Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Grand Larceny of Intellectual Property
    #25071826 - 03/17/18 07:50 PM (6 years, 12 days ago)

OK, so I'm sure any halfway decent artist, writer, or musician who has been around long enough has had to deal with plagiarists, hackers, and foreign moguls ripping off our designs and re-branding them in foreign markets and legal systems. I'm dealing with something even worse than that now, and it involves a form of hypnosis, and making people forget things they did, so that credit can be awarded to others. But it's still just another variant on the 'rob and bury the original' strategy.

The mob used to put bugs in peoples' walls to steal their rehearsals and jam sessions. Now all they have to do is bug your cellphone through a trojan. Or access your windows box through a backdoor, to steal your patterns and custom VSTs. Then there's identity theft: stealing credentials like your IDs, fingerprints, or even DNA, in order to access any foreign bank accounts you may have, or accounts others have created on your behalf, or even to put toxic assets in your name.

My question is: if anyone has dealt with this, what was your best resource for handling it? Obviously low-level LEO isn't going to believe you about stuff like this, and you can't always trust lawyers in the IP business.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Grand Larceny of Intellectual Property [Re: DoctorJ]
    #25071834 - 03/17/18 07:54 PM (6 years, 12 days ago)

:popcorn: just hear to read, sorry to get your hopes up

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Grand Larceny of Intellectual Property [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #25071847 - 03/17/18 07:58 PM (6 years, 12 days ago)

It's cool. Anyone who regularly creates original content needs to be aware that they are beset on all sides by people who are going to sell them short and steal their ideas, and it often gets to a point where some really fucked up means are used to keep a person broke, anonymous, and working for free, in other words, a slave. It's a fucked up scam pulled by soulless people, who are intrinsically empty and worthless as human beings, but there are plenty of those. It's like stealing all of a poor town's water for your swimming pool. Shitty, but common.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Re: Grand Larceny of Intellectual Property [Re: DoctorJ] * 1
    #25074901 - 03/19/18 07:30 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

WTF are you even talking about? Nobody's out there trying to steal your music. If you can't get ahead with it, that means you're not that great of a showman. I know several bands who went from garages to headlining every show.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Grand Larceny of Intellectual Property [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #25086572 - 03/24/18 05:28 AM (6 years, 6 days ago)

You are mistaken, music, film scripts, stand up comedy, all arts are constantly getting ripped off.  There was a recent story about writers watching sets at the Comedy Store and using it in mainstream tv shows.  It’s an everyday thing.  Right now a friend of mine is kicking off a battle over a mask design he created that they ripped off and were selling mass produced reproductions in multiple different stores across the US (and most likely elsewhere).

I’ve always had a sneaking suspicion about that commercial that used to come on offering “inventors” help with getting their ideas to fruition and sold, you just have to send them the designs etc.  You KNOW people got their designs stolen on a massive scale using that place.

Best bet is keeping all your projects secret (just like all major companies do, because theft is a real thing) and trademark/copyright etc asap and keep up to date on it.  That way if someone ganks your shit you have a dated legal form of evidence with your name on it.  There are no rules when it comes to ways you can steal others shit, by any means possible..

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
Re: Grand Larceny of Intellectual Property [Re: DoctorJ]
    #25128411 - 04/10/18 12:56 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
I'm dealing with something even worse than that now, and it involves a form of hypnosis, and making people forget things they did, so that credit can be awarded to others.

Is that even possible?

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

Anonymous #1

Re: Grand Larceny of Intellectual Property [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #25130218 - 04/11/18 05:51 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I prefer to hold a full-time job and give away art for free.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom