Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline345536345
Pan parent!
 User Gallery

Easy sclerotia harvesting * 1
    #25059396 - 03/12/18 10:21 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I haven't seen this tip around the site yet but I have seen people build contraptions with wood and wire mesh to help separate out sclerotia from spawn.  That seemed like a giant pain in the ass to me.  I do however have a tight-grid cooling rack on hand.  This is perfect. 

Line the pan with foil and put the grid right on top.  Sort out your bounty, take out the grid, form the foil into a V-shape and funnel your grain into your vessel for fruiting.  Done.  Perfect sizing for sorting out a quart jar easily. 

After sorting you can sift through the dropped grain looking for little nuggets if you wish.  The bulk of the work is already done for you.  Use again later after fruiting to get out any additional stones from the sub.  Doing larger quantities? See below.

If you're not familiar a tight-grid cooling rack is used in cooking / baking and has (as you would guess) a tight grid design.  The openings are typically ~1/4" spacing. This is a perfect size to let grain fall through but keep your sclerotia riding on top.  They're also made to fit perfectly into a half-sheet pan.  Most home cooks simply know them as sheet or cookie pans.  They're about 13" x 18".  The wire rack fits nicely inside to let your tender cookies cool to a crisp while you drool over them (or burn your mouth with molten chocolate like I do if you can't wait). 

You can get these pretty much wherever they sell cooking stuff.  Looks like Walmart's got 'em as well.  Here's a link from Amazon.  Just make sure it's a tight-grid design. 

Don't have a sheet pan?  You kidding me?  Get off your ass and pick one up and grab some cookie dough while you're at it!  A sheet pan is a kitchen staple. Need to sort larger quantities?  Pick up a high sided sheet cake pan.  Just double check the dimensions.  Really any vessel could work.  You could lay out some foil on your counter, prop up the grid on soup cans, and go to town if you wanted.  Or put two sticks across your monotub, rest the grid on top and pour out in batches.  Pretty versatile, cheap, and usable for making some sweet, sweet, baked goods.  Enjoy!

:cookiemonster:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Easy sclerotia harvesting [Re: 345536345]
    #25059408 - 03/12/18 10:27 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I don't understand why people grow these tbh.

Seems like if would just be hard to clean and whatnot.

Plus the yield is so small and they take forever.    I don't mean to be an ass, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess for stealth grows, for personal use, it would probably be pretty nifty.

Good post though:thumbup:

Edited by impatientguy (03/12/18 11:27 PM)

Invisiblethelanzii

Re: Easy sclerotia harvesting [Re: impatientguy]
    #25059866 - 03/13/18 06:33 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

apparently, the trip is slightly different

they are a novelty and the galindoi fruits look pretty cool

Invisibleboom boom

#25059888 - 03/13/18 06:42 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

impatientguy said:

Plus the yield is so small and they take forever.    I don't mean to be an ass, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess for stealth grows, for personal use, it would probably be pretty nifty.

Good post though:thumbup:

Sclerotia is legal in some places where fruits aren't, the taste and texture are different and some people prefer it, and you can get over 100 grams per quart jar with some agar work. Plus it's a lot more stealthy and easy considering you completely bypass the fruiting step. The only real downside imo is that yeah it takes months.

Offline345536345
Pan parent!
 User Gallery

#25059905 - 03/13/18 07:00 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

impatientguy said:

Well, it's about as set and forget as you can get.  If you're doing jars the process is exactly the same.  Once the jars are colonized you can store them away someplace out of the way or keep them out if you like (if stealth is your thing it doesn't get much better).  No needing to worry about substrates (and all that prep / cleanup).  No need to worry about equipment (tubs, GHs, etc.).  No need to worry about RH, fanning, pinning conditions, when to fruit, etc.  Their harvest window is on the order of months - pretty much whenever you feel like it. 

When you do decide to harvest, you can choose to take some out of a jar and leave the rest till later (via sterilized spoon) or do the whole jar at once.  I showed above how easy it is to separate.  Honestly the cleaning is pretty equivalent to fruits in terms of time / effort / process.  I use a soft brushed tooth brush on regular fruits and the same is true here. 

The effects are pretty widely said to be very clean and visual. 

Then above all of this, if you want the fun of fruiting something, you can easily do that as well!  The fruits are roughly equivalent in potency to pans.  There is some nuance / skill needed which keeps it interesting and provides for a slight challenge.  The grains can simply be cased as is or you could choose to spawn to a custom bulk sub.  In addition, more stones are typically created during the fruiting process.  :cool:

Prints are a bit more sought after than many varieties so they're good for trading as well.

On the downside, they take a long time (at least 2+ months) so you need to be patient.  Since they're dead easy to do you can create a pipeline - make jars once a month and after two months or so at any time you want you have fresh sclerotia.

Along those same lines since they're so non-demanding people may find them boring.  That's fine too and in fact I think they're good to run parallel to your other endeavors. Also, if your current project fails, you always have fresh sclerotia at the ready.

Overall they're wildly versatile, dead simple to do while also offering a challenge and hands-on if you want it, and produce great results.  That's too good of a package in my opinion to not be in your repertoire.

Edited by 345536345 (03/13/18 07:04 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates