Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | Next > | Last >
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: geokills] * 1
    #25045880 - 03/07/18 12:59 PM (6 years, 23 days ago)

Bit of a rout today, on account of (as others have noted) a trading bot getting hijacked and performing some nefarious autotrading en masse across multiple accounts on Binance.  Additionally, concerns over the large block sales by the Mt Gox trustee appear to be rattling nerves a bit, in conjunction with the regulatory uncertainties we've already been discussing.  Got kicked out of that ETH on the break of $800, two thirds of that went back into cold papery fiat, one third was allocated into XMR, which has been showing remarkable strength relative to the space in aggregate.  Ditched ICX and EOS for the time being, on the motivation to simplify and I figure with the release of early investor tokens on ICX producing fresh liquidity, and the ongoing auction of EOS that may place its price at the whim of broader market movement, I didn't feel compelled to continue holding them.  Have taken roughly 15% of my cash value out of my crypto portfolio entirely, and following is what remains as my active portfolio allocation as of 3/6/18:

• Cash 15%
  • NEO 15%
  • XMR 11%
  • NEBL 8%
  • NCT* 8%
  • ADA 7%
  • VEN 6%
  • XTZ* 5%
  • ZIL 5%
  • tZERO* 5%
  • RHOC 4%
  • OMG 3%
  • XLM 3%
  • NAS 2%
  • ZAP 1%
  • PROPS* 1%
  • POLY 1%

*Unreleased units, contribution equivalent

Updated my Ledger Nano S yesterday, and it was somewhat a pain in the ass, requiring removal of existing installed apps on the device, and subsequent multiple attempts after multiple failure to update notices, including a separate update step of the MCU before the firmware itself could be updated.  I was just about to submit a support ticket to Ledger when it magically accepted the update on the umpteenth attempt.  Ah well, it's still a nice device and am happy to have one.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineencryptor
 User Gallery

Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: geokills]
    #25046346 - 03/07/18 03:26 PM (6 years, 23 days ago)

Well I haven’t invested yet, but saw the markets are dropping.  Is this a good time to buy in or wait some more?

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: geokills]
    #25046351 - 03/07/18 03:28 PM (6 years, 23 days ago)

are you able to keep all of your holdings on that nano, or do you need some separate wallets as well?

I would like to be all hardware/paper wallets - but am not sure if thats a thing with some of these newer cyptos. Just wondering how you guys hold these things.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

InvisibleLophosaurus
suruasohpol
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: CA Flag
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: encryptor]
    #25047242 - 03/07/18 07:47 PM (6 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

encryptor said:
Well I haven’t invested yet, but saw the markets are dropping.  Is this a good time to buy in or wait some more?

I think it is a good time to buy. If you don't want to risk it then wait until you see the 1 day chart changing. It is always a risky time to buy crypto. That's what makes it fun. The bottom could fall out at any time, but if it doesn't, and it might not then you will most likely make a lot of money!

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: ManianFH] * 1
    #25047313 - 03/07/18 08:21 PM (6 years, 23 days ago)

mick, I definitely can't keep all of my holdings on the nano, but the bulk of them do work.  Click here to see a list of what's currently supported. Two of my long time holdings, XMR and ADA are actively developing support for the Ledger.  Also note that all ERC20 tokens are stored on Ethereum wallet addresses, so any ERC20 token can be dropped on your Ledger's Ethereum wallet address and stored without a problem.

encryptor, I'm not going to try to call a bottom (or a top).  If you want to put some skin in the game, put some skin in the game.  I always recommend buying and selling in scales.  So if you have no exposure and want some, then dip your toe in the water.  Keeping some powder dry can help you feel good about taking advantage of further weakness in the market, but putting a little bit in the game will also help you feel good if the market goes higher.  Know your timeframe.  If this is a long term investment, I would definitely advocate buying a bit right here.  If you're just trying to do a short term flip, sit on your hands as you ought to wait for an extreme price dislocation, which by the looks of things tonight, we may see pretty soon.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
    #25050480 - 03/08/18 08:30 PM (6 years, 22 days ago)

Ugh why is everything tanking every time I log in to check on my funds. ;(  I was supposed to be a millionaire by now!

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

InvisibleSirShroomsAlott
Howdy
I'm a teapot

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: mndfreeze]
    #25050511 - 03/08/18 08:51 PM (6 years, 22 days ago)

As of now I'm loving it lol Managed to cash out a certain amount 2 days ago, buy back in for a larger amount of crypto then what I sold yesterday, sold out again and can currently buy back more again, will at least buy back the amount I sold before I go to sleep. Debating on buying in using the extra or waiting till tomorrow in hopes it'll dip more.

It can and very well might end up biting me in the ass but all I've been trying to do in this market lately is cash out when I think it will dip more and increase positions without using new money. Ideally I should of just never bought back in yesterday and waited it out but it's still working out either way, in hindsight we all have 20/20 vision when it comes to trading lol

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: SirShroomsAlott]
    #25052389 - 03/09/18 04:17 PM (6 years, 21 days ago)

Speaking of coinbase, it seems they rob people more often than is commonly thought

https://bitcoinist.com/breaking-coinbase-confirms-drastically-overcharging-users-debit-credit-purchases-draining-accounts/

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

InvisibleSirShroomsAlott
Howdy
I'm a teapot

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: Stonehenge]
    #25052397 - 03/09/18 04:20 PM (6 years, 21 days ago)

Visa came out and admitted it was their fault and coinbase had nothing to do with it IIRC. Shortly after visa stopped allowing people to buy crypto with visa credit cards.

OfflineKittlebean
Male

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: SirShroomsAlott]
    #25053478 - 03/09/18 11:47 PM (6 years, 21 days ago)

Thinking of buying some DADI as I have noticed it is now available on some exchanges. Anybody own some or have and opinion on it, if so what exchange did you use to buy?

Geo, I remember a while ago you mentioned you were thinking of picking some up during the ICO phase, did you manage to get hold of any?

OfflineTipote
petty crook and transvestite
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK/France/US
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: Kittlebean]
    #25053663 - 03/10/18 04:31 AM (6 years, 21 days ago)

Does anything think we are seeing a bull trap?

--------------------
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

InvisibleLophosaurus
suruasohpol

Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: Tipote]
    #25054010 - 03/10/18 09:11 AM (6 years, 20 days ago)

I'm hoping it's an ABC correction because I just sold everything and now I'm only holding Tether.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: Tipote]
    #25056049 - 03/11/18 11:26 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Kittlebean said:
Thinking of buying some DADI as I have noticed it is now available on some exchanges. Anybody own some or have and opinion on it, if so what exchange did you use to buy?

Geo, I remember a while ago you mentioned you were thinking of picking some up during the ICO phase, did you manage to get hold of any?

I opted not to participate in DADI, after concerns about potential plagiarism in their whitepaper and general mismanagement came to light, without adequate response from the DADI team.  It appears their ICO rollout was a bust.  I'm not touching it.

Quote:

Tipote said:
Does anything think we are seeing a bull trap?

It's possible, but I would suspect more choppy sideways action on balance, for weeks to months, as regulatory issues remain at center stage with no quick and unifiable resolution.  Suffice it to say, I liquidated a bit on the ETH break of $800 and am not planning to put any of that money back to work at this time.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineKittlebean
Male

Loc: UK Flag
    #25056150 - 03/11/18 12:26 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

I opted not to participate in DADI, after concerns about potential plagiarism in their whitepaper and general mismanagement came to light, without adequate response from the DADI team.  It appears their ICO rollout was a bust.  I'm not touching it.

I had been doing some more research into DADI today when I came across this myself. But thank you anyway for the heads up :thumbup:

Offlinetomnl
Beginner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the shroom
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: Kittlebean]
    #25056285 - 03/11/18 01:17 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Electrify asia just had their ICO last week. Tokens are circulating now, i think its a great project with potential.

Greets Tomnl

--------------------
Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee, it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the USSA
You don't know how lucky you are, boy
Back in the US
Back in the US
Back in the USSA

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx

Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: tomnl] * 1
    #25056850 - 03/11/18 06:11 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

https://tezosfoundation.ch

Tezos board was expanded in late February and contains some notable figures, including Olaf Carlson-Wee.

They recently announced a partnership and funding for a program at INRIA called Learn Ocaml (the language that Tezos is written in)

There has been constant progress on their gitlab, and it looks like a real launch date may actually happen in 2-4 months.

Johann Gevers is gone, the guy who held up progress for all these months. Just yesterday they announced a partnership with Obsidian (can't remember the full name) a software company to create baking (staking) software for Tezos users.

Yes, I'm biased cause I donated a fair bit to Tezos but eh, things are starting to look up at least!

Felt I should update in case anyone was interested.

:cheers:

--------------------

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #25057756 - 03/12/18 06:28 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Anyone ever looked into VCHAIN? (VEN)

Local shroomery friend (Dankman) mentioned it to me.  I hadn't heard of it but I also don't pour over reddit and crypto forums all the time.  Wondering what everyone else here thinks.,

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

InvisibleLophosaurus
suruasohpol

Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: mndfreeze]
    #25057920 - 03/12/18 08:48 AM (6 years, 18 days ago)

I don't know anything about Vechain except that it is becoming more popular and more talked about which is a good sign usually. I think it is similar to walton chain right, like a logistics supply type coin

OfflineTipote
petty crook and transvestite
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK/France/US
Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: Lophosaurus]
    #25057950 - 03/12/18 09:16 AM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Geo, I thought MTGOX creditors were challenging the idea of being paid in fiat? Do you know how come the trustee has been selling off BTC and BCH? Has the challenge just failed or what? Its absolutely ridiculous.

--------------------
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Cryptocurrency: A Discussion on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Related Projects [Re: mndfreeze] * 1
    #25058197 - 03/12/18 12:02 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Tipote said:
Geo, I thought MTGOX creditors were challenging the idea of being paid in fiat? Do you know how come the trustee has been selling off BTC and BCH? Has the challenge just failed or what? Its absolutely ridiculous.

Mt Gox creditors were generally challenging the fact that BTC creditor claims were converted to their equivalent yen value at the time of bankruptcy (in other words, frozen at roughly $450/BTC).  Had bitcoin not appreciated in value the way it has, it would be a non issue, as at the time of bankruptcy the Mt Gox estate had recovered enough assets to cover only approximately $100/BTC claimed.  However, because bitcoin is now worth several times over what it was when the estate went bankrupt, creditors obviously want a pro rata (i.e. proportional) distribution relative to their claim size of the aggregate estate.  Thus, creditors have petitioned the Japanese court to transfer the estate into a civil rehabilitation process instead of bankruptcy, such that any value of assets that exceed the approved "frozen in time" claim values can be distributed pro rata to creditors instead of being given back to the shareholders of the company (i.e. Mark Karpeles, the same guy who captained the ship when it went under and who is standing trial for embezzlement of company funds), as would be indicated under the traditional interpretation of bankruptcy law in Japan.

Fortunately, the court has received a recommendation from an examiner to proceed with civil rehabilitation, so long as certain qualifications are met as it may pertain to provisions of the original bankruptcy guidelines.  We don't know exactly what those qualifications are at this time, but it seems probable that it involves ensuring that what would have been paid out under bankruptcy will be guaranteed to be paid out in civil rehab.  The trustee of the bankrupt estate is charged with ensuring that all creditors' interests are upheld as it pertains to Japanese law.  Because BTC is a volatile asset and it is generally unheard of for bankruptcy creditors to receive anything close to 100% of their claim value once a company goes bankrupt (let alone much more than that!), he made what in my opinion was a very wise decision to liquidate a portion of the estate's BTC assets once BTC's value had skyrocketed, in order to make sure that all of the accepted bankruptcy claims can be paid out in full as originally written.  Thus, it appears likely that Mt Gox creditors who hold a BTC claim will be compensated in a combination of fiat (yen) and BTC when this all shakes out, although this may change as the details are hammered out by the court.

While I understand why a lot of crypto "true believers" balk at the idea of their BTC being sold for fiat, I would remind everyone that we (as Mt Gox creditors) are insanely fortunate that the trustee didn't immediately liquidate all of the estate's assets when the bankruptcy was commenced, as is the standard procedure.  Because if that were done, we would only have received 20% of our accepted claim value (~$100/BTC)!  Thanks to the trustee's judgement to hold the BTC assets while researching the best way to proceed, all while BTC shot the moon, it ultimately took only some 16-18% of the estate's crypto assets to be liquidated in order to cover what is expected to be the entirety of accepted creditor claims at a 100% payout (~$450/BTC), while maintaining excess crypto assets presently valued at over $1.5 billion.  To the trustee's credit, he also began liquidating very near BTC's $20,000 high.  Some may argue that he single handedly crashed the crypto market by unloading some 35,000-40,000 BTC on public exchanges.  While I will concede that he would have been better off auctioning the BTC to private buyers instead of unloading over a public order book (which causes additional market pressure and generally doesn't achieve the best price due to liquidity slippage), I don't believe that his sales caused the rout in crypto, as they totaled some $400 million over a period of two months, versus bitcoin's typical daily volume of $10 billion or more during that same time period.

On the balance, I believe Kobayashi was being a responsible fiduciary and acting in the best interests of the creditors at large.  He achieved an average price of around $10,000 per bitcoin (which is above the present day value), and in so doing has all but guaranteed that creditors will receive their full accepted claim value while still being able to hold onto $1.5 billion+ of crypto assets within the estate that the courts are trying to figure out how best to get into the hands of the company's creditors.  Having locked in the payout for the bankruptcy claims should make it easier to justify transferring the estate's assets into a civil rehabilitation program because the bankruptcy obligations with regard to being able to make creditors whole, have been now been met; something that without which, the Japanese courts would have been very reluctant to approve a move into civil rehab.  Note that some additional crypto assets may need to be sold and held as a security reserve for pending unapproved bankruptcy claims from Coinlab ($75 million) and the Tibane estate.  However, there is a good chance that these claims can be settled for a much lower value, or ultimately be ruled against entirely, although the later ruling would be likely to extend the payout timeline by up to two years as the process moves through the courts.

In summary, I am pleased with recent developments, and happy to have a Gox Vault to call my own.  Selling a small portion of the estate's crypto assets to hedge against potential future losses in the crypto markets was a wise move.  Holding on to the crypto assets in excess of bankruptcy claims in order to allow BTC claimants to receive the bulk of their claim in BTC is also admirable, and by no means the traditional way of handling a bankruptcy case were this to play out "by the book".  I see the courts making a solid effort to deal with a unique case that does not have any precedent, in order to ensure that creditor interests are upheld in the most responsible and beneficial way.  People love to complain and get up in arms about the details, but honestly, despite it taking a long time, recent developments indicate that this is being handled very well.

Quote:

mndfreeze said:
Anyone ever looked into VCHAIN? (VEN)

Local shroomery friend (Dankman) mentioned it to me.  I hadn't heard of it but I also don't pour over reddit and crypto forums all the time.  Wondering what everyone else here thinks.,

I have been a long time supporter of VeChain, having first mentioned VEN in this thread 5 months ago when I was buying at around $0.32.  It is a well run project out of Singapore, with strong partner relationship development, currently focusing energy on supply chain authenticity and data management solutions but looking to expand under a proposed rebranding (named VeChain Thor) encompassing a broader range of use cases including DApps often associated with Ethereum's primary modus.

I reduced my original exposure to VEN after its blow off top in late January, never having sold out completely, and recently rebuilt the position over the past couple of weeks, presently occupying ~6% of my aggregate portfolio.

TLDR: Mt Gox is being handled well / I would advocate holding VEN as a long term position in a diversified crypto portfolio. :tongue2::thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds