Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineElectricUniverse
Stranger

Progress on Tub, is this the time to apply a casing layer?
    #25084530 - 03/23/18 09:49 AM (6 years, 26 days ago)

Below I included a few pictures on a couple small tubs I'm growing. I was wondering would this be considered full colonization at this time? It's been 7 days since I mixed the substrate (100% COCO COIR) and the grains (oats). What percentage of colonization would this be considered? I'm thinking around 80%, maybe a little less on the others. I've never had a tub be completely white or dominated by mycelium.

I have some questions...

1. Would this be a good time to apply a thin casing layer, 1/2 inch or so?

2. If I do apply a casing layer would I then leave my tubs uncovered to promote fruiting conditions?

3. From what I've read I would want to use a 50/50 coco coir/verm layer with a dash of gypsum.

4. I'm thinking about putting my boxes outside in the 50-60's for the day to get them to go in to a fruiting stage after I put a casing layer on, or if I don't apply a casing layer I would do it within a day or so.

Edited by ElectricUniverse (03/23/18 09:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineExplicitdetail
Rickshaw Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: North of the Equator
Re: Progress on Tub, is this the time to apply a casing layer? [Re: ElectricUniverse]
    #25084555 - 03/23/18 09:59 AM (6 years, 26 days ago)

1. Applying a casing layer can do done at spawning up to when the sub is 100% colonized

2. You still want to keep it covered for most of the grow and increase FAE as the fruits begin to mature. Or you risk drying out your sub

3.A traditional casing is 50/50+ (Pete/verm+lime)

4. Moving them outside will not fruit them any quicker, they will fruit when they’re ready and when certain triggers are met. Such as full colonization and evaporation on the surface

--------------------
"Problems that remain persistently insoluble should always be suspected as questions asked in the wrong way."

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Progress on Tub, is this the time to apply a casing layer? [Re: Explicitdetail]
    #25084998 - 03/23/18 12:57 PM (6 years, 26 days ago)

I like to get most of the substrate colonized before I apply the casing . Once the casing layer is applied I just keep everything covered and fan once a day until the pins start. If the casing dries out a little I just spray some water as needed and cover back up to keep the humidity high and give fresh air.
All in one tub is to me the best way to grow stuff.

InvisibleMrRabbit-HMR
Professional Duck Washer

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Progress on Tub, is this the time to apply a casing layer? [Re: kingkc]
    #25086464 - 03/24/18 02:57 AM (6 years, 25 days ago)

I always apply a faux casing when spawing to bulk [about a quarter inch, just enough to cover surface], then wait for a patchy top to appear, by which time the sub is fully colonised and the top casing is perfect for fruiting.

By doing this, it also allows the lid to remain on at all times, increasing CO2 buildup and colonisation times. It also means that you can leave it to do its thing and you don't have to schedule in a time to add a casing, neither do you have to separately prepare a casing.

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Progress on Tub, is this the time to apply a casing layer? [Re: MrRabbit-HMR]
    #25086508 - 03/24/18 04:02 AM (6 years, 25 days ago)

That is not quite 100% but you're perfectly fine to case any time from spawn to pinning (late casing)

Just so you know, you are on track for regular timing, looks just about right for 7 days.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

OfflineAjwuzhere0914
Strange

Re: Progress on Tub, is this the time to apply a casing layer? [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25086663 - 03/24/18 07:16 AM (6 years, 25 days ago)

I did this last night with my second shoebox, hoping for a more even pinset since my first tray has exposed grains on top, and is coming in patchy. Applied CV mix right on top, about 1/4 inch thick. I waited until the sub was fully colonized (sides solid white with rhizos, top solid white and fluffy) before doing so. I heard somewhere that pins dont like forming on exposed grains.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck