Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineItalian Pigeon
Stranger
Re-dunk non-fruiting cakes?
    #25092414 - 03/26/18 06:32 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I have 3 cakes. All were dunked and rolled and put in an SGFC.

On average my SGFC has been kept at 18°C and at 80% humidity. The temp is too low because I live in a cold house, and I’m currently watering my perlite from a water bottle in the morning and at night, with an occasional misting of the 4 walls + lid of my SGFC.

My home is getting warmer as we leave winter, and I’ll need to step up my humidity game.

I put them in the SGFC a month and a half ago and have had zero pins and just generally no sign of progress whatsoever

Here is a picture:

I have the following questions:

1. should I take my cakes out and dunk them to rehydrate them so I can try again with the improved temp?

2. If so, should I try to remove the current layer of vermiculite or just dunk it with the verm on?

3. I’ve tried to keep moisture away from the cakes since they’ve been in the SGFC, but I’ve read of people misting to keep the verm damp. I thought that would result in bacterial growth so I’ve always avoided it. Which is best?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMush Hunter
Imaginary friend
 User Gallery

Loc: The depths of your imagin...
Re: Re-dunk non-fruiting cakes? [Re: Italian Pigeon]
    #25092503 - 03/26/18 07:04 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

First off it is the cakes you should be misting and not the walls or perlite as you already rinsed and hydrated your perlite. Second patients is key. Third... If your cakes are dry and haven't shown any sign after that long it couldn't hurt to dunk them again to rehydrate them but it is FAE and evaporation that triggers pinning. Your cakes should be glistening.

OfflineItalian Pigeon
Stranger

Re: Re-dunk non-fruiting cakes? [Re: Mush Hunter]
    #25092527 - 03/26/18 07:12 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

To re-dunk, should I remove the verm outer layer or leave it?

OfflineMush Hunter
Imaginary friend
 User Gallery

#25092540 - 03/26/18 07:19 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I personally rinse my cakes being careful not to be rough but remove all the verm. Soak for 12-16hrs and then re-roll in fresh verm. (even though some say not to. Has never given me issues to date.) placing back in fruiting chamber. Wait an hour before misting cakes till they have a nice glistening and re mist as necessary to ensure they keep a nice glistening to them. Be careful not to over water which can water log your cakes.
You want them to look like this...

OfflineMush Hunter
Imaginary friend
 User Gallery

#25092561 - 03/26/18 07:25 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

By the way your pic isn't very clear but from what I can see you should trim down the foil or whatever it is you have your cakes on.
Here is a pic of my SGFC setup

And how I have my cakes on foil both before pinning and after as I bottom feed once pinning is established

The foil is that small that you can barely see it before pinning to maximize FAE around the cake to help evaporation and initiate pinning

OfflineItalian Pigeon
Stranger

#25092645 - 03/26/18 07:55 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you very much. A lot of great info here. Will take it all on board and hopefully have a bit more luck in round 2.

So to recap:

Use water to gently remove verm, then dunk them overnight.

Roll, then put in SGFC with significantly less foil and mist them directly.

Keep ‘em glistening until pins are spotted.

Question: when they start pinning, should I just feed a small amount of water into the bottom of the foil, avoiding misting, to keep them hydrated? Also should I keep watering the perlite to encourage FAE?

OfflineMush Hunter
Imaginary friend
 User Gallery

#25092697 - 03/26/18 08:16 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

If you hydrated your perlite properly before adding to your SGFC you should have no need to water your perlite as the water from misting the cakes should be more than sufficient. Once pinning starts you add water to bottom daily (empty water if there is any left the following day to keep the water fresh. I just lift my cake and empty tray into my perlite if there is any left so the water doesn't become stagnant.) Mist cakes as needed to keep glistening even once you start bottom feeding. Yes they will need less misting but it ensures the fruit are getting all th water they need as shroomies are 90% water. FAE is the air that passes through your FC which is why it should have holes on all 6 sides(4 sides, top and bottom).
Hope this helps and :goodluck:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation