Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months
    #25055729 - 03/11/18 07:57 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months
fox13news.com

TAMPA (FOX 13) - Rebecca Shaw is not a criminal, but for months, she was treated like one. The mother of four -- who didn't break the law or do anything wrong -- sat in jail for five long, agonizing months.

“It felt like my whole life was over. It was terrible," Rebecca exclaimed.  "My kids were devastated. I was away for five months. I cried constantly.”

Rebecca's perfect storm of hell started when she ran out of gas on the road. A Pasco County Sheriff’s Office deputy pulled up behind her, but instead of helping her, he asked if he could search her car.

“[He] said, 'What are these?' Rebecca recalled.

She told him they were vitamins, but he apparently didn’t believe her. 

“He said, 'They don't look like vitamins. They look like oxycodone,’” Rebecca continued.

The deputy pulled out a field drug test kit -- kits used by law enforcement all over the country to detect illegal drugs.  To Rebecca's shock, the presumptive kit produced a positive hit for oxycodone.

Rebecca insisted the pills were vitamins, not oxy.  But it didn't help.  "My heart just sank. I said, ‘That’s wrong!"

Rebecca was arrested, booked, and charged with trafficking oxycodone. With no way to pay a $5,000 bond she sat in jail. "It was scary being in there and having a public defender that didn't believe me," she continued.

After her husband was able to come up with the bail money, Rebecca waited another seven months for the state crime lab to confirm the pills were, in fact, vitamins.

The case was dropped but the damage had already been done, explained her new attorney Patrick LeDuc.  "He does the field drug test and because it tests positive, nothing else mattered. It didn't matter she had no prior record, it didn't matter she was out of gas.”

FOX 13 previously conducted a yearlong investigation on the unreliability of field drug test kits and how they often get it wrong.  Scientists showed us how household items like oregano, chocolate, and cough medicine tested positive for drugs, and how lives were turned upside down.

Despite all of that, law enforcement continues to use these faulty drug test kits and innocent people continue to pay the price.

"They’re putting innocent people in jail and ruining people’s lives," Rebecca added.

Rebecca is considering her legal options, but so far, no lawsuit has been filed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineleschampignons
Biochemistry + Mycology
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/NJ/ME Flag
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: Ythan]
    #25055763 - 03/11/18 08:33 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

:uhhnothanks: man that is so screwed up. :feelsbadman:

--------------------
leschampignons Trade List

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: leschampignons]
    #25055774 - 03/11/18 08:44 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Pasco County is on that Live PD at times.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: baraka]
    #25055836 - 03/11/18 09:27 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

How many millions is she gonna get?

How much does she deserve?

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: stzacrack] * 1
    #25055847 - 03/11/18 09:34 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

ACAB

It's sad it usually takes an occurrence like this for the average citizen to take off their rose tinted glasses for law enforcement.

Best part is that if she does get compensated for the wrongdoing it will be on the dime of Tampa taxpayers and not the cop or his department

Honestly I'd rather share the road with people high on painkillers than cops any day.

InvisibleJonEveryman88
ಠ_ಠ
 User Gallery

Loc: Land of Maple Syrup Flag
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25055927 - 03/11/18 10:13 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

I was really happy when I read this story. Why?

Another lawsuit for the police :grin: I hope she gets as much money as she possibly can.

Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: JonEveryman88]
    #25055997 - 03/11/18 10:51 AM (6 years, 19 days ago)

5 months?    That's at least 50 Grand based on that one thread:rofl:

Wtf. I would sue for as much as possible in that scenario.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: impatientguy] * 1
    #25056307 - 03/11/18 01:24 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

They need to remove 'qualified immunity' and formally prosecute the responsible parties.

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #25056347 - 03/11/18 01:48 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Pretty soon Trump will be accidentally executing "drug dealers" like her.

Invisiblemycoprog
Modular Heretic
 User Gallery

Loc: N. America
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: nooneman]
    #25056583 - 03/11/18 03:42 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
Pretty soon Trump will be accidentally executing "drug dealers" like her.

It's a scary thought. It would happen if that coward actually got his way.

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: mycoprog]
    #25056587 - 03/11/18 03:43 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

#notgoingtohappenforfuckssake

Invisiblemycoprog
Modular Heretic
 User Gallery

Loc: N. America
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25056608 - 03/11/18 03:59 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

I think you might be giving society a little too much credit.

--------------------

OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: mycoprog] * 1
    #25056646 - 03/11/18 04:25 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Im not sure she going to get anything from this. She consented to have him search her car. He found what he thought was drugs and the test came back positive. As messed up as it sounds I'm not sure the cop did anything wrong in the eyes of the law. He didn't violate her civil rights. Many people sit in jail until their unfounded charges are dropped.

--------------------
Matsesherbs.com is a SCAM site. Do not send them any money!!!!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: impatientguy]
    #25057189 - 03/11/18 08:49 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

stzacrack said:
How many millions is she gonna get?

How much does she deserve?

She will probably get nothing - the cops didn't do anything wrong.  You can only sue the cops if they violate policy or the law.    She consented to a search, the field test showed positive - so the cop was just doing his job as far as the law is concerned.  So no lawsuit.

It doesn't matter that she had no drugs - it matters that the cop had probable cause to believe she did.  If the cop knew she didn't have drugs but arrested her anyway, she could sue.

Quote:

impatientguy said:
Wtf. I would sue for as much as possible in that scenario.

What law would you sue under?

Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #25057206 - 03/11/18 08:57 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

For emotional damage and lost wages.

Idk what law, that's why you get a lawyer.

Unlawful imprisonment?
Lol

Maybe sue the creators of the bogus drug field tests.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

Edited by impatientguy (03/11/18 08:58 PM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: impatientguy]
    #25057244 - 03/11/18 09:16 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Would the cop's competency and training come into play? Or the department's liability and competency concerning purchasing and using  bunk identification kits.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #25057270 - 03/11/18 09:29 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

impatientguy said:
For emotional damage and lost wages.

Idk what law, that's why you get a lawyer.

Unlawful imprisonment?
Lol

Maybe sue the creators of the bogus drug field tests.

If the cops think you committed a crime, you can't sue them for doing their jobs.  The imprisonment was lawful because the kit gave the cop probable cause to believe a crime was committed.

Suing the makers of the drug tests might work.  I am sure people have thought about it.

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #25057439 - 03/11/18 11:31 PM (6 years, 19 days ago)

Houston did away with these field test kits. it seems too often that they have false positives. There was a guy who got arrested for sheet rock dust. the cop thought it was cocaine and field test was a glass positive. he sued and got like 30,000$.  I hope this woman can get some sorta compensation.  now she has a record and probably has to pay to get it expunged.  also they take way too long for lab results to come in. I had sat in jail and would've been in there longer if I hadn't got bailed. then the lab results came back inconclusive after like 5 months and got dismissed, so I would've been in there all that time for nothing. it's bullshit

OfflineCoolwhip GA
Stranger
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: Ogla]
    #25058311 - 03/12/18 01:13 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

I am really surprised to hear any municipality did away with the field test kits, way to go Houston. I was about to make a post saying we need to do just that, everywhere, but it's such an unpopular area politically that it would be a non starter.

It seems like ANYTHING will make those tests come back positive, I remember reading about how on of the most widely used test kits for cocaine would come up positive if used on FLOUR ffs.

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: Another field drug test mistake sends woman to jail -- for months [Re: Coolwhip GA]
    #25058493 - 03/12/18 02:44 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

The woman should consult an  attorney and look into  filing a class action suit against the manufacturer....maybe sue them for damages. It sounds like they are at fault for peddling a product that doesn't perform as promised. If the company is found liable, the cops would have to stop using them....My thoughts, anyway.:shrug:

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder