Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles)
    #25060592 - 03/13/18 01:36 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Jesse Lee Peterson (JLP) visits the ghetto in this video and asks people how they feel about Trump and his policies. I really liked this video. The ending was great. That kid wanted to smile so bad.

I like many of JLP's ideas for the black community. Some of his ideas get a little wild, but his main point is solid.

Check it out.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Edited by XUL (03/13/18 01:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: XUL] * 2
    #25060701 - 03/13/18 02:23 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Boring. Someone can, and I'm sure has, done the same thing in trailer parks and white ghettos with trump supporters. Only way something like this would be even a little interesting would be if it was done live and without editing, so the viewer can see reality, not just what the content creator wants them to see.

If you interview a bunch of people of any demographic you're looking to target, you'll get some ignorant ones and be able to piece together a youtube video that makes the weak minded partisan followers of whatever side you're on feel validated in looking down on the "others".

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: feevers] * 1
    #25060725 - 03/13/18 02:35 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

feevers said:
Boring. Someone can, and I'm sure has, done the same thing in trailer parks and white ghettos with trump supporters. Only way something like this would be even a little interesting would be if it was done live and without editing, so the viewer can see reality, not just what the content creator wants them to see.

If you interview a bunch of people of any demographic you're looking to target, you'll get some ignorant ones and be able to piece together a youtube video that makes the weak minded partisan followers of whatever side you're on feel validated in looking down on the "others".

Colleges are the best, interviews with people that are supposed to be a little more informed than the average citizen.

InvisibleAsclepius
Human Being
 User Gallery

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: qman]
    #25060732 - 03/13/18 02:37 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

So true.  Unfortunately, colleges care more about making profits than they do about teaching critical thinking skills.

--------------------
A society governed in terms of double standards is self-destructive

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: qman] * 2
    #25060768 - 03/13/18 02:53 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

feevers said:

Colleges are the best, interviews with people that are supposed to be a little more informed than the average citizen.

The idea is still pretty boring to me. There are plenty of intelligent college students with opinions based in fact, and there are plenty who don't fit into that category. Doesn't really mean anything or prove any sort of point. Why would being a math major or something give someone more clout in a political discussion? 

I guess the idea is that college students somehow represent the "liberal elite", so if you can find some that are ignorant you've "owned" the liberals. In reality it's just using some young people to make a quick clickbait video. I work with cops and veterans on a regular basis, and could easily get a million hit youtube video based on the ridiculously bullshit political things some of them say. That doesn't mean it's the norm and cops and veterans are uneducated or stupid, it just means ignorance can pervade all groups and someone with a camera can easily exploit that. It's the fact that people find validation in videos like this, on either side, that's sad.

Edited by feevers (03/13/18 02:53 PM)

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: Asclepius]
    #25060801 - 03/13/18 03:05 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Asclepius said:
So true.  Unfortunately, colleges care more about making profits than they do about teaching critical thinking skills.

That's an odd statement. Most professors really have no stake in the college's profits, and they're the ones actually dishing out the education. Plenty of professors emphasize critical thinking, plenty don't.

In my opinion it starts in grade school. We're teaching children foreign languages and making them memorize all sorts of stuff(which can be useful), but they often don't ever go through even one class strictly based upon critical thinking or personal development. That's always puzzled me.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: feevers]
    #25060809 - 03/13/18 03:07 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

If you listen to what the people say, you will see that most of them are in opposition, although one man concedes.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: XUL] * 3
    #25060864 - 03/13/18 03:27 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

XUL said:
If you listen to what the people say, you will see that most of them are in opposition, although one man concedes.

Would you expect anything different from a clearly biased content creator who is seeking video hits? Would a video showing the "other side" in any sort of positive light be good for his subscriber # and therefore his bank account? These questions are important and relevant.

Do you not think a liberal outlet like the young turks could go into that same neighborhood, and come out with a completely different video? Find a couple trump supporters, ask them why trump hasn't made the "ghetto" great again, find trump haters who actually have a good point, etc.

The only actual message of the video is that there are some ignorant black people in the ghetto. not exactly something interesting or groundbreaking. It's people with an agenda that can look at it and fabricate their own meaning.

InvisibleAsclepius
Human Being
 User Gallery

#25060921 - 03/13/18 03:47 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Most of my professors disliked it when I questioned their views regarding the curriculum being taught.  Mind you, a lot of the material was subjective to begin with: genetics vs environment, Behaviorism vs Cognitivism, and blah, blah, blah.  You get the idea.  I did have a few professors who encouraged independent thought but they were quite the rarity. 

K-12 schools in the U.S. also rely too heavily upon rote memorization, in addition to the teacher-centered method of educating students.  I remember being scolded by my 4th grade teacher for disputing her logic about a science project.  We had to collect a specified number of insect specimens, and we were instructed not to collect butterflies because they were "...Too beautiful to kill."  I asked my teacher, "Are you saying ugly creatures aren't as deserving of life as the beautiful ones?"  I'm sure I posed the question a little bit differently, albeit I alluded to the same thing.  Anyhow, that was a bad move on the part of an 8-year-old kid, I am sure you can imagine.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25060938 - 03/13/18 03:54 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

You said,

Quote:

I don't think he was looking down on anybody, do you?

He was just asking questions.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisibleAsclepius
Human Being
 User Gallery

#25060941 - 03/13/18 03:56 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

I forgot to ask, do most of your professors come up with their own curriculum?

--------------------

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: XUL]
    #25060968 - 03/13/18 04:08 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
You said,

Quote:

I don't think he was looking down on anybody, do you?

He was just asking questions.

Not at all, but also not a point I made(or implied) at all.

OfflineHerbalPotion
Dreamer
Male

Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: XUL]
    #25060975 - 03/13/18 04:11 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

One love :heart:

--------------------
~ vision without execution is just hallucination ~

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: Asclepius]
    #25060989 - 03/13/18 04:16 PM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Asclepius said:
I forgot to ask, do most of your professors come up with their own curriculum?

I'm in a graduate neuro program, so I'd be pretty impressed if they did :smile:.

In undergrad it was a mix. Seems like every class has a set curriculum that needs to be outlined in the syllabus. Not always the case, but it seemed like the majority of the "good" professors I had kept a vague syllabus and deviated  often.

InvisibleBuffy
The Slayer
Female

#25061971 - 03/14/18 04:20 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Jesse Lee Peterson is an absolute moron, and a self hating racist. He is never at a lack for terrible things to say about the black community, young black men in particular.

I can tell you from watching a lot of different youtubers who are black and do political type shows, the black community largely hates Jesse Lee Peterson, and they see him for what he is, and that is a black man actively impeding progress for black people in America.

I've watched about nine minutes of the video, and I'm not going to watch the rest of it, because I have this critique of the video:

He is obviously in an impoverished area, and he is seeking out young black men and women who probably don't have the best education because of their socio-economic status in life due to institutionalized racism and the echoes of slavery.

Finally when he interviews an obviously educated black man, and I'm referring to the musician with the pair of drum sticks, he doesn't show the full interview or what was said at all up to the point where he starts the interview in the edit, and this man is telling Jesse Lee Peterson off, pointing out how ignorant about politics he is. Peterson lets him talk for a short while, because he does not have the intellect, or argument to shut the man down, so after a short while he speeds up his voice in a comedic effect, and then shuts him off by editing out the rest of the footage.

I'd sure like to see that whole interview with that guy with the drum sticks. Looks to me like Jesse Lee Peterson got told the fuck off and couldn't post it cause it made him look bad.

I see absolutely no reason to watch Jesse Lee Peterson unless you live in a fantasy and hate black people. Guy is pure fucking scum.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: Buffy]
    #25062236 - 03/14/18 08:16 AM (6 years, 15 days ago)

He doesn't hate black people. That's just your opinion.

His main message (not from this video) is that a mother and father is important in the house -- regardless of color. He believes that broken families are one of the main problems in ghettos.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Edited by XUL (03/14/18 08:17 AM)

Offlineqman
Stranger

#25062260 - 03/14/18 08:38 AM (6 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Buffy said:
Jesse Lee Peterson is an absolute moron, and a self hating racist. He is never at a lack for terrible things to say about the black community, young black men in particular.

I can tell you from watching a lot of different youtubers who are black and do political type shows, the black community largely hates Jesse Lee Peterson, and they see him for what he is, and that is a black man actively impeding progress for black people in America.

I've watched about nine minutes of the video, and I'm not going to watch the rest of it, because I have this critique of the video:

He is obviously in an impoverished area, and he is seeking out young black men and women who probably don't have the best education because of their socio-economic status in life due to institutionalized racism and the echoes of slavery.

Finally when he interviews an obviously educated black man, and I'm referring to the musician with the pair of drum sticks, he doesn't show the full interview or what was said at all up to the point where he starts the interview in the edit, and this man is telling Jesse Lee Peterson off, pointing out how ignorant about politics he is. Peterson lets him talk for a short while, because he does not have the intellect, or argument to shut the man down, so after a short while he speeds up his voice in a comedic effect, and then shuts him off by editing out the rest of the footage.

I'd sure like to see that whole interview with that guy with the drum sticks. Looks to me like Jesse Lee Peterson got told the fuck off and couldn't post it cause it made him look bad.

I see absolutely no reason to watch Jesse Lee Peterson unless you live in a fantasy and hate black people. Guy is pure fucking scum.

"is a black man actively impeding the progress for black people in America"

By having a level of expectations for behavior and not playing the victim card?

"social-economic status in life due to institutionalized racism"

Not in the year 2018, much of that economic status is due to the poor choices of their parents and the community they reside in, not racism.

InvisibleBuffy
The Slayer
Female

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: qman] * 1
    #25064338 - 03/14/18 11:07 PM (6 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

"social-economic status in life due to institutionalized racism"

Not in the year 2018, much of that economic status is due to the poor choices of their parents and the community they reside in, not racism.

I'm having a bit of trouble reading your post here. It's not quite English ... oh wait, I know what language this is, it's the language of ignorant white privilege.

For instance, you seem to be ignorant of the fact that even though black people commit crimes at roughly the same rate as white people, they are stopped, searched, arrested, tried, and convicted at disproportionately larger rates. Drug crimes for instance.

Quote:

Nowhere are racial disparities in criminal justice more evident than in drug law enforcement. In 2003, black men were nearly 12 times more likely to be sent to prison for a drug offense than white men. Yet, national household surveys show that whites and African Americans use and sell drugs at roughly the same rates. African Americans, who are 12 percent of the population and about 14 percent of drug users, make up 34 percent of those arrested for drug offenses and 45 percent of those serving time for such offenses in state prisons. Why?

In large measure, because police find drugs where they look for them. Inner-city, open-air drug markets are easier to bust than those that operate out of suburban basements, and numerous studies show that minorities are stopped by police more often than whites. For example, a Center for Constitutional Rights study found that 87 percent of the 575,000 people stopped by the police in New York City in 2009 were African American or Latino.

5. Racial disparities in incarceration reflect police and judges’ racial prejudice.

Shocking instances of racism still come to light in the justice system. But racist cops and courts are not the primary reason for racial disparities in incarceration.

Consider increased penalties for drug offenses in school zones. Though not racially motivated, these laws disproportionately affect minorities, who more often live in densely populated urban areas with many nearby schools. In New Jersey, for example, 96 percent of people incarcerated under such laws in 2005 were African American or Latino. Judges didn’t necessarily want to sentence these defendants to more prison time than those convicted outside school zones, but under the law, they had to.

Where we spend money also contributes to the problem. The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 appropriated $9.7 billion for prisons and $13.6 billion for law enforcement, but only $6.1 billion for crime prevention. Politicians eager to be seen as tough on crime too often find ways to fund new prison cells, even though they know that minorities will predominantly fill them. This isn’t the fault of racist individuals. It’s the fault of a system that fails to take the promise of equality seriously.

The United States imprisons a larger proportion of its population than Russia or Belarus. Our incarceration rate is eight times that of France. These tragic statistics force us to ask: Would the American public accept these rates if incarceration were distributed more equally across race and class?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-incarceration/2011/06/13/AGfIWvYH_story.html?utm_term=.5fa6765e36bf

How about the death penalty? You know that's mostly for poor black and brown men, not rich white people, right? Of course you don't know that, you're ignorant.

Quote:

In states across the country, African Americans are disproportionately represented on death row and among those who have been executed.  Black people make up 13 percent of the population, but they make up 42 percent of death row and 35 percent of those executed.   In addition, many studies have found the race of the victim to affect who receives the death penalty, with homicides of white victims more likely to result in the death penalty.[ii]

Federal death row is no different.  There are 63 people on federal death row, and 37 are people of color.  Twenty-seven of these individuals are black.[iii]  Several reviews of the federal death penalty have found troubling racial disparities in charging, plea bargaining, sentencing, and executions.[iv]  For example, a review conducted by the United States Department of Justice found that 48 percent of White defendants were able to receive a sentence less than death through plea bargaining.  Yet, only 25 percent of Black defendants and 28 percent of Hispanic defendants were able to plead guilty in exchange for life sentences.

http://www.naacp.org/latest/naacp-death-penalty-fact-sheet/

Police shootings are no exception. If you are a black person, especially a black man, you are much more likely to be shot by a police officer than a white person.

Quote:

Black men are nearly three times as likely to be killed by legal intervention than white men, according to the study, which was published in the American Journal of Public Health on Tuesday. American Indians or Alaska Natives also are nearly three times as likely and Hispanic men are nearly twice as likely, the study suggests.

"It affirms that this disparity exists," said Dr. James Buehler, clinical professor of health management and policy at Drexel University in Philadelphia, who authored the study.
"My study is a reminder that there are, indeed, substantial disparities in the rates of legal intervention deaths, and that ongoing attention to the underlying reasons for this disparity is warranted,"

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/20/health/black-men-killed-by-police/index.html

What's more, is that in studies where pictures of black men and white men are shown who are the same height and weight, black men are usually perceived to be taller, heavier, stronger, and this holds true even if the person participating in the study is black.

Quote:

“Unarmed black men are disproportionately more likely to be shot and killed by police, and often these killings are accompanied by explanations that cite the physical size of the person shot,” said lead author John Paul Wilson, PhD, of Montclair State University. “Our research suggests that these descriptions may reflect stereotypes of black males that do not seem to comport with reality.”

Wilson and his colleagues conducted a series of experiments involving more than 950 online participants (all from the United States) in which people were shown a series of color photographs of white and black male faces of individuals who were all of equal height and weight. The participants were then asked to estimate the height, weight, strength and overall muscularity of the men pictured.

“We found that these estimates were consistently biased. Participants judged the black men to be larger, stronger and more muscular than the white men, even though they were actually the same size,” said Wilson. “Participants also believed that the black men were more capable of causing harm in a hypothetical altercation and, troublingly, that police would be more justified in using force to subdue them, even if the men were unarmed.”

Even black participants displayed this bias, according to Wilson, but while they judged young black men to be more muscular than the young white men, they did not judge them to be more harmful or deserving of force.

In one experiment, where participants were shown identically sized bodies labeled either black or white, they were more likely to describe the black bodies as taller and heavier. In another, the size bias was most pronounced for the men whose facial features looked the most stereotypically black.

“We found that men with darker skin and more stereotypically black facial features tended to be most likely to elicit biased size perceptions, even though they were actually no larger than men with lighter skin and less stereotypical facial features,” said Wilson. “Thus, the size bias doesn’t rely just on a white versus black group boundary. It also varies within black men according to their facial features.”

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2017/03/black-men-threatening.aspx

The fact of the matter is, even today in 2018, black lives are not valued in society. Black people are disproportionately stopped by police, searched, charged, convicted, shot, and given the death penalty. And this is just consideration of the criminal justice system. It holds true for employment as well.

Quote:

on average, “white applicants receive 36% more callbacks than equally qualified African Americans” while “[w]hite applicants receive on average 24% more callbacks than Latinos.”

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/9/18/16307782/study-racism-jobs

To say that institutionalized racism does not exist in 2018 is to be wholly immersed in the fantasy that is ignorant white privilege.

Edited by Buffy (03/14/18 11:25 PM)

InvisibleBuffy
The Slayer
Female

Re: Politics in the Ghetto (Los Angeles) [Re: Buffy] * 1
    #25064352 - 03/14/18 11:17 PM (6 years, 15 days ago)

XUL, I'm well aware Jesse Lee Peterson has religious based positions. He's a preacher or former preacher, after all.

But let me put it to you in a way you might understand better. Read my previous post, my response to qman.

Now imagine that white people actually were oppressed in our society. Imagine that your not so distance relatives where enslaved in this country and a civil war was fought over it. Also imagine that even though the civil war ended in the mid 1800s, racism against white people is still incredibly prevalent, and as a result of being white you were significantly more likely to be stopped by police, searched, arrested, charged, convicted, and sentenced to death than black people. Imagine you were also seen as more scary than a black person of the same height and weight, even by other white people, and you had a lot harder time getting a job as well, as a consequence of institutionalized racism against whites.

Now imagine there's a white guy going around saying white people are just lazy, racism isn't really a problem in the country any more, and is actively standing in the way of your race progressing socially and economically.

This is how the black community sees Jesse Lee Peterson.

Edited by Buffy (03/14/18 11:18 PM)

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25064456 - 03/15/18 12:53 AM (6 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Buffy said:

This is how the black community sees Jesse Lee Peterson.

That's how you see him.

Unless you have polled every black community in America?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale