Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineABD
Stranger
next set of trays
    #25028672 - 02/28/18 12:35 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

So my next set I cheese gratered BRF cakes and mixed with a pound of Outgrow soil. Filled tray to with a 1/4" then topped off with a coir/coffee ground substrate mix. 10 days later I see nothing happining on top except what appears to be a bit of green mold with a couple smaller than dime size myc spots. I lightly scraped the top layer off and it all crumbled away very easily. Under that layer is established very well as far as substance, I can tell it's one solid unit. There is still a dusting of the substrate it didn't like as I didn't want to scrape the top layer of myc.... I'll give it a day and see what happens. Thought about rinsing that top layer but worried about the water pushing some down around the liner and causing more problems.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: next set of trays [Re: ABD]
    #25028710 - 02/28/18 12:52 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

It was the coffee you added to the coir casing that had the trich IMO.  Unless your spawn was dirty.

Just use coir verm and gypsum, hydrate to just under field capacity.

Throw it out man it's toast.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

OfflineABD
Stranger
Re: next set of trays [Re: impatientguy]
    #25028718 - 02/28/18 01:04 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Yea I read a guys comment about people having issues with coffee. Gonna stay away from that from now on. Having problems getting started here but that's how you learn I spose.

Offlinewushroow
Male

#25028842 - 02/28/18 01:52 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

I like to brew the coffee, then put the grounds into my BRF cakes

--------------------
:tripmolecule:  :thataintright:  :tripmolecule:

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: next set of trays [Re: wushroow]
    #25029370 - 02/28/18 03:28 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Coffee is terrible for a top layer. If I leave coffee in my pot for 3 days it molds.

Anyway if you've scraped it off best you can hope for is some fruits before the little bits of coffee left over begin to mold.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Interdimensional Bootcamp
Trusted Cultivator
    #25029378 - 02/28/18 03:32 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

ABD said:
So my next set I cheese gratered BRF cakes and mixed with a pound of Outgrow soil. Filled tray to with a 1/4" then topped off with a coir/coffee ground substrate mix. 10 days later I see nothing happining on top except what appears to be a bit of green mold with a couple smaller than dime size myc spots. I lightly scraped the top layer off and it all crumbled away very easily. Under that layer is established very well as far as substance, I can tell it's one solid unit. There is still a dusting of the substrate it didn't like as I didn't want to scrape the top layer of myc.... I'll give it a day and see what happens. Thought about rinsing that top layer but worried about the water pushing some down around the liner and causing more problems.

You should have mixed the cakes with the coir and cased with the soil.

OfflineABD
Stranger
Re: next set of trays [Re: Mycolorado]
    #25029443 - 02/28/18 04:06 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Wasn't really "casing" as much as I was just using the coir/spent coffee ground substrate as just filling the tray to the top. Something I found online coir/spent coffee grounds as a substrate that I pasteurized. just trusted the out-grow substrate more than I trusted my own ability being as I'm a rookie.

No more coffee grounds.... on to coir/gypsum

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Interdimensional Bootcamp
Trusted Cultivator
    #25029456 - 02/28/18 04:12 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Gotcha, fair enough...I saw the word "soil" and thought something was amiss...yeah, toss the coffee and just use coir and maybe some verm.  Good luck on the next set!

OfflineABD
Stranger
Re: next set of trays [Re: Mycolorado]
    #25029638 - 02/28/18 05:46 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Thank you.... gonna do up three trays coir/gypsum tonight. Hopefully third time is the charm.

Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #25029655 - 02/28/18 05:54 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

:thumbup:

You only need about 3% by dry weight gypsum in the bulk.

You can just dump boiling water over it in a bucket. Coir doesn't have any beneficial microbes.      So pasteurization doesn't benefit a coir bulk sub.  Full or partial sterilization is fine. Bucket tek is partial sterilization if you use boiling water.

If you use coffee grinds. you need to sterilize or properly pasturize your bulk.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags