Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineElectricUniverse
Stranger

What are the key's to making a good bulk substrate? And what are the benefits?
    #25081302 - 03/22/18 12:25 AM (6 years, 9 days ago)

Hello all,

Still learning about the mushroom world and one thing that I'm trying to wrap my head around is the substrate mix. A couple batches ago I haphazardly mixed a large batch of substrate that did not grow any mushrooms. I'm currently just using straight coco coir, because I'm confused as to what the improvements are to some of the more advance substrate mixes.

I want to enhance the growth of my shrooms speed and quantity wise. Currently I'm using cubensis and in the next week or so I'll have to prepare so more substrate.

my questions are now how much more effective will my growth be if I use a more advance substrate compared to only coco coir?

If I can improve my growth over coco coir what are the key ingredients I need to use? In what amount and combination do I need to use them?

I was looking at this guys recipe right here.

2 quarts cow poop
1 quart verm
1 quart coir
1/2 cup coffee
1/2 cup oyster shell flour
1/2 cup gypsum

It looked very interesting. Will this improve my growth? I have some hydrated lime to use instead of oyster shell if that works. If there are better recipes for cubensis substrate fire away. Thanks for any help on this topic.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the key's to making a good bulk substrate? And what are the benefits? [Re: ElectricUniverse]
    #25081313 - 03/22/18 12:34 AM (6 years, 9 days ago)

Stay away from coffee in bulk subs. Invitro it is ok but it grows mold like crazy in open air.

Key to a bulk sub is proper hydration.

TheI purpose of the bulk sub is to give the mushrooms a large amount of water to grow.  You're never going to be able to deliver more nutrients than grains.

Ideally if you're going to try a more nutrient rich bulk sub you need to compost with dung. But as I've said before. Grains are delivering all the nutrients and they are fucking packed with em.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Edited by elasticaltiger (03/22/18 12:35 AM)

Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: What are the key's to making a good bulk substrate? And what are the benefits? [Re: ElectricUniverse]
    #25081341 - 03/22/18 01:08 AM (6 years, 9 days ago)

:whathesaid:

As soon as I stopped using coffee grinds in my bulk sub my yields actually went up significantly.    To much risk to reward.

I like to hydrate slightly under Field capacity because this will make your substrate colonize faster.

Coir is my favorite substrate by far

Cut out the lime and oyster shell and coffee, and even the poop.

You need to properly pasteurize if you're going to use poop or coffee grounds.

Coir verm gypsum is king IMO.

If you use just coir there would be almost no difference then with all the other stuff included.  In fact with the Simplicity of coir you might get a better yield without all the other stuff.

I've seen grows that are only coir and grain spawn and they were fantastic.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: What are the key's to making a good bulk substrate? And what are the benefits? [Re: impatientguy]
    #25081343 - 03/22/18 01:11 AM (6 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

cronicr said:
Just dump boiling water on it

That's what i do and coir is all i use

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

OfflineElectricUniverse
Stranger

Re: What are the key's to making a good bulk substrate? And what are the benefits? [Re: impatientguy]
    #25081731 - 03/22/18 07:20 AM (6 years, 9 days ago)

I should have mention currently I'm using oat and BRF cakes as my nutrition source. Also, I've bought a bag of sorghum on the advice of my friend that it it works really well It's good to know keep the bulk substrate minimally complicated is the best way to go.

ImpatientGuy on the coir, vermiculite, gypsum combo is it the best at holding the max amount of water? Anyways, thanks for the good pointers on the topic. I think I definitely like this direction better than dealing with all those extra ingredients.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
    #25081766 - 03/22/18 07:42 AM (6 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

ElectricUniverse said:
my questions are now how much more effective will my growth be if I use a more advance substrate compared to only coco coir?

They will be less efficient because you'll have to prep extra stuff.

Quote:

If I can improve my growth over coco coir what are the key ingredients I need to use? In what amount and combination do I need to use them?

You don't need to use anything in particular. If you can get free hpoo then use that. Otherwise use coir. But people have grown on straw, coir, hpoo, verm, etc, all on their own and combined. There's not a huge difference in the yield.

Quote:

I was looking at this guys recipe right here.

2 quarts cow poop
1 quart verm
1 quart coir
1/2 cup coffee
1/2 cup oyster shell flour
1/2 cup gypsum

It looked very interesting. Will this improve my growth? I have some hydrated lime to use instead of oyster shell if that works. If there are better recipes for cubensis substrate fire away. Thanks for any help on this topic.

It won't improve anything and will probably make mud. Cow poo isn't great.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate