Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Loc: USA
Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: Josex]
    #25075300 - 03/19/18 11:06 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
Quote:

Josex said:
I've tried the most common agar recipes for making LC broth, just for shit, giggles and some science. If it works for agar it works for LC.

In my opinion, out of all the recipes I tried the two that really kick ass are grain water (GW) LC and light malt extract (LME) LC. Nothing new here. :shrug:

That's in the OP, feel free to experiment but tbh I don't see the point to go out of your way trying to find a more complex recipe than those two. You just need a simple recipe that will get you healthy growth. LC is just an inoculant, no need to get fancy, there's plenty of nutrition in grains when you pour the LC into jars.
BRF gets you some strong growth but is milky so I dont like it. Potato broth LC is very cloudy to my liking. Grain water LC is just awesome and everybody has access to grains and LME is very easy to get too. Simplicity is a good thing in myco.

I appreciate the response/explanation.  I've read maybe 30 teks in the last week, some several times, so I apologize for missing that bit.

It's just very different from what I am used too, and you can bet your ass I will experiment! :cool:

The point being, which LC works the best.  That is why I found myself in this thread, trying to find the best LC.  Sounds like you are convinced it is grains, and I have no room to doubt you, I just know turbinado works great without the fuss of blending up grains and measuring it out, until now it hadn't been broken so I had no reason to fix it, until I hit a point where I was looking at premium LC mixes made professionally and wondering "how'd they make it, what's in it?"

I'll read through the thread when I get some time, and post my results.

Interesting stuff...

:awetongue:

Edited by plurfekt (03/20/18 06:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepacmanbreed
 User Gallery

Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: plurfekt]
    #25075306 - 03/19/18 11:12 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Good to hear your having success with Simpe sugar lc.
But I bet my jars will go south if i used simple sugars.
Since im living in a 93f+ place now where temp controls cause a fortune. Using a crappy 6qrt pc.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #25075307 - 03/19/18 11:12 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

If there had been a grain recipe in the OP I would have had maybe half as many questions or less.

Actually there's one. The OP was not meant to be a LC recipe book anyway and it gives it the importance that it deserves in my opinion. The end goal is not making myc extremely happy in the liquid (although a simple grain water broth will do that) but to get you an inoculant.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: pacmanbreed]
    #25075312 - 03/19/18 11:14 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

i just poured some aa+ into some wbs. i miss that smell of birdseed. havent poured into wbs in a long, long time.

and those grains were months old when i did.
old pic

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: pacmanbreed]
    #25075315 - 03/19/18 11:16 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

I'm going to do some side by side LC's to compare them, I've decided.

I won't clutter the thread up anymore with sugar, but yes I've had almost nothing but success with sugar for LC media, and never lost a tub due to bacterial contamination - my plants happen to LOVE the metabolic antibiotic run off, which was originally input I got from RR.

6 Quart?  Damn man.  I've got two 23 quarts and I thought I had it bad.  They are not that expensive and spawn bags man, spawn bags...

Quote:

Josex said:
Quote:

If there had been a grain recipe in the OP I would have had maybe half as many questions or less.

Actually there's one. The OP was not meant to be a LC recipe book anyway and it gives it the importance that it deserves in my opinion. The end goal is not making myc extremely happy in the liquid (although a simple grain water broth will do that) but to get you an inoculant.

Holy shit, you're right.  I quit drinking 8 days ago, so my attention span is not what it normally is, I'm sorry man! :facepalm3:

It's been very informative though, as my interest was in substitutions (recipes).  The reason for this is I came back to the Shroomery and discovered many things had become debunked and labeled "old tek" and have recently been scouring through teks, old and current and everywhere in between trying to find the best methods for everything I am doing, completely revamping my techniques and trying totally new ones.

This led me to you, because this is a solid alternative to liquid inoculant which people claim made LC old tek, which I think is not entirely true.  This is somewhere between the two in my eyes, if I had made this tek I would have called it "Grit Inoculant" or GI.

Sorry for any clutter, hopefully that explains my curiosities!

Edited by plurfekt (03/19/18 11:31 AM)

Invisiblepacmanbreed
 User Gallery

Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: mushboy]
    #25075321 - 03/19/18 11:20 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Im currently working on wbs aswell i really love the smell. I hate oat smell :bow2:

Agreed the more kiss to lc = better. I just expereminted on my own malted grains to measure nute speciall for agar since ME Cost some $$$ @ our place.

@brother josex. Do you dillute your GW further eg.1:4 when it comes to lc? I have a gallon of leftover in the fridge.

Edited by pacmanbreed (03/19/18 11:23 AM)

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: pacmanbreed] * 1
    #25075326 - 03/19/18 11:22 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

this one was just an ice cubes worth per 500ml

food for thought
:cookiemonster:

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25075328 - 03/19/18 11:23 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

No pacman, I never use real grain water for LC's, I just do what it says in the OP cos I like the sediment and being able to measure exactly the amount of flour used.

Invisiblepacmanbreed
 User Gallery

#25075349 - 03/19/18 11:33 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Interesting josex i also love to measure nute% to save on malted grains.

brother mush.
Looks kinda dark. Each cube is aprrox 30ml.
Is that one whole icecube tray in 500ml?

Edited by pacmanbreed (03/19/18 11:34 AM)

Invisiblevan hattonFacebookDiscord
Still a noob
 User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Trusted Cultivator
    #25075352 - 03/19/18 11:33 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

:bongload:

Took me more than a minute to type this.

--------------------
If I ever give out misinformation please inform me so I can have the correct information. :cheers:

Tmethyl said:
Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked a monotub that wasn't pinning fast enough. The force of the kick rearranged the genetics of the mushrooms, we now call them Penis Envy.

Caps McGee said:
:thumbsup:
Fun part is figuring out what works best for you

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: van hatton] * 1
    #25075373 - 03/19/18 11:44 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

:whathesaid:

1 ice cube. as in 1 singular cube per 500ml of water. so 2cubes per litter ect..

i prefer 1gram dry malt per liter of water. i shake it up good in a jug, pour into lc bottles:thumbup:
but i learned with the exact method outlined in the tek and it was fucking awesome for me. like mindblowing in its simplicity:awesomenod:

Invisiblevan hattonFacebookDiscord
Still a noob
 User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: mushboy] * 1
    #25075411 - 03/19/18 12:04 PM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Why did you pay 20 for a lb of malt..

Go to your local brew store like an American :lol:

I pay like 4 bucks for a lb of that.

--------------------
If I ever give out misinformation please inform me so I can have the correct information. :cheers:

Tmethyl said:
Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked a monotub that wasn't pinning fast enough. The force of the kick rearranged the genetics of the mushrooms, we now call them Penis Envy.

Caps McGee said:
:thumbsup:
Fun part is figuring out what works best for you

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: van hatton]
    #25075485 - 03/19/18 12:49 PM (6 years, 11 days ago)

i guessed. it might have been cheaper. but my local 'brew' stores dont carry malt.:shrug:

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: van hatton]
    #25075508 - 03/19/18 01:07 PM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

van hatton said:
Why did you pay 20 for a lb of malt..

Go to your local brew store like an American :lol:

I pay like 4 bucks for a lb of that.

This is the type of advice I like to see.

I was gonna pay 16$ for a 1/4lb w/ shipping.

There is a brew store nearby me and is on my way to other stores I need supplies from.  Thank you. :hug:

Invisibleforagedfungus
 User Gallery

Loc: out there
    #25075650 - 03/19/18 02:18 PM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
i guessed. it might have been cheaper. but my local 'brew' stores dont carry malt.:shrug:

Sure they do. Philly homebrew outlet. They've got 2 locations.
It's been over a year since I needed to buy more. But, If I remember correctly, I payed $12 for 2lbs.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: foragedfungus]
    #25076049 - 03/19/18 05:47 PM (6 years, 11 days ago)

i cant walk to those:shrug:

wife has the car most of the day. im never in univ city or fishtown either. i found my amazon order. i paid 8.99 for a pound.

edit: i just looked at the web page and im a fuckin noob. even though i still have a bunch of dry malt, ill be going soon.:facepalm::takingnotes:

Edited by mushboy (03/19/18 05:51 PM)

OfflineDeadManTrips
-

Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: Josex]
    #25076392 - 03/19/18 08:20 PM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
I mean LC's made exclusively with sugar as the only ingredient, myc just doesn't grow right. Make agar with only sugar and compare the growth you get with any other recipe like grain water agar for instance. Sugar is just an additive and as such is not really needed, PDA is made with a bit of sugar to encourage faster leap off or so they say but it isn't really needed either.

LME, GW or flour based LC don't need sugar. Sugar is also a good way to make bacteria very happy (if it there's any) in grains. You just don't need sugar.

Are you referring to simple sugars (ie sucrose) not working well with LC?

--------------------
An adventurer, in search of his treasure...

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: DeadManTrips]
    #25077049 - 03/20/18 06:46 AM (6 years, 10 days ago)

I believe he's just saying it isn't needed, not that it doesn't work.

I know simple sugar works - but which works better is the question.  So far I am only seeing opinions from people using one method or the other.

I'm going to do three sets or more at the same time and monitor their growth.  One with LME, one with plain turbinado, and one with LME with a tiny bit of turbinado when I can figure out a proper ratio.  I'll let you know how it goes.  If anyone has already done this, feel free to share your results.  If anything works better than turbinado, I'll be happily surprised.

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

#25077090 - 03/20/18 07:11 AM (6 years, 10 days ago)

Mateah has an LC experiment on colonization times you can check out.

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Invisibleplurfekt
Finally Grateful

Re: The Biopsy Method: A different way of doing LC [Re: JHOVA]
    #25077095 - 03/20/18 07:13 AM (6 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:
Mateah has an LC experiment on colonization times you can check out.

Thank you, will do :thumbup:

Mateah's LC -Nutrition Levels And Rate Of Colonization -[EXPERIMEN]-  (Mateah used the OP's tek on all the LC's)

Link included so no one else had to dig :wink:

0.15-0.2% appears to be the sweet spot, be interesting to see how they perform mixed with sugar, though.  Now I'm starting to want that premium LC mix, just to know WTF they put in it.  Says "consists of the perfect ratio of light malt extract to dextrose"  Also, in the reviews (which there are a lot of 5/5's for) people run into the same problem I do with turbinado; break it up consistently or it will become so thick you cannot suck it through a decent sized needle.  So my results must be comparative in both speed and success.

One little trick I'd like to mention for explosive growth is I start my LC's in small containers (125ml volume) with less sugar content.  The master jars have more sugar content, once the colony is established in the first week I suck that up and inject it into a master jar with a higher nutritional concentration, and they EXPLODE.  A small vector for explosive growth in my opinionMine have gotten so thick once finished colonizing I've considered making slurry out of them, because marbles won't make a damn dent - I've heard of people using bits of broken up glass instead, though.

One thing I can say IMMEDIATELY about the ELME Experimen though, is those are some SLOW ASS LC's (Not what I'm lookin' for - I want an alternative to LI that is fast) and in no way impress me via the images, at all.  Still a great experiment though, and saved me a lot of time and guess work.

I just may jump on that LC mix, LME, and do all three side by side.  It's a curiousity thing... I just need to know what works the best, lol.

I'm watching RR's "Let's Learn Agar" for kicks, and he said after years of making up his own mixes with malt extract, yeast, agar-agar, doing all the grocery shopping, time put into making the mixes, his costs were not worth the gap to just order pre-mixed premium agar mixes, and it's so much easier to do.  Also have a use for all my empty bourbon bottles, as an alternative for a media container for pouring.  RR has spoken, literally, I love that man.

I'd be using the TEK in the OP just as Mateah did.  Then maybe we can all put sugar behind us...or not, lmao.  I have my doubts at this point.  Either way, I don't seek to clutter the thread with sugar any more than has been done - it's taking away from the principles of the TEK in the OP, which is to make inoculant.  I'll post a link to my experiment when I start.

:trustme:

Edited by plurfekt (03/20/18 08:32 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder