Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Grains stuck to lid, and do these look overly wet?
    #25069861 - 03/16/18 10:37 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

EDIT: I was able to get the grains knocked off the lid by tapping the jars with my hand.
However now im worried that my grains might be too wet.
Do these grains look too wet to you guys? Once out of the pressure cooker it only took a couple gentle turns to break them all loose, and in the past when my grains have been overly wet they've been clumpy, but im still not sure.

Also, When I was doing the agar to grain transfers I didn't realize there was grains stuck to the bottom of the jar lids. I'm hoping no mold or anything flew onto these grains when I took the lid off for the tiger drop. Do you think it'll be alright?

Thanks

Edited by flyhighfunguy (03/17/18 07:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Grains stuck to lid, just did A2G transfer [Re: flyhighfunguy]
    #25069871 - 03/16/18 10:42 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

If anything is going to be a problem it's how wet your rye berries are.

You need to let them sit for a day or two, shaking quite well a few times per day.

This will distribute the moisture after the pressure cooking.  Wet soppy grain can sometimes end up looking perfect after the moisture has been distributed.

If you still have excess water like you do now after letting them sit you need to boil for a shorter time.

This is if you have synthetic filter discs.

If you do, you can literally shake those grains down into the main pile.  Tap the jar, onto your hand, somewhat hard in a downward motion.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

Edited by impatientguy (03/16/18 10:47 PM)

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Grains stuck to lid, just did A2G transfer [Re: impatientguy]
    #25069877 - 03/16/18 10:45 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Damn yea i have never used these wheat berries before so i tried out a new tek. I gave them a nice shake when removing from the pressure cooker but i had never heard about waiting two days before.
Do you think they look way too wet or is there still a chance their alright you think?

Edited by flyhighfunguy (03/16/18 10:46 PM)

Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom's vag
    #25069879 - 03/16/18 10:46 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Yep, just slam em down on the carpet lol

--------------------
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.....                     

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

:havesomescience:

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Grains stuck to lid, just did A2G transfer [Re: maddchef]
    #25069882 - 03/16/18 10:48 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Yea I was actually just about to ask if I should try to knock them down. Maybe I’ll grab a knife and gently tap the top

Invisibleimpatientguy
Male User Gallery

#25069883 - 03/16/18 10:49 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

flyhighfunguy said:
Damn yea i have never used these wheat berries before so i tried out a new tek. I gave them a nice shake when removing from the pressure cooker but i had never heard about waiting two days before.
Do you think they look way too wet or is there still a chance their alright you think?

They look pretty wet, but since you're using agar you can shake it up right now to try to distribute some moisture around.:thumbup:

Letting them sit for a day or two really helps. You want to inoculate asap but sitting water as a big issue for grains, so it's worth it to me to wait the day or two to distribute the moisture.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

Edited by impatientguy (03/16/18 10:51 PM)

Invisibleimpatientguy
Male User Gallery

#25069886 - 03/16/18 10:50 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

impatientguy said:
If you do, you can literally shake those grains down into the main pile.  Tap the jar, onto your hand, somewhat hard in a downward motion.

Quote:

maddchef said:
Yep, just slam em down on the carpet lol

Ether way, but I'd skip the knife lol

You might damage the lids or even worse break the jar.

--------------------

Edited by impatientguy (03/16/18 10:52 PM)

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25069891 - 03/16/18 10:52 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

I don’t have sfds, I used 4 alternating layers of tyvek and micro pore. Could I still tap them down you think? And yea if they really seem that wet I’ll give them a shake right now for sure.

Edited by flyhighfunguy (03/16/18 10:53 PM)

Invisibleimpatientguy
Male User Gallery

#25069894 - 03/16/18 10:53 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Is it siliconed down?

If so then yes.

They do seem quite wet.

You don't want to see any water pressed up against the glass just nice hydrated but dry on the outside grains.

Sitting water on grains for an extended time =:lookatit::elderno:

Edited by impatientguy (03/16/18 10:57 PM)

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25069897 - 03/16/18 10:55 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

No it’s a layer of tyvek, then micropore taped over that, then another tyvek, then another layer of tape over that. Is that fine to shake you think?

Invisibleimpatientguy
Male User Gallery

#25069904 - 03/16/18 10:58 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

As long as it won't Shake loose.  If it gets wet, wick the water away with a paper towel and just let it dry.

Synthetic filter discs work great, you should look into them:thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25069907 - 03/16/18 11:01 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

alright I’ll try to shake some up then. I’m definitely gonna look into sfd’s in the future.

I’m surprised that you say these look so wet because after pressure cooking all it took was a couple light turns of the jars and the grains were completely loose. Whenever I’ve done wet grain in the past it’s been super clumpy after pressure cooking. Do you think this means their fine or are they 100% too wet in ur opinion?

And also, if I’m not able to knock/Shake all of the grains off the lid do you think it’s anything to worry about?

Edited by flyhighfunguy (03/16/18 11:03 PM)

Invisibleimpatientguy
Male User Gallery

#25070131 - 03/17/18 02:17 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

I'm not certain if they're too wet or if the moisture just hasn't been distributed yet.

Either way they aren't way too wet just a bit.

If the grains don't come off the lid the next time you shake the jar at 30% or so the grains that were stuck will become loose.

--------------------

InvisibleLemurLemur
Pray for Boog
 User Gallery

Loc: Drinking on the roof Flag
Re: Grains stuck to lid, and do these look overly wet? [Re: flyhighfunguy]
    #25070149 - 03/17/18 03:09 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Put your plates in myc side down, it'll cut daays off colonization.

--------------------
(when my data is fast play Lemur in chess at chess.com)[ [gradient:#D40B29,#18C418]Any1 expecting a trade from me i havent forgot about you pinky promise, i fr promise shits just shit rt now[/gradient]

OfflineThedillestpickle
cultured
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #25070241 - 03/17/18 06:31 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

flyhighfunguy said:
alright I’ll try to shake some up then. I’m definitely gonna look into sfd’s in the future.

I’m surprised that you say these look so wet because after pressure cooking all it took was a couple light turns of the jars and the grains were completely loose. Whenever I’ve done wet grain in the past it’s been super clumpy after pressure cooking. Do you think this means their fine or are they 100% too wet in ur opinion?

And also, if I’m not able to knock/Shake all of the grains off the lid do you think it’s anything to worry about?

The grain prep looks spot on.

What we are getting at is that regardless of the fact that you prepped the grains right... you still need to make sure that as the jar cools you redistribute the condensing water that forms on the glass.  There will always be water condensation forming as it cools, that's not avoidable, but you just shake it around to evenly soak into all the other grains. 

moisture sitting on grains is absolutely no good.  It's the reasons I've struggled with spawn bags so much because bags tend to make moisture condense on the grains a lot worse than jars.

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Interdimensional Bootcamp
Trusted Cultivator
    #25070247 - 03/17/18 06:43 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

TBH, they Look a tad wet but not terribly so.  Make sure the grain is DRY on the outside before loading in jars and they’ll be good.  I run a fan on my grain after the boil.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Grains stuck to lid, just did A2G transfer [Re: Mycolorado]
    #25070293 - 03/17/18 07:23 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Mycolorado said:
TBH, they Look a tad wet but not terribly so.  Make sure the grain is DRY on the outside before loading in jars and they’ll be good.  I run a fan on my grain after the boil.

Damn I let them sit for an hour in the strainer woth pretty frequent mixing. I'll try adding a fan next time.

When I was doing he agar to grain transfers I didn't realize there was grains stuck to the bottom of the jar lid. I'm hoping no mold or anything flew onto these grains when I took the lid off for the tiger drop. Do you think it'll be alright?

InvisibleLemurLemur
Pray for Boog
 User Gallery

#25070313 - 03/17/18 07:36 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

It doesn't matter were a bad cooties lands in the jar, i let the top colonize the top of the grains to try and beat any germination. Im not sure if its 100% effective et least not against trich but garden variety bacteria i think it helps just incase.

--------------------
(when my data is fast play Lemur in chess at chess.com)[ [gradient:#D40B29,#18C418]Any1 expecting a trade from me i havent forgot about you pinky promise, i fr promise shits just shit rt now[/gradient]

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Grains stuck to lid, just did A2G transfer [Re: LemurLemur]
    #25070320 - 03/17/18 07:42 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Damn yea thats what I was thinkin. Hopefully if any spores landed in there the mycelium will eat it up before it germs. Hopefully I just didn't get any spores in there tho.

Do you find that putting the agar plate in face down makes a huge difference? I didn't aim for either side but for some reason all if mine landed face up. I'm assuming it takes longer because when face up the mycelium has to crawl down the sides of the agar first correct?

InvisibleLemurLemur
Pray for Boog
 User Gallery

#25070351 - 03/17/18 07:58 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Yes huge dif, well to me, it takes about 5q days extra to reach the area a face down plate would.

Oh also i dont shake my jars before the the top is colonized thoroughly to see if anything nasty is sitting on top pops up.

--------------------

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25070354 - 03/17/18 08:00 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

I spread them out on painters plastic and run the fan on them...makes for a quick, even dry.  Couldn’t say on your contam possibility without seeing your technique but in the future, keep the lid facing down (while still holding) so contams can’t fall onto the inside surface.  Also, it does matter where shit lands and you don’t want it landing in your jar.  Minimal opening of jar lid, held a couple inches above the jar at a 30 degree angle with a  smooth transfer and minimal exposure time. :thumbup:

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25070448 - 03/17/18 08:44 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Mycolorado said:
I spread them out on painters plastic and run the fan on them...makes for a quick, even dry.  Couldn’t say on your contam possibility without seeing your technique but in the future, keep the lid facing down (while still holding) so contams can’t fall onto the inside surface.  Also, it does matter where shit lands and you don’t want it landing in your jar.  Minimal opening of jar lid, held a couple inches above the jar at a 30 degree angle with a  smooth transfer and minimal exposure time. :thumbup:

Alright sweet thank you. I'm gonna be doing another batch of grain today so I'l probablyl take ur advice and get some painters plastic. Do you mix it around at all while it's drying on the plastic or just let it sit with the fan?

Do you think it's too late to flip the agar puck upside down inside the jars? I did the innoculating about 12 hours ago.  I didn't realize they should be face down.

Edited by flyhighfunguy (03/17/18 08:47 AM)

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25070461 - 03/17/18 08:54 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

You could spread out on anything, but the plastic is handy.  Yep, I turn it while drying and weed out any burst grain.  Yeah, you can flip it if you like... give it a shimmy to get the puck covered a tad or just leave it til it gets established.  Try it both ways and compare.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25070485 - 03/17/18 09:07 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Alright sweet I'll go give at least a few of them a little shimmy right now and see if I can get them to flip. If it'll really make colonizing that much faster than i might as well I guess.

Edited by flyhighfunguy (03/17/18 09:08 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale