cakes were pretty dry towards the top end. Who knows
:shrug:
Just glad they still look ok.

TBH I wasnt interested in agar at first but it seems like the most effective way of starting from prints. Depending how this flush does ill probably do one more and get some prints from it to start on agar with.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25110333 - 04/03/18 09:36 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Hi again, another quick update.

Hit a bit of a snag recently. Everything up to now went really well, sub colonized, pins formed quick and I got about another pints worth of dry mushies. Now however things seem to have stalled. My first guess is its time for a dunk but everything still seems rather wet so maybe its just reached the end of its food. The sub has definitely contracted somewhat, plenty of pins or baby mushies but everything seems to have stalled, almost feels like everything is aborting. Heavy misting doesnt seem to help either. I actually picked one of the bigger ones yesterday and it felt "weak" and kind of slimy and mushy definitely not dry.

Anyway, see for yourself, lmk what ya think. Its more or less stayed this way for about 2 days. Mind you, these have been been through a flush already as (poorly managed) cakes, then put to colonize a 1:2.5 ratio of coir/verm, and spit out another decent flush.

Aside from that Ive finally delved into agar. Made 2 plates from Steel Cut Oatmeal, one with spores and another with the fibery guts of a fresh pick. I wanted a nice blood red one but it came out pink so its kinda hard to see the tiny bit of growth thats started on it but its all still there and growing clean so far (pics are before inoculation).

Is there another common household nutrition source for agar thats more clear? Malt/Molasses are dark but might look better watered down with 500mL. Pasta water maybe? I was thinking of trying a 3rd or 4th flush of white rice rinse water with some honey as well. Thanks again! :grin:

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#25110386 - 04/03/18 10:20 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

"Weak" wet mushies sounds like your sub is getting saturated, maybe stop misting a few days.

If you just got a flush off it, it's gonna take more like a week to start setting more pins, 2 days is just too soon.

For agar nutrition, powdered potatoes works fine, doesn't take much and pretty clear.

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
    #25112467 - 04/04/18 01:25 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Use light malt extract or extra light malt extract with your agar. Do not boil your agar (if powdered), boil the water, remove from heat and slowly add the agar and malt extract while stirring until dissolved. Extra light malt will give clear agar like in a lab.

Edited by Doc9151 (04/04/18 01:34 AM)

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "my first (stealth) grow" thread [Re: Doc9151]
    #25118120 - 04/06/18 01:16 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Ok so I think im going to go ahead and fill with water. Been three days no misting at all and not much has changed. Starting to think it just doesnt have the energy to grow more but since I still havent even started colonizing grains for my next run yet, I may as well push for another flush.

Its basically just fill the tub with enough water to float the sub a bit then drain after 12-24 hours right? Quick question, if I want to do that floating Bods Harvest Tek do I plug up the holes with duct tape? Been twist/pulling them out and not too happy with the holes its leaving.

Also finally got some proper wraps for petri dishes so its much more visible. Check out the progress, lmk if anything is off. :laugh:

One is a clone (right) the other (left) is from as few spores I could get on the tip of an exacto knife. Another question, why do the zigzag for inoculating? Isnt the point to get as few unique dikarytic growths as possible?

Assuming everything stays clean ill be using the clone to noc up my next grow and use the spore dish to play/practice around with more agar... different soups, half-assed isolating, and cleaning up contaminated samples. Is LME sold in grocery stores or would I need some specialty store? Would beer or "Malta" work? Plenty of that laying around here lol

Edited by kayo (04/06/18 02:00 PM)

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#25118162 - 04/06/18 01:32 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Someone was just askin about this on shoebox thread. More like 2 hours is all it needs to soak apparently. I like cutting more to now.

Nice pics
They look good. Spores on right? Could transfer from edge now i think. I forget who it was but I seen suggested to take transfer from spores soon after germination. Left(Clone?) grow some more.

The zig-zag is to pull the spores & contams in the spore solution across a larger area so they're more seperated. Easier to get a clean sample.

Good job man.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25118219 - 04/06/18 01:53 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Hi LT, thanks for quick reply. Sorry wrong order. Clone is on the right, spores on left. It does look like its a clone though but that discoloration in the center is probably from when I "stabbed" the spored knife into the agar.

Clone was going straight to grain but do you think it can still be possibly contaminated? For sure growing out the spores more. Guess im lucky my tiny inculation spot hasnt contaminated as of yet if at all.

Cool so ill be starting flush 3 tonight then! Thx again.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#25118331 - 04/06/18 02:34 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

oh i thought the center was a piece of tissue, and the right pic had 3 cuts where you dragged your spore covered knife. :shrug:

I've been taking from spores day after I see germination, then let that first transfer grow out, again I'm not 100% sure but it's workin for me so far.

Your clone could be contaminated. You might not see the contam right away. Let myc grow out and transfer it atleast twice on plates to ensure it's clean.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started