Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTh3k1d
Stranger
 User Gallery

Poppy strains for high alkaloid content
    #25066754 - 03/15/18 10:27 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys, quick question. Little preface.

My neighbors beagle has been growing opium poppies for the past two years. after having a mildly successful first year, nd a VERY successful second, he's been trying to locate the perfect seeds for a third.

The quantity he harvested last year was fantastic for the amount of space used, but the alkaloid content held ~10-12% morphine at best. So, this year he wants to make sure his plants come from genetics able to produce the 20-23% they've been pulling off in Tasmania and more recently Iran. Since seeds are not advertised based off alkaloid content, whats the best way to acquire a known-strain with high alkaloid potential, short of knowing another farmer?

Obviously aside from "buy Tasmanian seeds then." because 9/10 Tasmanian seeds found online are of the thebaine-rich variety.

Obviously the beagle is only growing for the medicine cabinet in his and the wife's dog house. He trusts opium tincture much more than most of the OTC meds it replaces for himself, his wife, and children.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Poppy strains for high alkaloid content [Re: Th3k1d]
    #25066782 - 03/15/18 10:40 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Th3k1d said:
seeds are not advertised based off alkaloid content

We must not be looking in the same places then haha, some are definitely advertised as such but whether the hype is true or not remains to be seen.

There was a website sometime ago selling a supposedly super strain called X247 or something like that for really outrageous prices. It's not there anymore though. There's also the "Izmir" strains which are pretty much marketed for alkaloid content, Izmir Galania, Izmir Bush Poppy & Izmir Giganteum.

Based on actual science though, this study compared 98 strains and found the Japanese strain Ikkanshu was the most desirable for yield, not the most potent but overall producing the most morphine I believe: https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/bulletin/bulletin_1957-01-01_2_page006.html#s005

A strain from Denmark tested at 30% though :shocked:

PS: I don't think your statement about Tasmanian seeds that are usually sold being the "Norman" strain is true.
It's actually pretty rare I believe, and easy to tell appart from the reddish color of the latex.

Edited by MeanGreen (03/15/18 10:52 PM)

OfflineDGB
Stranger
Re: Poppy strains for high alkaloid content [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25067766 - 03/16/18 04:26 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjpr-LptPDZAhVH2WMKHQnsAqgQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kirj.ee%2Fpublic%2Fproceedings_pdf%2F2017%2Fissue_1%2Fproc-2017-1-34-39.pdf&usg=AOvVaw349JhvinO6nbQKLcHsn8d1 ;

i would have to assume the afghan strain would be pretty high since they are bred and used specifically for opium production. but then again i don't know how much they are actually selectively bred as opposed to just grow a fuck ton of it.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Poppy strains for high alkaloid content [Re: DGB]
    #25067918 - 03/16/18 07:50 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I think in afghanistan and other places where they actually grow poppies for illegal production they pick strains that grow good in their specific climate.
Im sure there are better strains but remember that the farmers cant grow in the best soil, use the best fertilizers and such.
They need a poppy that grow good on poor soil and minimal of fertilizers.

I also dont think most of the Tazmaninan seeds are from the thebain variety.
To grow and use such poppies could even be dangerous from what i have heard.
I would try some known good strains as Tazmanians, persians or maybe danish flag.
Some of the % you will get depends on growing conditions i think so strain isnt everything.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

OfflineTh3k1d
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Poppy strains for high alkaloid content [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25068507 - 03/16/18 01:21 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MeanGreen said:
We must not be looking in the same places then haha, some are definitely advertised as such but whether the hype is true or not remains to be seen.
There was a website sometime ago selling a supposedly super strain called X247 or something like that for really outrageous prices.

He found that strain actually. The supposed GMO that jacked afghani production through the roof? The price on even 100 seeds is ridiculous though.

Quote:

PS: I don't think your statement about Tasmanian seeds that are usually sold being the "Norman" strain is true.
It's actually pretty rare I believe, and easy to tell appart from the reddish color of the latex.

I guess it's the beagles own misfortune that gave him this inclination. His first year, he had 5 tazzies come up, did beautifully, then he ended up getting a ride to the hospital from his doggo wife while he was uncontrollably vomiting and having convulsions. Got to the hospital, definitely thebaine poisoning. Was a hard pill to swallow for him to tell his veterinarian it was his own fault through ignorance.

Edited by Th3k1d (03/16/18 01:23 PM)

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Poppy strains for high alkaloid content [Re: Th3k1d]
    #25069256 - 03/16/18 07:00 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I guess i could have been the thebain variety then.
I hope my Tazmanians aren´t that one variety, they were bought at famous auctionsite.
Is there any way to tell?

MeanGreen, you say it´s easy to tell appart from the reddish color of the latex.
U sure about this?
If so i can test them easily.
But i have seen redish/pinkish color of the latex before, and i doubt it was Austrailian poppies.
Like these ones:

Not mine, pics from google.

These probably isnt norman poppies and the latex is redish.
So, any other way to tell so i doesnt need to visit the hospital?

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Poppy strains for high alkaloid content [Re: Mateo]
    #25069874 - 03/17/18 12:44 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Of course any kind of opium will dry to a reddish color, but as I'm sure you know, when lancing a pod the latex oozes out white. The Norman strain oozes pink/reddish as seen in this pic:

"Red or white?
Opium is traditionally gathered by scoring an unopened flower capsule with a special tool.

The capsule exudes white latex, which hardens into a resin. Larkin said the mutant poppy looks the same as a normal poppy except the latex is pink or red rather than white or cream."
From http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/enviro/EnviroRepublish_1203133.htm

However it seems Norman isn't the only low morphine & high thebaine strain anymore, Germany has been developping some new ones.

More info in this thread: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19592076/fpart/1/vc/1

--------------------
Trade List

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden