Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Why is the default post icon the heart?
    #25058794 - 03/12/18 04:49 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

that shit is das uber geigh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStillSong
Nomfortably Cumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: DoctorJ] * 1
    #25058802 - 03/12/18 04:53 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

To pay respects to a longstanding (but fallen) shroomery member. It was a female as well...

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: StillSong]
    #25059495 - 03/12/18 11:31 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

what would you prefer?

may i ask....what's with the sexualization of a symbol?

it's not befitting to worry about the sexuality of something unless you're trying to hide something.

((trolling a bit))

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#25059500 - 03/12/18 11:32 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

StillSong said:
To pay respects to a longstanding (but fallen) shroomery member. It was a female as well...

even if this is true (which how do you know this and i don't, unless this is your alt account....although i admit to being away for long periods of time)....

that doesn't mean a heart symbol is wholly female.

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Loc: South Flag
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: TameMe]
    #25059537 - 03/13/18 12:09 AM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Its true.

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: pineninja]
    #25059551 - 03/13/18 12:25 AM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Apostrophe can make a world of meaning

Edited by TameMe (03/13/18 12:25 AM)

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Loc: South Flag
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: TameMe] * 1
    #25059558 - 03/13/18 12:37 AM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Oh i no.

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineStillSong
Nomfortably Cumb
Male User Gallery

#25059927 - 03/13/18 07:16 AM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

TameMe said:
Quote:

StillSong said:

even if this is true (which how do you
know this and i don't, unless this is your alt account....although i admit to being away for long periods of time)....

Actually this is a newer account. I got locked out of my old one after forgetting a password. Ive been around for closer to a decade so Ive seen alot here at the shroomery.

To be clear I wasnt saying the reason the heart was used was because of her sexual orientation. If anything the heart imo has been a dedicated symbol of love for quite some time.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #25060631 - 03/13/18 01:56 PM (6 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

StillSong said:

Quote:

DoctorJ said:

The cause of change from the open book icon to the heart in my understanding (from one moderator) is that administrator Asante changed it because people were becoming far to unloving on these forums, particularly those forums that deal with ethics, philosophies and spirituality. A good number of Shroomerites have died during my stay here since 1999 and none of those, including at least one moderator, were memorialized by a change in icon. :shrug:

A heart is a symbol of love, but there are several different forms of love that the ancient Greeks identified. http://unisoultheory.com/index.php/2017/02/02/ancient-greeks-types-of-love/ English has not maintained these distinguishing types, and so the image usually becomes identified with a romantic or eros type of love that characterizes that Hallmark™ holiday, Valentine's Day (formerly Saint Valentine's Day until the USA became so secularized). Eros is not a strictly sexual term either, historically speaking. Plato's use of eros was with regard to a yearning for God and eros-mystical systems of attainment tend to have hierarchical or ladder motifs of ascension, whereas agapé-mystical systems tend towards a centripetal motif of self-realization. At any rate, a heart does not necessarily suggest saccharine emotionality.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: DoctorJ] * 2
    #25060660 - 03/13/18 02:09 PM (6 years, 17 days ago)

As far I remember it was about AcidicSloth. I hope I spelled her name correctly. She was a very worthy member of this community.
:heart:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #25060847 - 03/13/18 03:21 PM (6 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

A good number of Shroomerites have died during my stay here since 1999 and none of those, including at least one moderator, were memorialized by a change in icon.

Why was it this specific person who received a memorial, but not the others?

Will deaths be memorialized from now on?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #25061156 - 03/13/18 05:29 PM (6 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:

At any rate, a heart does not necessarily suggest saccharine emotionality.

Yeah, but it kinda does. :themoreyouknow:

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#25062308 - 03/14/18 09:14 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

TameMe said:
Quote:

StillSong said:

even if this is true (which how do you know this and i don't, unless this is your alt account....although i admit to being away for long periods of time)....

I always question it these days, when I am told someone 'died'

I used to make drugs, and my 'friends' 'died' a lot, you dig? But they lived on somewhere, in another state, under a different name, with a whole lot of my money that the feds gave them.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #25062313 - 03/14/18 09:19 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Quote:

StillSong said:

Quote:

DoctorJ said:

The cause of change from the open book icon to the heart in my understanding (from one moderator) is that administrator Asante changed it because people were becoming far to unloving on these forums, particularly those forums that deal with ethics, philosophies and spirituality. A good number of Shroomerites have died during my stay here since 1999 and none of those, including at least one moderator, were memorialized by a change in icon. :shrug:

A heart is a symbol of love, but there are several different forms of love that the ancient Greeks identified. http://unisoultheory.com/index.php/2017/02/02/ancient-greeks-types-of-love/ English has not maintained these distinguishing types, and so the image usually becomes identified with a romantic or eros type of love that characterizes that Hallmark™ holiday, Valentine's Day (formerly Saint Valentine's Day until the USA became so secularized). Eros is not a strictly sexual term either, historically speaking. Plato's use of eros was with regard to a yearning for God and eros-mystical systems of attainment tend to have hierarchical or ladder motifs of ascension, whereas agapé-mystical systems tend towards a centripetal motif of self-realization. At any rate, a heart does not necessarily suggest saccharine emotionality.

Well thanks for explaining that so eloquently. I'm truly sorry if AS did die. I think I might have met her once or twice in real life. I didn't mean disrespect, or for this post to be too OTD-ish.

As far as what I'd prefer, maybe the default should be different for each subforum, and the icon should be related to that forum's subject matter.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#25062321 - 03/14/18 09:22 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

StillSong said:
Quote:

TameMe said:
Quote:

StillSong said:

know this and i don't, unless this is your alt account....although i admit to being away for long periods of time)....

Actually this is a newer account. I got locked out of my old one after forgetting a password. Ive been around for closer to a decade so Ive seen alot here at the shroomery.

To be clear I wasnt saying the reason the heart was used was because of her sexual orientation. If anything the heart imo has been a dedicated symbol of love for quite some time.

Or maybe you didn't forget a password. Maybe someone changed your password, and then was trying to phish your OTHER passwords. This is why it's so important to encrypt passwords (salting and hashing) in an SQL database, and they should be encrypted in such a manner that no one admin could look at them.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: XUL]
    #25062402 - 03/14/18 10:04 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Quote:

A good number of Shroomerites have died during my stay here since 1999 and none of those, including at least one moderator, were memorialized by a change in icon.

Why was it this specific person who received a memorial, but not the others?

Will deaths be memorialized from now on?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: Middleman]
    #25062479 - 03/14/18 10:39 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Middleman said:
Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:

At any rate, a heart does not necessarily suggest saccharine emotionality.

Yeah, but it kinda does. :themoreyouknow:

Perhaps to some or even most. I prefer a more esoteric focus, mystical iconography for example.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: DoctorJ] * 2
    #25062503 - 03/14/18 10:52 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

We have a choice of 59 icons or no icon. All we need to do is choose when making a post. I remember AS being here, didn't know she had died. :sad: A number of people began to rumor that Icelander had died when he took a long break from this place, which was reasonable since he has been talking about suicide for many years. Nevertheless, Ice is not dead as two of our moderators paid him a visit last July and he and I have communicated since. BTW, I do not think you said anything that could be interpreted as disrespectful.

--------------------

OfflineStillSong
Nomfortably Cumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is the default post icon the heart? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #25062682 - 03/14/18 11:57 AM (6 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
Quote:

StillSong said:
Quote:

TameMe said:
Quote:

StillSong said:

Or maybe you didn't forget a password. Maybe someone changed your password, and then was trying to phish your OTHER passwords. This is why it's so important to encrypt passwords (salting and hashing) in an SQL database, and they should be encrypted in such a manner that no one admin could look at them.

Thanks for the info dawgitty. I have nothing to hide though and know nothing about (salting and hashing) unless its a breakfast thing...and I feel it kind of a chore to look up data or password encryption since this is a shroomery account and not the Dark Web and the extent of what I do here is identify fungus. But I respect your opinion on trying to keep members as safe as possible by passing along this information. :heart:

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#25070418 - 03/17/18 08:27 AM (6 years, 13 days ago)

I mean, someone could also be spying on your client-side data transmissions, or even your video output. That's why I despise onscreen keyboards. Easiest way for apple to get all your passwords. And just because Apple played a scene with the FBI in the media, don't think for a second that they can't or haven't been bent. Those people are freaky, and probably graftable via sex and drugs. Don't have faith in the integrity of NorCal yupsters.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds