Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] * 2
    #25040142 - 03/05/18 10:22 AM (6 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test
Struggling to hire, some companies are relaxing corporate drug policies.
By Rebecca Greenfield and Jennifer Kaplan
Original Source: Bloomberg.com
March 5, 2018, 1:00 AM PST

Employers are struggling to hire workers in tightening U.S. job market. Marijuana is now legal in nine states and Washington, D.C., meaning more than one in five American adults can eat, drink, smoke or vape as they please. The result is the slow decline of pre-employment drug tests, which for decades had been a requirement for new recruits in industries ranging from manufacturing to finance.

As of the beginning of 2018, Excellence Health Inc., a Las Vegas-based health care company with around 6,000 employees, no longer drug tests people coming to work for the pharmaceutical side of the business. The company stopped testing for marijuana two years ago. “We don’t care what people do in their free time,” said Liam Meyer, a company spokesperson. “We want to help these people, instead of saying: ‘Hey, you can’t work for us because you used a substance,’” he added. The company also added a hotline for any workers who might be struggling with drug use.

Last month, AutoNation Inc., the largest U.S. auto dealer, announced it would no longer refuse job applicants who tested positive for weed. The Denver Post, owned by Digital First Media, ended pre-employment drug testing for all non-safety sensitive positions in September 2016.

So far, companies in states that have legalized either recreational or medicinal marijuana are leading the way on dropping drug tests. A survey last year by the Mountain States Employers Council of 609 Colorado employers found that the share of companies testing for marijuana use fell to 66 percent, down from 77 percent the year before.

Drug testing restricts the job pool, and in the current tight labor market, that’s having an impact on productivity and growth. In surveys done by the Federal Reserve last year, employers cited an inability by applicants to pass drug tests among reasons for difficulties in hiring. Failed tests reached an all-time high in 2017, according to data from Quest Diagnostics Inc. That's likely to get worse as more people partake in state-legalized cannabis.

“The benefits of at least reconsidering the drug policy on behalf of an employer would be pretty high,” said Jeremy Kidd, a professor at Mercer Law School, who wrote a paper on the economics of workplace drug testing. “A blanket prohibition can’t possibly be the most economically efficient policy.”

Companies are having a hard enough time hiring, with unemployment hovering around 4 percent. “Employers are really strapped and saying ‘We’re going to forgive certain things,’” said James Reidy, a lawyer that works with employers on their human resources policies. Reidy knows of a half-dozen other large employers that have quietly changed their policies in recent years. Not all companies want to advertise the change, fearing it might imply they are soft on drugs. (Even former FBI director James Comey in 2014 half-joked about the need for the bureau to re-evaluate its drug-testing policy to attract the best candidates.)

Why the change? Pre-employment testing is no longer worth the expense in a society increasingly accepting of drug use. A Gallup poll in October found that 64 percent of Americans favor legalization. That's the most since the company first started asking the question in 1969, when only 12 percent supported changing the plant's status. Drug tests costs from $30 to $50 a pop, but the potential costs to an employer are far greater than the actual test.

In addition to helping ease the labor market, eliminating drug testing could have even broader benefits for the economy, said Kidd. Employers could hire the best, theoretically most-productive workers, he said, instead of rejecting people based on their recreational habits. Companies have said they lose out to foreign competitors because they can’t find people who can pass drugs tests, a particularly acute problem in the areas most affected by the opioid crisis.

Some jobs, such as those involving the use of heavy machinery, will always require drug tests. Excellence Health still drug-tests any employee working on a government contract, even in states where weed is legal. Companies are also reserving the right to test after an accident or if an employee comes to work notably impaired.

Not all companies are ready to change course. Restaurant Brands International Inc., which owns Burger King, hasn’t altered its corporate marijuana policy, said Chief Executive Officer Daniel Schwartz. Ford Motor Co. still treats pot as an illegal substance, according to a company spokeswoman.

Weed-averse employers have a notable ally: Attorney General Jeff Sessions. A longtime opponent of legalization, Sessions rescinded in January the Obama-era policies that enabled state-legalized cannabis industries to flourish. The uncertainty caused by the Justice Department’s actions may discourage companies from making changes.

Employers can also get discounts on workers’ compensation insurance for maintaining a “drug-free workplace” by, in part, drug-testing workers. But the types of workplaces forgoing pre-employment tests already enjoy relatively small savings. A job in an office setting, for example, won’t have very many workers’ compensation claims, compared to a factory. The money saved by meeting the qualifications for a drug-free zone isn’t worth it.

“We assume that a certain level of employees are going to be partaking on the weekends,” said Reidy, the employment lawyer. “We don’t care. We’re going to exclude a whole group of people, and we desperately need workers.”

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJonEveryman88
ಠ_ಠ
 User Gallery

Loc: Land of Maple Syrup Flag
Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: geokills]
    #25040188 - 03/05/18 10:47 AM (6 years, 25 days ago)

I don't think this is acceptance of drug use, more like they're saying they finally accepted the reality of the situation.

These companies don't want to hire people who use drugs, they just have no choice anymore. If the job market were to change and unemployment were to go down I don't think these companies would be singing the same song that they are right now.

But then again marijuana use today has become a lot more accepted in our society, so who's to say this isn't progress?

Time will tell, but for now:

:thumbup:

Edited by JonEveryman88 (03/05/18 10:49 AM)

OfflineFractalMind
Werewolf
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: JonEveryman88]
    #25040424 - 03/05/18 12:59 PM (6 years, 25 days ago)

And we'll get there quicker just a step at a time!

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: FractalMind]
    #25040608 - 03/05/18 02:29 PM (6 years, 25 days ago)

excellent news. This shit pisses me off in the legal states. Employing full blown alcoholics but somehow pot is a no no

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #25040841 - 03/05/18 04:02 PM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Nanny state at it's finest
most of the time it just makes people poorer

on the off chance you get in an accident the insurance has to pay more if the driver is drunk, but pot is always in your system even if you didn't smoke

Edited by Konyap (03/05/18 04:04 PM)

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

Loc: Chinada Flag
Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: Konyap]
    #25041385 - 03/05/18 07:21 PM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Im pretty sceptical. I was at a safety seminar for work about a year ago.  And one section was basically a dare slideshow. They were stating how they needed to do more drug testing.  As how marijuana hang overs and employees showing up high, were reasons for the increase in work place injuries in states that legalized weed or whatever. They set a pretty dark tune, about how they needed to step up efforts to stop employees from showing up high or for employees to not smoke marijuana at all, because of the drastic impairing effects of marijuana hang overs. I felt like puking after that seminar

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: MagicMush123] * 2
    #25041426 - 03/05/18 07:34 PM (6 years, 24 days ago)

marijuana hangovers? What even is that?

InvisibleJonEveryman88
ಠ_ಠ
 User Gallery

Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #25041458 - 03/05/18 07:48 PM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:

I think he means burnt-out.

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #25041829 - 03/05/18 11:11 PM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:

A doctor or scientist, i cant remember spoke, and he apparently found slower reaction time in subjects within 12 hours of smoking.  And that, and showing up high, was the reason for increased accidents in legal or medical states. And thats why they should increase or implement testing in work places

Offlinetriphead9428
Stranger
Male
Loc: VA
Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: MagicMush123]
    #25041883 - 03/05/18 11:54 PM (6 years, 24 days ago)

This is honestly the biggest reason I want weed to be legalized. Not because of access, I already smoke weed whether its legal or not, not because I can't handle the risk anymore, I can't conceive of a way for the cops to find me smoking a joint in my own apartment, not even because of the prices because the amount of money required to buy weed feels like nothing to me now. Its because I do not want my drug use to prevent me from getting a job. Weed is literally the hardest drug to pass a drug test. I really just want weed to be legal so that employers don't have an excuse to drug test employees for weed.

InvisibleJonEveryman88
ಠ_ಠ
 User Gallery

Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: triphead9428]
    #25041891 - 03/06/18 12:00 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Even if it was legal employers still reserve the right to drug-test people applying for jobs.

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: triphead9428]
    #25041896 - 03/06/18 12:06 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

triphead9428 said:
This is honestly the biggest reason I want weed to be legalized. Not because of access, I already smoke weed whether its legal or not, not because I can't handle the risk anymore, I can't conceive of a way for the cops to find me smoking a joint in my own apartment, not even because of the prices because the amount of money required to buy weed feels like nothing to me now. Its because I do not want my drug use to prevent me from getting a job. Weed is literally the hardest drug to pass a drug test. I really just want weed to be legal so that employers don't have an excuse to drug test employees for weed.

If there is scientific "evidence " that marijuana slows reaction time, legal or not, you're not entitled to smoke it. If you operate machinery, they can still have a zero marijuana policy for safety reasons. 
Alcohol is legal, that doesnt mean you can show up hung over. Its a safety concern and youll be sent home.
The way i see it, marijuana legalization will do more harm than good. Now it's in everyone face and little bitch whiners want to complain about it, or they're scared.  Their complaints are heard, thats why they're focusing on it now.  Work place safety, developing marijuana breathalyzers... if it was still illegal and in the background and not talked about all the time, you could bet there still wouldn't be any worry about high drivers and people showing up fucking "hungover " to work trying to kill everybody

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: The Coming Decline of the Employment Drug Test [Bloomberg] [Re: MagicMush123]
    #25041901 - 03/06/18 12:08 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

MagicMush123 said:
Quote:

triphead9428 said:

If there is scientific "evidence " that marijuana slows reaction time, legal or not, you're not entitled to smoke it. If you operate machinery, they can still have a zero marijuana policy for safety reasons. 
Alcohol is legal, that doesnt mean you can show up hung over. Its a safety concern and youll be sent home.
The way i see it, marijuana legalization will do more harm than good. Now it's in everyone face and little bitch whiners want to complain about it, or they're scared.  Their complaints are heard, thats why they're focusing on it now.  Work place safety, developing marijuana breathalyzers... if it was still illegal and in the background and not talked about all the time, you could bet there still wouldn't be any worry about high drivers and people showing up fucking "hungover " to work trying to kill everybody

Its a good thing he wasn't implying he would use heavy machinery while high or you might have a point :shrug: :lol:

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

#25041911 - 03/06/18 12:12 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
Quote:

MagicMush123 said:
Quote:

triphead9428 said:

Its a good thing he wasn't implying he would use heavy machinery while high or you might have a point :shrug: :lol:

Maybe you should re read my post. If its deemed that it slows your reaction time for 12 hours after ingestion. That would be grounds for  a no marijuana policy, period. Doesnt matter if you're high or not at the time.

If they test you, and find any levels, you're fired.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#25041916 - 03/06/18 12:15 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

I read it loud and clear. You dont have much of a point except restating what has already been established :shrug:

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

#25041926 - 03/06/18 12:18 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

It was an arbitrary point that had nothing to with the person i was replying to, just an example

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#25041935 - 03/06/18 12:21 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

very misleading to quote them before replying :rolleyes:

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

#25041937 - 03/06/18 12:23 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
very misleading to quote them before replying :rolleyes:

The point was they can still test or have policies, legal or not

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#25041941 - 03/06/18 12:24 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

which everybody already knows

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

#25041946 - 03/06/18 12:26 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Obviously he didnt or else he wouldn't have made that post:lol:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals