Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Loc: USA
Bleach & Ammonia exposure
    #25088854 - 03/25/18 06:54 AM (6 years, 6 days ago)

So, while far from my first time breathing in a little too much bleach - I was on a budget and while I purchased bleach, was well aware of the dangers of mixing bleach and ammonia, the multi-purpose cleaner generic I mixed it with that I found under my sink just happened to contain ammonia in the fine print.

Exposure time was roughly 1.5 hours.  Immediately, I figured oh great, more chlorine poisoning.  An extended family member also has a head cold, so I contemplated the bad luck odds that maybe I obtained both in a short period of time, but given I only get sick every few years, I doubt this.

Anyway, I'd like to avoid going to the ER.  As far as I know the only thing they can do for me is dialysis to remove the acetone from my blood, and all hydration and such could be done from home.  Currently drinking high alkaline water with electrolytes, drank a shitload of organic coconut water, etc.

After the symptoms began to progress, I began to wonder - and I went and checked that fine print, and sure enough, there was ammonia in it.  My heart dropped.

Nose running, nose, throat, upper lungs all burn a bit.  Seems to have burned off some of my taste buds and all I could smell until this morning was bleach, this morning I saw an increase in runny nose/congestion - but like it's all trying to come out without medication, although I did swig a little organic apple cider vinegar, which helps neutralize hydrochloric acid burns, something I learned in my time as an alcoholic, and promotes alkalinity and detoxification.

So yea, I'd really not like that on my medical record - I'm on some very hard to get prescribed medications and I don't want that fucked with, and I feel the exposure time/amount was -nearly- moderate, but not serious or lethal so long as I keep an eye on my vitals and push fluids.  Needless to say, I won't be doing any sterile work for a couple days, I can't fuck with iso or bleach right now.

I can breath, don't think there is any fluid in my lungs (had pneumonia as a child multiple times, I know what it feels like), everything just burns like shit and my nose is running, occasionally I sneeze (I don't have allergies).

I aired my house out extremely well afterwards and don't really see what I can do beyond let this take its course.  The symptoms haven't worsened for a while now.

Any advice or input is appreciated... Looking into adding Peace Lily, spider plant, aloe vera, etc - to my plant collection for air detoxification, but have a HEPA filter & carbon scrubber running for now.  If I was truly paranoid, I have access to an oxygen mask.

If not, remember to check the fine print on *ALL* cleaners you guys, this is not a joke...

Piece of shit generic ass soap... As much as I feel I deserve the Darwin Award right now, the cleaner had no warning labels and the back was partially worn where it listed the ammonia in fine print.  Fuck.  I'm usually so careful, too.

In case you are a critic, the only reason I haven't already been to the ER is I have successfully treated worse chemical burns from home, and one of my parents worked as a janitor in his youth and basically promised me he'd had direct bleach/ammonia exposure several times, and it will just suck for 2-3 days.  But, I don't have any experience with mixing ammonia and bleach myself, that's always been a huge no no, and never will I fail to read the fine print again.

:suffermanly:

Edited by plurfekt (03/25/18 09:11 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bleach & Ammonia exposure [Re: plurfekt] * 1
    #25088987 - 03/25/18 09:04 AM (6 years, 5 days ago)

I think your ok, but it can cause some serious issues long term, never mix chemicals, even dawn dish soap and bleach can be deadly, it even says on the bottle not to mix with bleach. Pinesol and bleach produces chlorine gas, the same shit used in chemical warfare.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Re: Bleach & Ammonia exposure [Re: Doc9151]
    #25088996 - 03/25/18 09:09 AM (6 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
I think your ok, but it can cause some serious issues long term, never mix chemicals, even dawn dish soap and bleach can be deadly, it even says on the bottle not to mix with bleach. Pinesol and bleach produces chlorine gas, the same shit used in chemical warfare.

Thanks, yea I pretty much have the same line of thought right now.  Just feel like a dumbass atm.

Could easily see why they'd use this shit in chemical warfare, it's fucking torture / quickly debilitating.  Hopefully I won't see any long term damage.

Good info on the dawn dish soap, I need to read all my cleaning products closer, editing that out of the OP so no one else does it.  I imagine the only reason I'm alive after all this time is proper ventilation.  I just checked and my Dawn dish soap says nothing about not mixing with bleach on the bottle back or front, may just be this type though (green antibacterial version).

Ugh.  I need to be more careful.

Edited by plurfekt (03/25/18 09:28 AM)

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25089572 - 03/25/18 01:11 PM (6 years, 5 days ago)

Chlorine kills the ability to smell it in seconds, that's why ventilation is very important,  lots of folks have been seriously injured by it.

I was trained in chemical warfare and combat medicine, I have seen some training films from the 1st world war where chlorine gas was deployed, treated chemical burns, and found out swimming pool pump houses are dangerous for the same reason. Chlorine gas is bad ass stuff.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Edited by Doc9151 (03/25/18 01:19 PM)

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

#25089622 - 03/25/18 01:31 PM (6 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:

Chlorine kills the ability to smell it in seconds, that's why ventilation is very important,  lots of folks have been seriously injured by it.

I was trained in chemical warfare and combat medicine, I have seen some training films from the 1st world war where chlorine gas was deployed, treated chemical burns, and found out swimming pool pump houses are dangerous for the same reason. Chlorine gas is bad ass stuff.

Indeed it is.  My buddy worked in maintenance for a long time and basically reassured me it'll be better within a few days/got lucky it wasn't worse.

Pain in throat is going away but my nose has been running a lot, been seeing dots/spots, etc.  Gradually getting better.

Pushing alkaline water & Chaga tea at the moment, figured the Chaga's tonic properties couldn't hurt in getting this stuff out of my body.

Definitely nothing to joke around about, I plan on color coding my cleaning products after this happened.

Edited by plurfekt (03/25/18 01:32 PM)

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25089643 - 03/25/18 01:39 PM (6 years, 5 days ago)

Your friend is right and proper labels make all the difference, color coding doesnt work for anyone not familiar with it and can be worse.

--------------------

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

#25089678 - 03/25/18 01:57 PM (6 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
Your friend is right and proper labels make all the difference, color coding doesnt work for anyone not familiar with it and can be worse.

They'd still be labeled properly, color is there so I don't accidentally spray iso on a tub or something, given alcohol and water would look the same.

If there is a better method, I'm all ears, anything to do with proper labeling, improper mixing, shit - someone should write a TEK on it.

I like, hate myself right now.  The only positive to this is I'm pretty damn sure my SAB work area is clean now... :facepalm3:

I imagine the fact I'm starting to be able to smell and taste things again is a good sign... it literally burned my tastebuds off and likely scent cells in the nose as well, not sure how it works exactly but yea, all I could smell for like 18 hours was this bleachy ass smell, long after I aired it out and moved to another room WITH air filters in it.

Nose was dry when I started typing this reply, and now I'm working on a pair of shoelaces.

The worst part for me personally is that I am 14 days off the booz today.  So the moment I got done sweating shit out, I poisoned myself with gas.

:rolleyes:

Edited by plurfekt (03/25/18 02:10 PM)

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25090361 - 03/25/18 07:23 PM (6 years, 5 days ago)

Always put the chemical name on the bottle  that way everyone knows what is, thats most important. Then you can put " don't use with bleach" or whatever.

Edit: Don't assume everyone knows what not to do, so any information to make sure it's handled safely is always better.

--------------------

Edited by Doc9151 (03/25/18 07:26 PM)

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

#25091190 - 03/26/18 05:59 AM (6 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
Always put the chemical name on the bottle  that way everyone knows what is, thats most important. Then you can put " don't use with bleach" or whatever.

Edit: Don't assume everyone knows what not to do, so any information to make sure it's handled safely is always better.

Agreed.

I'm actually thinking after this experience of doing my research and putting a TEK together myself; as we all tend to use the same cleaning products -for the most part-

Particularly Isopropyl Alcohol, Bleach, Peroxide, in conjunction with other household cleaners.

Color coding seems logical for clear liquids, keep the only thing clear as H2O.

So check this out.

I detox from alcohol, successfully, first try - from a LOT of bourbon and IPA, etc.  13 days into that I poison myself with gas.  2 days later as the chlorine & etc damage is healing up, I caught the fucking flu.

It's funny how I got sober to improve my quality of life, it's been truly down hill LOL.

When I say I almost never get sick, I wasn't lying.  Due to the medicinals I USUALLY take routinely (I need ethanol to make tinctures... which I've been avoiding since I quit drinking/ran out of tinctures from 2-3 years ago), then the poison likely made me immuno-compromised, thus allowing a rhinovirus or H1N1/H1N2 to take hold.

I have sterile work that needs to be done, burned lips/lungs and a clogged nose.  Man...

:chemicalsfuckup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom