Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOscars
Stranger
oyster fruits look a little off
    #25060050 - 03/13/18 08:25 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

So both my pink and blue oyster buckets are pinning and fruiting like crazy right now. I've been misting the fruits -- is this a mistake? I ask because I misted them for the past two days and the pink oysters have kind of this dullness to them now, even a little brown on the edges. The blue oysters seem to have a bit of white fuzz, almost like a mildew(?) where I've sprayed. Did I ruin them both? Grr

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUrban biologist
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: oyster fruits look a little off [Re: Oscars]
    #25060122 - 03/13/18 09:04 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Don't mist directly, I like to use a fogger like a cool mist or something similar. And if the mildew type fuzz gets bad spray with some diluted hydrogen peroxide. Any pictures?

Edited by Urban biologist (03/13/18 09:04 AM)

OfflineOscars
Stranger
Re: oyster fruits look a little off [Re: Urban biologist]
    #25060344 - 03/13/18 11:25 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Ah okay. I'm in Florida so humidity is pretty solid outside. Never drops below 60% this time of year and in a few weeks it should be 80-95%. But will def avoid misting directly from now on. Do you think the pink oysters will get their color back? Or are they just effed now?

Offlineseagu

#25060513 - 03/13/18 12:56 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I've always had great success misting directly with blues and pinks in buckets. Mist maybe once or twice a day morning/evening but only a light spritz each time. Keep a fan running to keep air flow going which also prevents the water from puddling on the Oyster, same as a spritz does. So maybe a moving 2 squeeze type spritz. I have found this to work better than trying to keep RH near 95%. Your mileage may vary. Where I am at my RH stays between 30-60%. Pinks do lighten. I wouldn't worry.

Pics are always helpful.

--------------------
Plan to win or you are planning for failure. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Just figure out the solution. Even if that means banging your head on a wall until the solution oozes out of you.

OfflineOscars
Stranger
Re: oyster fruits look a little off [Re: seagu]
    #25060702 - 03/13/18 02:24 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Attaching some pics. Man, the pinks are lookin worse by the hour... yesterday they were a really beautiful healthy color, today I'm worried about em. Anyone know from looking what's goin on here?

Also, a couple pics of the blue's and the white fuzz they've got goin on. I did spray with diluted hydrogen peroxide about an hour before taking these pics. Hope it helps.

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

Re: oyster fruits look a little off [Re: Oscars] * 1
    #25060985 - 03/13/18 04:15 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

That's not the normal color change on pinks, they bleach out as they get big.
I've had pinks get halfway that dark around the edges from being too dry, I'm not sure this is what that is either.

And temp/frying shouldn't be an issue not on the pinks anyway. Maybe have trouble with the blues as it warms up.

I'm kinda wondering if this is a parasitic contam or something affecting the fruits?

Maybe an over reaction on my part but those pinks are too young to look that brown and it could explain why it shows on both species (possible same contam from same vector?)

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

OfflineOscars
Stranger
Re: oyster fruits look a little off [Re: Humble Newcomer]
    #25061092 - 03/13/18 05:00 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Ugh bummmmmerrrr if it's a whole contam issue. All I'm doing for my oysters is cold pasteurizing straw for 24 hours (using Aloha's cold soap pasteurization tek) and then layering myc and the pasteurized straw in buckets. Basically RR's laundry basket tek but using buckets instead. Are there any other steps I should be taking to avoid contamination? They're having no issues fruiting, every drilled hole is full of pins and fruits right now, but now I'm not sure if they'll reach maturity. :/

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

#25061126 - 03/13/18 05:13 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

You should wait for better answers. I've never fruited outside not yet.

Can it be moisture issues? It does look similar to what I've seen from just overexposure on the pinks. But if so it's an accelerated case.

Have you ever cold pasteurised with soap before to normal results? I've heard of that method but I think it's much less common than heat and even lime

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

Offlineseagu

#25061162 - 03/13/18 05:31 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Humble Newcomer - Yea that's what I wanted to say but wasn't sure the right way of saying it.

@Oscars - Many different ways to grow Blues and Pinks. And definitely people more experienced than me. That being said. Here is my research and experience(without pics). Since you are doing a few buckets which means a lot of straw. Build a 55 gallon pasteurizer(electric or gas). Or pasteurize on stove with a few HUGE pans(not best option but works in a pinch). Put straw in laundry bags into the pasteurizer and pasteurize. Follow pasteurization temp and times. You need A LOT more holes on your buckets spaced all up the side of the bucket(see various bucket teks - read a tons). While incubating put a 13 gallon trash bag loosely over bucket to limit O2 and increase CO2. To increase success and all that while pasteurizing put the Hydrated Lime in the water right from the beginning. Let everything cool down. Pull out straw. Let cool to room temp. Mix in bucket with spawn intermixed. I use 2 quarts per bucket. Fill all the way to the top. Tons of holes all over the place will the Oyster grow. After Incubation time. Pull bag off and let sit for fruiting.. Enjoy your food. :crazy2:

--------------------
Plan to win or you are planning for failure. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Just figure out the solution. Even if that means banging your head on a wall until the solution oozes out of you.

OfflineOscars
Stranger
    #25063231 - 03/14/18 03:00 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

@newcomer -- this is my first attempt with cold soap pasteurization. Seems like all my pinks are unhappy right now, unfortunately. They aren't really growing now and they have that horrible dry brown look to em. But blues are doing really well! Even the ones with the questionable white mold are doubling every day. Humidity outside is dropping fast thanks to this cold front we're having, so I've been misting with water+hydrogen peroxide twice a day. Since I'm growing with buckets would it be horrible to just open the top and water? Or is misting the way to go? And is diluted hydrogen peroxide safe to spray with that frequently or should I just be using plain water?

@seagu -- appreciate the awesome tek but I'm not interested in doing bulk sterilization right now. I'm going for these cold pasteurization teks because I like how little effort they require. I'll be trying wood ash next as Aloha recommends it for max BE. Trying my best to avoid lime, I just don't feel comfortable disposing of it once I've finished the bath.

OfflineBry Bry
Mental
Male

Loc: Somewhere in time Flag
    #25063307 - 03/14/18 03:28 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

You still use the 55gal drum with cold pasturizing.

OfflineOscars
Stranger
Re: oyster fruits look a little off [Re: Bry Bry]
    #25063315 - 03/14/18 03:36 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Lol you're right. I haven't been using a 55 gallon drum, that's probably why I'm having all these problems.

OfflineOscars
Stranger
    #25063322 - 03/14/18 03:41 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone with recommendations on disposing of hydrated lime water? What's the most ethical/responsible way to do it?

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

Re: oyster fruits look a little off [Re: Bry Bry]
    #25063326 - 03/14/18 03:43 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I would leave the h2o2 out. I hear it's good for cobweb in mush cult but that's it and that's rare.

You may try wood Ash and try again with soap, i hear ya on the lime but I'm worried that maybe the soap doesn't work that well and that's why I don't read about it much.

Maybe it gave you a 50/50 success rate here?

I dunno on the buckets, is misting required after primorida forms? Misting would help form primorida but once fruits are there you probably benefit from not letting them dry out by barely misting them.

I'd probably soak it somehow after a first flush, with the lid on it will prob be ok

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

OfflineOscars
Stranger
    #25063366 - 03/14/18 04:00 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Sweet, I'll lay off the misting on the large fruits then. It's weird, the pink ones feel all hard and dry at the edges, I wonder if it's because I misted them?? I did open the lids on those to see if maybe they were just aborting from contamination but everything looked kosher in there so idk. But just to see if they can be helped, I'm gonna stick em in my martha greenhouse. Maybe they'll bounce back? Definitely gonna try ash next time too....I've got a local pizza place that uses a wood burning oven, maybe they'd let me collect the ashes.

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

#25063386 - 03/14/18 04:13 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

What did the oyster substrate look like when u opened lid? Did it smell good?

Uhhhh because I can't explain what's going on with those pinks I would not put in the GH because may contam other grows or the GH itself. It may be ok but nothing unknown goes in there

No misting didn't hurt it, when I first got my GH running it was too dry and my pinks would get hard and kinda leather and a hair brown on the edges, light misting would be same as a GH environment I think which keeps the fruit flesh young and fresh.

Unlike other subs which could regain a little water during the flush, your bucket is closed off and so youre only able to mist the fruits itself, so I'd just do enough to keep them supple.

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

#25063394 - 03/14/18 04:17 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

And maybe next grow do it in a way where u can track methods and results, find out which cold pasteurization method works for you and hopefully be able to tell if it was or wasn't the pasteurization that caused fontams. You can do that by adding some controls and taking notes on your grows

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

OfflineOscars
Stranger
    #25063398 - 03/14/18 04:18 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Man okay, I guess I'll take em out. When I opened the bucket nothing smelled weird, there weren't any strange colors. The straw still had good moisture too. Buckets still smell faintly of pickles hahah but they were pickle buckets initially so... not weird. If these are on the bottom shelf of the GH you think they'll still contaminate the entire GH? Bleh

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

#25063413 - 03/14/18 04:25 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Well if they smell good then maybe your ok? Smell and looks would be the hardest tests to pass.

Make a judgement call if u think it's just lack of moisture put em in and see. Worst case u just need to clean your GH afterwards if it is in fact contaminated

And yes, if your GH is built for edibles then one contaminated sub can contaminate the whole thing.

Even in a cubensis passive air slit type GH there's enough airflow to spread it around a little at least

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

OfflineOscars
Stranger
    #25063457 - 03/14/18 04:44 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Should I remove the crappy fruits and see if it'll do a 2nd flush?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures