Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOogle44
Myco-oogs
 User Gallery
Loc: Northern Ireland Flag
Getting temps up for colonisation
    #25025329 - 02/27/18 01:36 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Hi, I live in the UK and at the minute we are having very cold weather. Trying to keep the temps up to what I need for a normal and speedy colonisation is proving incredibly difficult and astronomically expensive on my gas bill.

Wondering if anyone has ever used a heat lamp to help the process in a small confined space?Something like the below?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574691905&toolid=10001&campid=5335980952&customid=autolink&mpre=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322445722003

Trying to avoid using 1200w electric heaters which will also cause a horrific electric bill.

Any help much appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Getting temps up for colonisation [Re: Oogle44]
    #25025353 - 02/27/18 02:00 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

You only need to heat your space if your getting below 65f    otherwise your good.

72-75f is optimal

A heat lamp would probably work as long as you aren't heating up the jars past around 75.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

OfflineOogle44
Myco-oogs
 User Gallery
Re: Getting temps up for colonisation [Re: impatientguy]
    #25025370 - 02/27/18 02:31 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Trying to keep it at 65 is costing me a lot of money, I was hoping to use a heat lamp to get it to an optimal temp without costing me a fortune just!

Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #25025378 - 02/27/18 02:39 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

That's understandable.

72-75 Is what your shooting for.

Maybe someone who has done this will chime in:shrug:

Are they in your room?  They can be right on your dresser in your bedroom or something so its not such a struggle to get temps up.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

Edited by impatientguy (02/27/18 02:40 AM)

OfflineOogle44
Myco-oogs
 User Gallery
Re: Getting temps up for colonisation [Re: impatientguy]
    #25025385 - 02/27/18 02:49 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah man thanks for the input anyways! Yeah they are in my bedroom, but it’s just seriously cold at the minute, trying to get even 65 means having the heating on constantly or the temp just falls down. Nightmare!

OfflineSutty86
Brit
 User Gallery

#25025410 - 02/27/18 03:19 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I'm a northerner and have a normal built home, temps in my kitchen cupboards are 70-75 constantly....
You can always build a tit heater which I used in December until realising I got decent temps in cupboard.

--------------------
Looking for PENIS ENVY.
Have spores to trade:mushroom2:

OfflineOogle44
Myco-oogs
 User Gallery
Re: Getting temps up for colonisation [Re: Sutty86]
    #25025422 - 02/27/18 03:35 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Not saying you’re lying but your house must be different to mine somehow. I honestly have a hard time believing that I’ll get that temp in my kitchen cupboards, it’s literally freezing in there compared to my bedroom!  What’s a tit heater? I was considering just using that heat lamp in one of the cupboard space parts of my wardrobe and putting a thermo in it too to make sure it doesn’t get too warm?

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25025496 - 02/27/18 04:54 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Whatever you do do not put direct heat on them. I suggest instead of a lamp, getting a 30$-ish stand up oil heater meant for heating single rooms and keep them in the same room.

If you go the light route you're just gonna have to experiment with distances to make sure the heat isn't getting them too hot (contamination booms when temps go past 80 or so)

Edit: if they are in a small cabinet maybe point the light upwards away from them so it heats the cabinet but not the jars directly.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Edited by elasticaltiger (02/27/18 04:55 AM)

OfflineSutty86
Brit
 User Gallery

#25025504 - 02/27/18 05:14 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

i have the radaitors on in the morning to warm the house up and after im from work and i have a digital thermoeter which records the lowest and highest.

70f is 21c to be fair its not that warm ,
i made the mistake when first starting out worrying about temps and built a tit incubator (tub in tub)

use the search for more advice, but its basically two tubs the same and an aquarium heater in the first box with water and add the 2nd box which heats up

--------------------
Looking for PENIS ENVY.
Have spores to trade:mushroom2:

OfflineOogle44
Myco-oogs
 User Gallery
Re: Getting temps up for colonisation [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25025566 - 02/27/18 06:18 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

My wardrobe has a shelf at the bottom with a small cubby hole underneath it, my plan was to elevate the lamp above the shelf which will heat it up and in turn the shelf will heat the cubby hole beneath it where I have my pots. Does this sound ok? Like I said I’ll be keeping an eye on the temp to make sure it’s not too hot and I’ll be able to elevate the light up and down to create a good temp!

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25025660 - 02/27/18 07:40 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Oogle44 said:
My wardrobe has a shelf at the bottom with a small cubby hole underneath it, my plan was to elevate the lamp above the shelf which will heat it up and in turn the shelf will heat the cubby hole beneath it where I have my pots. Does this sound ok? Like I said I’ll be keeping an eye on the temp to make sure it’s not too hot and I’ll be able to elevate the light up and down to create a good temp!

This is fine but make sure the jars are not directly on the shelf. Elevate them a few inches with something or the bottoms will get too hot. You want the heat to come from the air in the cubby not transferred directly on the glass.

Remember that the myc generates heat so the temp inside the jars will be a few degrees higher than outside,

--------------------

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

Invisiblemary fairchild
Pantheist

Trusted Cultivator
    #25026097 - 02/27/18 11:17 AM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Another thought,
Because I often grow species that like it warmer than cubensis iv'e had a similar problem keeping the heat up, but maybe not to the degree that you do. I largely solved it with SEEDLING HEAT MATS.

I know these have had some bad press on this site but I use them in different configurations for plates, spawn jars (in styrofoam boxes) and arranged near my mini greenhouse to great success.

A ~50cmX50cm seedling heating mat uses 45 watts, most heat lamps range up from 100watts, my SMALL space heater uses 750 to 1500 watts, 
You may even be able to get by with smaller heating mats or possibly an electric blanket.

You'd have to have your grow material in a somewhat confined space and you would also have to work out the logistics of exactly where to place them so they aren't too close or to far.

Edited by mary fairchild (02/27/18 11:43 AM)

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting temps up for colonisation [Re: mary fairchild]
    #25026166 - 02/27/18 11:51 AM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Having them in an insulated container can help make use the heat the mycelium produces as it colonizes, and it requires no power.

--------------------

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting temps up for colonisation [Re: Kizzle]
    #25026283 - 02/27/18 12:56 PM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Kizzle said:
Having them in an insulated container can help make use the heat the mycelium produces as it colonizes, and it requires no power.

Fuck why didn't I think of that.

--------------------

OfflineSemenInnoculcation
Dr.Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#25026297 - 02/27/18 01:08 PM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Usually no need for heating unless it gets below 18c, I suggest oil heater over fan heater because fan heater heats up the room as fast as the heat dissipates

OfflineOogle44
Myco-oogs
 User Gallery
Re: Getting temps up for colonisation [Re: SemenInnoculcation]
    #25026329 - 02/27/18 01:27 PM (6 years, 30 days ago)

That heat lamp I have bought (in the link above) is only 60 watts so very cheap on the lecky!

That’s my wardrobe, as you can see the cubby hole where the towels are is where I plan to put the pots, and then suspend the heat lamp from the clothes rail above. The shelf will act as a barrier from the lamp to the pots meaning they won’t  get direct heat but yet will be heated by the warmth from the shelf. In my head this seems like a logical idea.

I was wondering if it would even work for fruiting if I was to put my SGFC in the bottom section and leave the wardrobe door open. I would just be worried about clean air flow.

OfflineOogle44
Myco-oogs
 User Gallery
    #25028118 - 02/28/18 07:32 AM (6 years, 30 days ago)

No one has any worries about the above then? Lol gonna give it a try tomorrow, I’ll let you know how I get on

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25028222 - 02/28/18 08:25 AM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Not the best place for an sgfc.  You can't put it in the open? Keep any eye on the jars and make sure their temp doesn't get too high.

--------------------

OfflineOogle44
Myco-oogs
 User Gallery
    #25028295 - 02/28/18 09:02 AM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Yeah I’m not sure about it either, was just wondering as it would be good to use the lamp to get the temps up again for fruiting. I can put it in the open, but again it’s all about temp control and trying to save as much money as I can on the heating bill!

OfflineOogle44
Myco-oogs
 User Gallery
    #25033363 - 03/02/18 11:06 AM (6 years, 27 days ago)

So I thought I’d come back and show you guys how I’ve solved my problem with some fairly common household items :smile:

As you can see the 60w heat lamp, (£10 off eBay), heats a sheet of tin foil underneath it which in turn lets heat rise off it up into the bottom space of my canvas shoe holder. Certainly getting the temps I need now at a fraction of the cost  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:

Edited by Oogle44 (03/02/18 11:28 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds