Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, CBD Compare   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePinkosaurus
Stranger
No mycelium growth/failed first attempt
    #25050421 - 03/08/18 07:57 PM (8 months, 28 days ago)

I’m hoping someone can help me figure out why my first attempt at growing mushrooms appears to be a dud.
I have this habitat for poison dart frogs that I made to mimic a real jungle ecosystem, and it does so pretty well. Within a week of it being set up I started noticing tiny mushrooms growing from the patches of live moss I planted, but they only get about an inch and a half tall at most (you see where I’m going here). I ordered a spore syringe, no name for the strain but they described it as a hardy cubensis with large, beautiful golden caps that grows easily even in nature .... The substrate in the habitat was a loose mixture of shredded orchid bark, coco fiber, and sphagnum moss, with a few handfuls of charcoal and perlite thrown in to help with drainage. But In preparation for mushrooms I stirred some boiled orchid bark into the top inch of soil before inocculating well over a dozen spots, using an entire 10 ml syringe. That was about 3 weeks ago, and I see no sign of mycelium development. As far as conditions go, the habitat maintains itself between 75-85°F and 70-100% humidity even at night. There are very small bugs in the soil that eat everything from feces to fungi,  but I’d be hard pressed to believe they ate enough spores to totally prevent germination. There have also been isolated cultures of mold on a couple occasions, but between the microfauna and the wood-based substrate they’re very small and short lived. What might’ve prevented the spores from germinating? Is it possible that they did and It’s just too early to see mycelium?

Edited by Pinkosaurus (03/08/18 10:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: No mycelium growth/first time failire [Re: Pinkosaurus]
    #25050517 - 03/08/18 08:56 PM (8 months, 28 days ago)

You did everything wrong and nothing right.
Especially the frog habitat and using a whole syringe on a hodgepodge of stuff.

Read the guides placed conveniently at the top of the forum

OfflineGalliumPE
Male

Loc: The Virgo Supercluster Flag
    #25050536 - 03/08/18 09:02 PM (8 months, 28 days ago)

Hehe I once had some mushrooms growing in my grey tree frog habitat. They weren't active though and were actually growing unintentionally because I used random soil from outside. Looked very cool though. The frog actually ended up munching down on the mushrooms once they matured which suprised me because I previously thought they were only carnivores.

--------------------
I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious - Albert Einstein

Edited by GalliumPE (03/08/18 09:03 PM)

OfflinePinkosaurus
Stranger
Re: No mycelium growth/first time failire [Re: GalliumPE]
    #25050564 - 03/08/18 09:14 PM (8 months, 28 days ago)

Yep, mine came hidden in sheet moss. Did you ever try growing active mushrooms in your vivarium? What would be the downsides/drawbacks? I’m not worried about a low yield or problems harvesting.

OfflineGalliumPE
Male

Loc: The Virgo Supercluster Flag
    #25050620 - 03/08/18 09:49 PM (8 months, 28 days ago)

No this was before I started cultivating so I never did try. A few problems I could see is frogs tripping on your toad stools and him tearing up the mycelium network overtime. Honestly the enviroment seems almost perfect though. Warm and humid which is just what tropical species like cubensis like.

--------------------
I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious - Albert Einstein

OfflinePinkosaurus
Stranger
Re: No mycelium growth/first time failire [Re: GalliumPE]
    #25050713 - 03/08/18 10:53 PM (8 months, 28 days ago)

I managed to find an interesting post on a herp forum claiming that they don’t react to psychoactive compounds (I’ve also read that herps don’t have cannabinoid receptors) The one thing I don’t want to do is put any sort of substrate in there that mold would find an easy footing in, since this is about as sterile as an outdoor patch. Maybe I need to look in to a more wood loving cubensis. Great to hear I at least got the atmosphere right though.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, CBD Compare   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, geokills, Asante, Shroomism, RogerRabbit, Ballerium, cronicr, bodhisatta
219 topic views. 1 members, 15 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2018 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 19 queries.