Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineConundrumFischer
Friend

So its spring. What do you have planted? * 1
    #25102370 - 03/30/18 02:21 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

In the 4x4 cedar bed:
Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce
Monstrueux de Viroflay Spinach
Cherry Belle Radishes
Maui Maui Onion
Nasturtium

In the ground: All season strawberries(unknown variety just took some runners from my sister)

In containers: Oregon Giant Snow peas(on trellis)
Orange and Red marigolds
White and Purple Asylum
Maroon Pansies

I also have a plan to extend the cedar bed by adding another 4x4 foot bed beside the current one.

What do you have planned for this spring season?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineashfiken
TotalCrazyasshole
Male User Gallery

Loc: SCranton
Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: ConundrumFischer] * 1
    #25103875 - 03/31/18 07:21 AM (6 years, 17 days ago)

1 strawberry plant
Some sunflowers
Poppies sowed last oct
10 each squash and cukes (pickling)
Herbs/barrier plants
Succoured a blackberry bramble back to life that was bad off
Mj
Attempting to procure some peppers and if I'm not to late tomato seeds(heirloom)
Planted some phlox for the wife

Cheers

--------------------
hmm...

"I'm naked and fearless... And my fear is naked."

"life isn't worth living without the threat of death"

"I got my plans in a ziploc bag, let's see how unproductive we can be"

"nobody lives their lives fully except for bull fighters"

My Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: ashfiken] * 1
    #25104117 - 03/31/18 10:14 AM (6 years, 17 days ago)

Marjoram
California Fan Palm
Black Mission Fig
Globe Artichoke

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineConundrumFischer
Friend

Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: Grey Fox]
    #25106323 - 04/01/18 09:50 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

ashfiken said:
Poppies sowed last oct

Picked up some golden poppy seed after reading this. I need to have the state flower.

Quote:

Grey Fox said:
Marjoram
California Fan Palm
Black Mission Fig
Globe Artichoke

Artichokes are a crazy plant. How do you collect the seeds?

OfflineSofaking420
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myco mountain
    #25106331 - 04/01/18 09:59 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Several flats of flowers, marigolds, zenas, cosmos, moon flowers, bachler buttons.

I have several peppers growing from last year's seed, hot peppers are kinda my thing. 170 Garlics planted last year. We have a large fenced in garden.

OfflineConundrumFischer
Friend

Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: Sofaking420]
    #25106377 - 04/01/18 10:23 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Sofaking420 said:
Several flats of flowers, marigolds, zenas, cosmos, moon flowers, bachler buttons.

I have several peppers growing from last year's seed, hot peppers are kinda my thing. 170 Garlics planted last year. We have a large fenced in garden.

I tried to get some reaper and ghost pepper plants from my nursery yesterday. They were covered in hundreds of aphids so I couldn't get them. :shrug:

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#25106638 - 04/01/18 12:48 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

I only have some peas, spinach, broccoli, and I think I just had some lettuce sprout in the garden. The last frost is still a few weeks away so everything else are indoors for now. San Marzanos, a few types of heirloom tomatoes (black beuties, some other type of black tomatoe, rainbow tomatoes), pablanos, cayenne, jalopenos, habaneros, bells, and I think some anaheim chilis. Eggplant, various other brocolli, cauliflour, and spinach, two types of hops, collards, chard, kale, oregano, majoram, parsley, cilantro, basil, squash, zucchini, and an heirloom squash, marshmallow, lions tail, lemon balm, dill, sage, marigolds, cosmos, echniacea, pansys, lavender, and maybe a few things I'm forgetting.

I also have a plot of rye outside that I will replace with corn, squash, and pole beans once it flowers. Oh, and I also have some poppies, rasberries, strawberries, rosemary, thyme, and garlic in the garden.

So far about half of the tomatoes and peppers I'm having issues getting to germinate so I'm not sure how many will actually make it to the garden, one of my san marzanos is already ~2 feet tall though and I have a jalopeno about ~8" tall that was doing very well, but I messed the roots up and it hasn't grown in about a month now : /.

Edited by krypto2000 (04/01/18 12:55 PM)

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: ConundrumFischer]
    #25107270 - 04/01/18 07:52 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

ConundrumFischer said:

Artichokes are a crazy plant. How do you collect the seeds?

This is my first time growing artichoke. It is a perennial in my climate. I planted a seedling that was purchased from a garden center. Not sure about collecting seed, but if this one does well I'm pretty sure it can be divided in the winter.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisibleMoonFarmer
peasant
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: Grey Fox] * 1
    #25109297 - 04/02/18 06:45 PM (6 years, 15 days ago)

All of my herbs are out of dormancy:
Garlic chives
Bronze fennnel
Lemon Balm
Pineapple Sage
Bee Balm
Catmint

My frost date is still a month away so some carrots, kale, and poppies in the ground is all for now.

--------------------
:hypnotoad:

Invisiblenymph
Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: MoonFarmer]
    #25110783 - 04/03/18 11:32 AM (6 years, 14 days ago)

Still waiting for my last frost date here but I have some cayanne and jalepeƱo pepper plants, thyme, and heirloom tomatoes started indoors, planning to also grow some potatoes, a couple other herbs and have a raised bed that was taken over by strawberries last year.

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Boof Hard Or Go Home
Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: nymph]
    #25114970 - 04/05/18 02:09 AM (6 years, 12 days ago)

Well this is my first year growing from seed sooo im hoping for...

Catnip
Chives
Spearmint
Four varieties of cucumbers
Two varieties of tomatoes
Six varieties of peppers

Black eyed Susan's
Lupine's
Ornamental cactus mix

I did not have a good light source at first so a lot of them got the stretch.
Im hoping for the best. :thumbup:
At least almost everything germinated!!! :sun:

--------------------

A Man Must Learn To Sail In All Winds.:bliss: RIP ModestMouse & Big Worm:heart:

OfflineConundrumFischer
Friend

Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: MoonFarmer] * 1
    #25131240 - 04/11/18 04:17 PM (6 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

nymph said:
Still waiting for my last frost date here but I have some cayanne and jalepeƱo pepper plants, thyme, and heirloom tomatoes started indoors, planning to also grow some potatoes, a couple other herbs and have a raised bed that was taken over by strawberries last year.

Pull those strawberry runners and start giving them away!

Quote:

Snakeye said:
Well this is my first year growing from seed sooo im hoping for...

Catnip
Chives
Spearmint
Four varieties of cucumbers
Two varieties of tomatoes
Six varieties of peppers

Black eyed Susan's
Lupine's
Ornamental cactus mix

I did not have a good light source at first so a lot of them got the stretch.
Im hoping for the best. :thumbup:
At least almost everything germinated!!! :sun:

Just picked up a couple San Marzano tomatoes and am realizing that I have no idea what I'm doing. Tomatoes seem like more of an art than a science.

Quote:

MoonFarmer said:
All of my herbs are out of dormancy:
Garlic chives
Bronze fennnel
Lemon Balm
Pineapple Sage
Bee Balm
Catmint

My frost date is still a month away so some carrots, kale, and poppies in the ground is all for now.

Planted some kale. Completely forgot I had those seeds until you posted this. I also need to start some herbs.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#25131309 - 04/11/18 04:49 PM (6 years, 6 days ago)

What was wrong with your san marzanos? Last year those were the only tomatoes that performed well for me besides some cherry tomatoes I transplanted from the compost; I probably would have had 3 gallons or more of cherries had I picked them but I don't like cherries so they all went right back into the compost lol.

OfflineConundrumFischer
Friend

Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: krypto2000]
    #25131340 - 04/11/18 05:04 PM (6 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
What was wrong with your san marzanos? Last year those were the only tomatoes that performed well for me besides some cherry tomatoes I transplanted from the compost; I probably would have had 3 gallons or more of cherries had I picked them but I don't like cherries so they all went right back into the compost lol.

There is no real problem yet. I used to leafy greens an such. i need to learn more about tomatoes but I made an impulse buy.

I'm just a little overwhelmed with how much info there is on tomatoes and peppers. And I'm not sure what to implement.

• I don't really know how to prune my plants. How far should the lowest leaf stem be from the ground? Where should my "suckers" be and how many should I keep
  • Do I need calcium/lime? Am I going to get blossom end rot without it? Because I totally didn't throw that in when I planted them
  • I also am not 100% on how to best tie the plants to a trellis

Edited by ConundrumFischer (04/11/18 05:56 PM)

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#25131381 - 04/11/18 05:19 PM (6 years, 6 days ago)

San marzanos are determinate, meaning they grow to a certain height and then put out fruit (albeit they will put out flowers/fruit in the process as well). Ime you want to trim the bottom after a certain height to give them good airflow, 6-18 inches maybe (it depends what you have planted under them, if just mulch/nothing 6-8 is probably fine).

From there you can basically leave them alone, or apply fertilizer per the recommended rate if you want. After they reach a certain size they will start putting out a lot of fruit. Again at that point you just wait (and again fertilize with a fruit formula if you want per the recommended rate), the fruits will grow and suck the nutrients out of the leaves until you are essentially left with a bunch of branches full of ripe red tomatoes and no leaves. They tend to all ripen at once, but if you want you can pick them green and ripen them early.

If you notice end rot then you can apply some calcium of some kind but you can't really know otherwise unless you have the soil tested. There are other things you can do as well, trim the tops to encourage fruits for instance, but that's the basics of growing determinates/san marzanos ime.

OfflineConundrumFischer
Friend

Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: krypto2000]
    #25131478 - 04/11/18 06:06 PM (6 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
San marzanos are determinate, meaning they grow to a certain height and then put out fruit (albeit they will put out flowers/fruit in the process as well). Ime you want to trim the bottom after a certain height to give them good airflow, 6-18 inches maybe (it depends what you have planted under them, if just mulch/nothing 6-8 is probably fine).

From there you can basically leave them alone, or apply fertilizer per the recommended rate if you want. After they reach a certain size they will start putting out a lot of fruit. Again at that point you just wait (and again fertilize with a fruit formula if you want per the recommended rate), the fruits will grow and suck the nutrients out of the leaves until you are essentially left with a bunch of branches full of ripe red tomatoes and no leaves. They tend to all ripen at once, but if you want you can pick them green and ripen them early.

If you notice end rot then you can apply some calcium of some kind but you can't really know otherwise unless you have the soil tested. There are other things you can do as well, trim the tops to encourage fruits for instance, but that's the basics of growing determinates/san marzanos ime.

Thank you for the quick grow guide. You have relieved much stress.

I have enough room in the container to put one more tomato plant but I'd rather not(I only eat tomatoes via sauce and I don't eat much tomato sauce either). I'd love to just throw some herb in there with it or perhaps some zucchini hanging off the side. Any suggestions on other veggies I could grow along side tomatoes?

Edited by ConundrumFischer (04/11/18 07:16 PM)

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#25131534 - 04/11/18 06:39 PM (6 years, 6 days ago)

I wouldn't put a zucchini, those guys grow pretty big and will likely compete for nutrients. I normally grow various herbs underneath mine, basil and oregano primarily. They don't grow tall or root deep so they don't compete for nutrients, they deter pests and prevent weeds as a ground cover, and of course you can also add them to the sauce.

The only other thing I tend to plant under mine are marigolds, but if you are going for food the herbs would be your best bet. I normally make my sauce with basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary. Rosemary grows fairly big and overwinters so probably isn't a good idea, I would think thyme would work well but I have not tried it myself, it also overwinters and I already have more than I need established elsewhere.

OfflineConundrumFischer
Friend

Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: krypto2000] * 1
    #25131833 - 04/11/18 08:43 PM (6 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
I wouldn't put a zucchini, those guys grow pretty big and will likely compete for nutrients. I normally grow various herbs underneath mine, basil and oregano primarily. They don't grow tall or root deep so they don't compete for nutrients, they deter pests and prevent weeds as a ground cover, and of course you can also add them to the sauce.

The only other thing I tend to plant under mine are marigolds, but if you are going for food the herbs would be your best bet. I normally make my sauce with basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary. Rosemary grows fairly big and overwinters so probably isn't a good idea, I would think thyme would work well but I have not tried it myself, it also overwinters and I already have more than I need established elsewhere.

I had some basil seeds so I threw them in. Lets see how this goes.

OfflinePatchouli_Savage
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere between here an...
    #25140766 - 04/15/18 10:53 AM (6 years, 2 days ago)

Nothing- there is a blizzard outside right now and I don't have a ton of room indoors to start seeds. I have a lot of herbs established from last year- lavender, parsley, comfrey, fennell, sage, thyme, rosemary, loveage (sp) catnip. All still dormant under the snow. I do have a gift card for a local greenhouse so I will get some starts  for veggies and additional herbs when the weather cooperates. I have a lot of other landscaping projects to accomplish in addition to gardening though. I have plum trees and rosebushes that came with the property that need to be pruned extensively or removed. A mostly dead lilac Bush that must be removed. A fire pit to dig. I'm waiting as patiently as I can for spring.

--------------------
"You are a ghost driving a meat coated skeleton made from stardust. What do you have to be scared of?"

OfflineConundrumFischer
Friend

Re: So its spring. What do you have planted? [Re: Patchouli_Savage]
    #25150905 - 04/19/18 02:54 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Patchouli_Savage said:
Nothing- there is a blizzard outside right now and I don't have a ton of room indoors to start seeds. I have a lot of herbs established from last year- lavender, parsley, comfrey, fennell, sage, thyme, rosemary, loveage (sp) catnip. All still dormant under the snow. I do have a gift card for a local greenhouse so I will get some starts  for veggies and additional herbs when the weather cooperates. I have a lot of other landscaping projects to accomplish in addition to gardening though. I have plum trees and rosebushes that came with the property that need to be pruned extensively or removed. A mostly dead lilac Bush that must be removed. A fire pit to dig. I'm waiting as patiently as I can for spring.

At least you have someone to do starts for you. Its just a shame because seeds are so inexpensive.

How you thought of pruning and moving your roses. They don't mind being dug up and moved around.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder