Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #25071303 - 03/17/18 03:46 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
that shit is das uber geigh

What's wrong with the heart, and what default icon would you prefer? And why do you think the heart icon stands for "uber geigh"?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #25071412 - 03/17/18 04:22 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Rhizoid said:
Quote:

DoctorJ said:

What's wrong with the heart, and what default icon would you prefer? And why do you think the heart icon stands for "uber geigh"?

Hi Rhizoid!I already answered your questions, which were already asked by other shroomerites, in a previous post. Maybe you should read the whole thread. Or maybe CSS is playing tricks on you, and you can't see the wlements that others can. LoL

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #25071459 - 03/17/18 04:43 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
Quote:

Rhizoid said:
Quote:

DoctorJ said:

Hi Rhizoid!I already answered your questions, which were already asked by other shroomerites, in a previous post.

Hi DoctorJ! No you didn't answer any of my questions. You claimed earlier in the thread that the icon should be related to the forum's subject matter, which I think is a perfectly fine claim to make, but you didn't answer my question which is why you think the heart icon doesn't fit.

Edit: I personally think that the heart icon is a good fit since philosophy literally means love of wisdom.

Edited by Rhizoid (03/17/18 04:58 PM)

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #25071565 - 03/17/18 05:39 PM (6 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Rhizoid said:

Edit: I personally think that the heart icon is a good fit since philosophy literally means love of wisdom.

OK, but metaphysics doesn't necessarily entail singing kumbayah around a hippie campfire...  It could entail some hardcore, headache-inducing rational analysis of some hardcore irrational people, and their whack effect on life.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #25073719 - 03/18/18 04:53 PM (6 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Quote:

StillSong said:
To pay respects to a longstanding (but fallen) shroomery member. It was a female as well...

Quote:

DoctorJ said:

The cause of change from the open book icon to the heart in my understanding (from one moderator) is that administrator Asante changed it because people were becoming far to unloving on these forums, particularly those forums that deal with ethics, philosophies and spirituality. A good number of Shroomerites have died during my stay here since 1999 and none of those, including at least one moderator, were memorialized by a change in icon. :shrug:

A heart is a symbol of love, but there are several different forms of love that the ancient Greeks identified. http://unisoultheory.com/index.php/2017/02/02/ancient-greeks-types-of-love/ English has not maintained these distinguishing types, and so the image usually becomes identified with a romantic or eros type of love that characterizes that Hallmark™ holiday, Valentine's Day (formerly Saint Valentine's Day until the USA became so secularized). Eros is not a strictly sexual term either, historically speaking. Plato's use of eros was with regard to a yearning for God and eros-mystical systems of attainment tend to have hierarchical or ladder motifs of ascension, whereas agapé-mystical systems tend towards a centripetal motif of self-realization. At any rate, a heart does not necessarily suggest saccharine emotionality.

Actually no, the icon was changed from an open book to a heart by Ythan, in memory of Acidic_Sloth, who always marked her posts with a :heart: and generally posted from the heart too.

The other admins were fine with it from the start, I myself saw as an extra dimension that the heart instead of the open book would divert some attention away from the mind towards the heart, and so would remind people to keep their feelings engaged in posting too.

Ythan customized every feature under the sun, we might just have the most customized forum of its kind on the web.

Why leave an open book, which is a factory default, when this has so much more meaning.

I don't see any reason to change it away from a heart, but if we were to go that way I myself would vote for a shroom. The open book was a bit meaningless.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: Asante]
    #25074433 - 03/18/18 10:55 PM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Thanks for that clarification Asante. :thumbup: I was misinformed, but from what you said I can see how the notion was exaggerated. However, I would say that an "open book" is not meaningless but is a fairly common expression about personal transparency. Being an 'open book' suggests that one's message is as plain to read as an open book, no guile as it were.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag