Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePennsylvaniac
Stranger
A question on sanitizing/sterilizing.
    #25041368 - 03/05/18 07:14 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

So I've been a homebrewer for a bit now and looking through cultivation teks I see people talking about sterilizing/sanitizing and, mainly using pressure cooking, is there any reason I couldn't use homebrew chemicals for this process? (for example using starsan to sanitize jars then adding campden tablets to my liquid malt extract and water, 24 hours prior to inoculating for a liquid culture) homebrewing is essentially  the same principle (kill all the tiny critters so your tiny critters have no competition.)  I've just been wondering, and seeing as how there is a homebrew section on this site as well  I was hoping to gain some insight on what is translatable between these two hobbies.  Thanks in advance. Have a good one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A question on sanitizing/sterilizing. [Re: Pennsylvaniac]
    #25041392 - 03/05/18 07:25 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Starsan is homebrew crap. It doesn't cut it for anyone past brewpub size. It doesn't really act on wild yeast at all. It will not adequately sanitize a fermentor. Known as DDBSA to industry brewers

Peroxyacetic acid isn't really sold to consumers. But it would not be useful for anything other than spraying your still air box or gloves for flow hood work.

Iodopor is like bleach. Also just a sanitizer. Not a sterilizer

In short no there's really no use for Homebrew stuff in mycology.
Ive been a brewer for 5+ years in places from 100bbl year to 60k bbl/year
And in brewing QA 3+

OfflinePennsylvaniac
Stranger
Re: A question on sanitizing/sterilizing. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25041431 - 03/05/18 07:37 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you brother, I appreciate it. So on that same vein of thought is using a pc or boiling my larger carboys a safer and smarter method than using one-step and starsan?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25041438 - 03/05/18 07:39 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Use iodophor at home. Yea it stains but be careful. It does permanently stain Plastic and rubber but that actually is microscopically making it more smooth and easier to sanitize in the future

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25041443 - 03/05/18 07:41 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Im used to having hot liquor (170-180f water on demand) i would use that to sanitize carboys for pilot batches. I don't think its good for the glass tho

I was going to make an iodophor tek for mycology purpose but figured why go out and buy iodophor if you can just buy some alcohol.
Iodopor is cheaper in the long run but it also stains. Sometimes i use it if I don't have isopropyl on hand

OfflinePennsylvaniac
Stranger
    #25041463 - 03/05/18 07:51 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Are you saying if my water is 180+ from the tap I don't need to be too concerned about additional sanitization? (for homebrew) because I'm right up there with you on the high heat straight from the faucet.

I'm sorry I only saw your second post when I wrote my last one. So I want iodophor for my homebrewing?  and if it stains my plastic carboys or bottling buckets, don't worry. Right?

Edited by Pennsylvaniac (03/05/18 07:55 PM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25041505 - 03/05/18 08:08 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

The pitch rate of yeast beats out contaminants. You only need to sanitize a carboy because yeast quickly takes over and makes the environment anaerobic and drops the ph. This doesn't allow any contaminants to grow besides a few things like wild yeast and some acid forming bacteria like lactobacillus. These pose no threat to humans and only pose taste issues to the beer. Thus in beer nothing that survived boiling or sanitizing will even be able to grow. And the contaminants of beer get in from poor yeast handling or poor sanitization.

Grain spawn on the other hand stays aerobic and at a neutral ph. Thus all sorts of contamination can grow that survives boiling and sanitizers.

For instance clostridium endospores make it into the fermentor. They survive boiling. They cannot germinate in the low ph and anaerobic environment caused by the yeast.
If you do not immediately inoculate wort it will get disgusting within 2 days

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag