Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media
    #25101238 - 03/30/18 02:31 AM (6 years, 17 hours ago)

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-set-request-years-social-media-history-visa/story?id=54106598

So, now visa applicants need to turn over 5 years of social media history.

Now, I've had this thought before, but now it's a matter of policy:

What if you don't have social media?

I've thought about this in terms of job applications, and how not having a facebook is seen almost as a red flag in modern times, but what happens if someone doesn't have any social media? Personally, I don't have much in the way of social media. I haven;t updated my facebook in years, I don't have an Instagram, I don't have a myspace, I don't bother with any of that stuff.

What happens to people that apply for a visa, and for whatever reason don't have a social media history?
Is not having social media weird?
You may choose only one
Should lack of social media be reason for refusal of a visa?
You may choose only one
Is social media required to be a normal human being, on the level of wearing pants in public?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (03/30/18 12:31 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Edited by Kryptos (03/30/18 02:33 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: Kryptos]
    #25101242 - 03/30/18 02:35 AM (6 years, 17 hours ago)

Can't edit polls. Last question should be more along the lines of "Is social media a requirement for being a human being in society?"

Basically, with that last question, I'm trying to see if people think that having social media should be required of people. So, should Facebook be like a birth certificate?

InvisibleAsclepius
Human Being
 User Gallery

Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: Kryptos]
    #25101244 - 03/30/18 02:38 AM (6 years, 17 hours ago)

I voted no for all.  I think social media can be used for legitimate purposes, but from what I have seen it is most often used at the detriment to society: lack of genuine socialization, online bullying, people with 5,000+ friends, people doing things for likes, people taking selfies non-stop, posting pictures of Kraft dinners, etc. 

My humanity, my life, and my character are not defined by social media.

--------------------
A society governed in terms of double standards is self-destructive

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: Asclepius]
    #25101251 - 03/30/18 02:52 AM (6 years, 16 hours ago)

I mean, all of those things that you mentioned existed long before social media, social media just made them easier, and gave a platform to plumber's crack Joe, as opposed to only celebrities.

The shroomery is also a form of social media. Should membership here be a disqualifying factor for visa applications? Presence here does raise huge suspicion of drug (ab)use.

The fact that social media has permeated society to a scary degree isn't really up for debate, my questions are meant to really focus on whether social media is a basic requirement of human life, nowadays. Again, I mean like birth certificate, SSN/TIN, passport, that kind of thing.

I know for a fact that I have been disqualified from at least one job offer, and nearly a dozen tinder dates, because I don't have updated social media. I also intentionally misspell my name on facebook.

InvisibleAsclepius
Human Being
 User Gallery

#25101273 - 03/30/18 03:31 AM (6 years, 16 hours ago)

I don't think social media should be a requirement for citizenship, employment, or anything else that people depend upon for survival.

--------------------
A society governed in terms of double standards is self-destructive

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
    #25101342 - 03/30/18 04:42 AM (6 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-set-request-years-social-media-history-visa/story?id=54106598

So, now visa applicants need to turn over 5 years of social media history.

Now, I've had this thought before, but now it's a matter of policy:

What if you don't have social media?

I've thought about this in terms of job applications, and how not having a facebook is seen almost as a red flag in modern times, but what happens if someone doesn't have any social media? Personally, I don't have much in the way of social media. I haven;t updated my facebook in years, I don't have an Instagram, I don't have a myspace, I don't bother with any of that stuff.

What happens to people that apply for a visa, and for whatever reason don't have a social media history?

Visa Applicants have no 'rights' as American citzens.

--------------------

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: starfire_xes] * 1
    #25101347 - 03/30/18 04:45 AM (6 years, 14 hours ago)

When did I say anything about rights? You should stay on topic or start your own thread.

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
    #25101352 - 03/30/18 04:48 AM (6 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
When did I say anything about rights? You should stay on topic or start your own thread.

Bully for the government to make Visa Applicants to turn over media for applicants.

How is that for staying on topic? :smug:

--------------------

OfflineSkellies

Loc: The Dream
Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: starfire_xes]
    #25101538 - 03/30/18 07:13 AM (6 years, 12 hours ago)

From what I’ve read there’s no actuall requirement to have social media, it’s just that if you have it you have to report your aliases. Still, this would probably mean that having social media would increase your chances of being getting a visa over other people.

Either way, social media has been used for vetting people for a long time. Employers think it’s weird if you don’t have an online presence. I only keep mine up for appearances and to occasionally check out people.

InvisibleTantrika
Miss Ann Thrope
Female

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lashed to the pyre
    #25101926 - 03/30/18 10:43 AM (6 years, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
...and how not having a facebook is seen almost as a red flag in modern times, but what happens if someone doesn't have any social media? ...

Have seen it treated as a red flag in terms of dating
Quote:

Farhad: I think we've mentioned it before that if you are going out with someone and they don't have a Facebook profile, you should be suspicious.

Emily: Wait a minute. You may have mentioned that.

Farhad: I think I’ve recommended that. You know why, though? Imagine if this guy didn't have a Facebook profile. That’s why. You should be suspicious of someone who is not making your relationship known publicly on a site like Facebook. I’m going to go on record with that.

Emily: I'm fine with people not having a Facebook page if they don't want one. However, I think you’re right. If you’re of a certain age and you meet someone who you are about to go to bed with, and that person doesn't have a Facebook page, you may be getting a false name. It could be some kind of red flag.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/08/06/beware-tech-abandoners-people-without-facebook-accounts-are-suspicious/#93ba8128f95a

which is interesting to me,
given that someone who is likely to exploit you in a relationship
may be more inclined to have multiple Facebook accounts
Quote:

Whilst in the relationship with the sociopath, they will use social networking, to manipulate and control you, and to create a false image to others. Just as many sociopaths have more than one phone. They also can have more than one facebook account (my last ex had 12). Sociopaths are expert at understanding how facebook works, and using privacy controls, to create an image. They can block you from certain parts of their Facebook, so that you only see things that they want you to see. An example of this, is when the sociopath openly pours out declarations of love, both on your Facebook wall (ownership), and also on their own Facebook wall. As with most things with the sociopath there is always something a bit odd.

You might wonder, why is nobody on their friends list commenting, or liking, or the only ones who are, are random people? This is because they can set up blocks, so that other people although on their friends list, cannot see what they are posting on their status or are blocked from seeing photos. Likely you will be blocked from certain aspects of the sociopaths page too. This is the ultimate control.

https://datingasociopath.com/2013/07/18/sociopaths-and-the-use-of-social-networking/

Tho not in the "Western world" it is worthwhile to see this taken to more of an extreme
China is apparently implementing a program known as "Sesame Credit"
that gives people a social score and generation or loss of points relative to party loyalty
eventual mandatory participation, of course

the video talks about social pressures and association between people
and think that reflects in the Western world somewhat

have no real good insight into the issue tho
just some reflections your topic prompted

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

Loc: Chinada Flag
Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: Tantrika]
    #25102995 - 03/30/18 06:54 PM (6 years, 44 minutes ago)

I myself only have Snapchat and shroomery. Nothing else.
Im not sure how i feel about it. Im sure most poor immigrants probably wouldn't have one.
I guess it is in case the can find links to isis or other extreme groups and ideologies?
Wouldnt these guys just delete any red flags or posts that are perceived to be bad? Or delete their accounts all together?

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: MagicMush123]
    #25103086 - 03/30/18 07:40 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

All I see it doing is invading normal peoples lives and creating a market for false social media accounts.  They already pass around papers that are false, stolen or who knows all what.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: Morel Guy]
    #25104560 - 03/31/18 01:05 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

In reply to tantrika: I've read those articles too, and I've read a bunch of others, and for some reason it always seems like this "if they don't have a facebook they're NOT REAL PEOPLE!" content is oriented at girls. At least, the way I read it. It's always some chicks on a podcast, or that one spoof video someone made about a guy with no social media, but it really does seem (marketed) that lack of social media is really more a red flag to one gender.

Even though I'm sure there are just as many guys anxiously trying to find people on facebook to stalk them.

Quote:

Morel Guy said:
All I see it doing is invading normal peoples lives and creating a market for false social media accounts.  They already pass around papers that are false, stolen or who knows all what.

This is an interesting point. Can you really "fake" a social media account? you'd theoretically have to have pictures of a person going back years with timestamps. Unless you made it super generic pictures of food or whatever other bullshit people put on social media.

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

Loc: Chinada Flag
    #25104641 - 03/31/18 01:39 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineSkellies

#25104647 - 03/31/18 01:45 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
This is an interesting point. Can you really "fake" a social media account? you'd theoretically have to have pictures of a person going back years with timestamps. Unless you made it super generic pictures of food or whatever other bullshit people put on social media.

You don't actually need to have old photos for it to be believable. I messed around with making fake accounts and I just took screenshots from obscure movies. The hard part is getting enough friends added to look real.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: Skellies]
    #25104731 - 03/31/18 02:14 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Well, since somebody brought up the Chinese sesame points thing, and since everyone seems to think this is a little eerie, well...

Any of you guys see the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive"?

The premise of the episode is that everybody has an app that rates other people, up or down, based on your interactions. Everybody also has a social score, which basically replaces money. Get voted up by a five star hottie? Must be hot shit, yourself. Get voted down? Well, that's why you're not a five star hottie.

Perks are given based on your score. Want to skip the line, go VIP? Well, if you're a 4.5, boom, you're VIP. If you're a 3, well, you're not exactly....good enough. Sorry.

Would this be a good system? It mirror the current system of financial wealth pretty well, wealthy golf buddies will give you ins for good jobs, all that. But it's all based on social media interactions.

OfflineSkellies

#25105115 - 03/31/18 05:27 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
Would this be a good system? It mirror the current system of financial wealth pretty well, wealthy golf buddies will give you ins for good jobs, all that. But it's all based on social media interactions.

That would be awful imo. How it is now kind of sucks but it's a natural consequence of people being social creatures. Having an established official system of social ranking would only exacerbate it.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Social Media, Vetting, and what it means to not have social media [Re: Skellies]
    #25105286 - 03/31/18 06:58 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

austothehun said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:

That would be awful imo. How it is now kind of sucks but it's a natural consequence of people being social creatures. Having an established official system of social ranking would only exacerbate it.

Well, I think the black market analogy could be used here: bringing it into the open would allow it to be regulated and controlled for the benefit of all.

We'd have to scrap the idea of "all men are created equal", though. It's a very communist idea, that everyone is equal. Nobody is equal. Some people are better, some people are worse. Some people have more friends, some people ask the pizza place to arrange the pepperoni to spell "happy birthday".

OfflineSkellies

#25105337 - 03/31/18 07:19 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:

Well, I think the black market analogy could be used here: bringing it into the open would allow it to be regulated and controlled for the benefit of all.

I don't see how judging someone based on popularity could be used by the government to benefit people though. In both systems the naturally attractive, extroverted, and charismatic people have an advantage which undermines meritocracy.

Unless your goal is to promote certain behavioral traits in people because you believe some traits are better than others (not saying that's what you want, just thinking of ways it can be useful). China is currently trying to promote national loyalty and social cohesion. I think both of those traits are good to a degree but I wouldn't try to make other people conform if it's not how they want to act.

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25105456 - 03/31/18 08:28 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Both traits are highly dangerous and thusly Utilized.

I think the molestation of natural progression is usually doomed to drastic, unforseen disasters.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals