Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSpikeXena
Stranger
Female
Is it possible that the contaminations are because of not enough water?
    #25041153 - 03/05/18 07:38 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I follow the 2 parts vermiculite, 1 part brf, and 1 part water but after I mix everything together and squeeze the mixture in my hand almost no water comes our.

Here is what my contamination looks like, https://i.imgur.com/kKFsYih.jpg

all 17 jars through two attempts have come out looking like this

these reason I ask is because in the beginning I used a little more water and though it got contaminated I still got some mycelium to the point that little mushrooms were growing in it, and for the 2nd batch I watched how much water I used and put in a bit less and the contamination spread much faster than the jars with more water

what are your thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegrow4fun
I'm a teapot

Re: Is it possible that the contaminations are because of not enough water? [Re: SpikeXena]
    #25041167 - 03/05/18 07:43 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Contamination could be from a number of things, not enough water being one of them. Are your sterilization techniques on point?

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is it possible that the contaminations are because of not enough water? [Re: grow4fun]
    #25041175 - 03/05/18 07:45 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Water content doesnt cause contamination unless its way too much water in an open air environment.

Honestly that jar doesnt look contaminated to me.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. All the Benefits of a flowhood for 1/10th the price

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is it possible that the contaminations are because of not enough water? [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25041180 - 03/05/18 07:46 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Oh wait, nevermind i see it now. No water content didnt cause that.

How long did you sterilize for?

--------------------

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

OfflineUnsungHero
Endure & Persist

Loc: root@remotehost
Re: Is it possible that the contaminations are because of not enough water? [Re: grow4fun]
    #25041183 - 03/05/18 07:48 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Cant really tell what the pic is atm on my phone... I think clean jars that lack proper water content will simply stall. Not sure why that would cause contamination. If anything, you are just seeing faster growth of the mold in jars that arent as moist. If you follow the tek properly and use the proper ratios etc, that shouldn't be an issue.

Time to re-examine your sterile technique.

--------------------
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear."

Offlinegrow4fun
I'm a teapot

Re: Is it possible that the contaminations are because of not enough water? [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25041308 - 03/05/18 08:44 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:
Water content doesnt cause contamination unless its way too much water in an open air environment.

Honestly that jar doesnt look contaminated to me.

Are you sure? I thought grains can cause contamination if it's way too dry. Whether it causes contams or not, it's no good either way. :biggrin:

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25041518 - 03/05/18 10:14 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

No dude dryness doesnt cause contamination. Contamination causes contamination.

If your colonized grains are so fucking dry that your mycelium cant grow then when you spawn the contamination in the air can have time to colonize the grain before the myc recovers but the bulk sub should provide moisture to hydrate the myc and take care of that, that doesnt mean that dryness magically creates contamination. Sterilized dry grains in a jar are just dry grains in a jar.

--------------------

Offlinegrow4fun
I'm a teapot

#25048184 - 03/08/18 11:54 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

If your colonized grains are so fucking dry that your mycelium cant grow then when you spawn the contamination in the air can have time to colonize the grain before the myc recovers but the bulk sub should provide moisture to hydrate the myc and take care of that, that doesnt mean that dryness magically creates contamination. Sterilized dry grains in a jar are just dry grains in a jar.

So contams can't really grow on dry ass grains because there's no resources it can use? But contams feast on water though right? So, if it's too wet, then it's more likely to be contaminated.
Trying to understand that. Thanks for the info.

OfflineQuirkmeister92
Street Doctor

Loc: Grateful Dead USA
    #25048226 - 03/08/18 12:28 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

grow4fun said:
Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

So contams can't really grow on dry ass grains because there's no resources it can use? But contams feast on water though right? So, if it's too wet, then it's more likely to be contaminated.

Contams require water to thrive, but not necessarily to exist. Should contams be present, but the enviroment too dry to activate, multiply, or grow then they may just lay unnoticed until given water. Same applies for mycellium.

--------------------
Come over to the oat side...

Offlinegrow4fun
I'm a teapot

Re: Is it possible that the contaminations are because of not enough water? [Re: Quirkmeister92]
    #25048229 - 03/08/18 12:29 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Quirkmeister92 said:
Quote:

grow4fun said:
Quote:

elasticaltiger said:

Contams require water to thrive, but not necessarily to exist. Should contams be present, but the enviroment too dry to activate, multiply, or grow then they may just lay unnoticed until given water. Same applies for mycellium.

Couldn't have said it any better. Yeah makes sense.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation