Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Can someone please tell me if this is mycelium!?!?
    #25024944 - 02/26/18 11:01 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Okay so i've posted a few times before, just asking questions and everyone has been so helpful.  Now is when i really need help identifying if this is in fact, mycelium.  In one of the jars, its starting to grow in the (supposedly) dry vermiculite layer, and in another, the inoculation point. When i inoculated, some of my jars contained too much dry vermiculite, and the spore solution soaked into alot of it.  The needle was not long enough. The second picture is hard to see in the photo, but it looks the same to me as the stuff in the dry vermiculite layer as the first. Its only been about a week, but I hope with everything this is mycelium! Here are the pictures, please post ASAP!

--------------------
Ὡς οὖν εἴπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Ἐγώ εἰμι, ἀπῆλθον εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω, καὶ ἔπεσον χαμαί.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedont trust midgets
your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

Re: Can someone please tell me if this is mycelium!?!? [Re: naturalistic123]
    #25024963 - 02/26/18 11:10 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Looks like it is possibly some early myc. Its hard to tell at first but if its myc you will know for sure in a day or two because it will spread rather quickly.

--------------------
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Re: Can someone please tell me if this is mycelium!?!? [Re: dont trust midgets]
    #25024971 - 02/26/18 11:12 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Now I can breathe.  Thank you kindly.

--------------------

your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25024983 - 02/26/18 11:16 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I sent you a new pm with some info I forgot to mention.

--------------------

InvisiblePsicomvb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25025040 - 02/26/18 11:47 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

It's honestly too hard to really tell right now..  Give it a few days and post the growth and it'll be easier to tell. To be honest I've had the most problems when the top of the cake begins colonizing first; my success rate when that happens is like 50/50, but thats just my experience and yours may be completely different. I'm def interested in seeing the progress in these, though..!

Edited by Psicomvb (02/26/18 11:58 PM)

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Re: Can someone please tell me if this is mycelium!?!? [Re: Psicomvb]
    #25025082 - 02/27/18 12:10 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I will certainly be posting new pictures and info on these cakes as the time goes by, for experiments sake and because its so exciting for a first grow.  I never really knew how exciting it would be to wait and watch for fungus growth.  I should also mention, these jars are located in a clear see through soon to be fruiting chamber, about five feet away from a 150w high pressure sodium grow lamp that is on 24/7.  Its not emitting light directly on it, so its kinda ambient lighting, but nonetheless still on 24/7.  I should also mention that these spots of possible mycelium are indeed located under the inoculation point.  Any thoughts or advice are always appreciated.  Thank you all for your help.

--------------------

your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25025108 - 02/27/18 12:29 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

You dont need a light on 24/7. Light is okay during colonization but you should give them some darkness as well. just let your jars on a shelf in a room with a light on during the day and turn it off when you go to bed so they are dark. Can't wait to see how this goes for you. Good luck! :smile:

--------------------

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25025157 - 02/27/18 01:06 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I've debated on making a new post for this new subject, but decided agaisnt it.  In the event this attempt does fail, I've got myself setup with all supplies needed for future attempts. These supplies include four new spore syringes of differing strains, on order now, listed as follows:

1)Albino a+
2)b+ (my current potential strain)
3)nepal
4)treasure coast

I will soon be purchasing quarter pint and half pint jars for the next attempt.  My questions are as follows:

1) Does anone have any experience with these specific strains? I've read that b+ is the most generally forgiving, although cultivation is mostly the same for other strains. 

2) Should i keep different batches of colonizing jars away from each other?  It seems like I would only need to keep differing batches away from each other, i.e. different sets that i've sterilized and inoculated at different times, in order to minimize contamination.  Is this correct?

3) what are everyones favorite strains, and why?  Could you guys please tell me a bit about what you each personally like the most?

Thank you all, I do humble myself and appreciate all of your knowledge and our conversations.

--------------------

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
    #25025206 - 02/27/18 01:42 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Wait a few more days and you'll know for sure. Also, stop handling your jars. Moving them around can disturb the dry verm layer causing it to fail

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25025503 - 02/27/18 07:12 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

You can keep jars with different strains together. Just make sure they are labeled. Psilocybe Cubensis strains are all pretty much the same so it doesn't really matter which you choose. :shrug: I personally like b+ just because I have had the most fun with them.

--------------------

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25027397 - 02/27/18 10:59 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I peeped another look at the jars.  Another spot has begun to form, looking like the rest.  I'm almost positive it is mycelium, I will post more pictures in a few days for a positive identification.  In two days I will be making lots more jars of different strains, and will post progress of those as well.  I've started thinking of trying a tray grow, where the substrate is in a tray, and the whole thing colonizes.  I'm not too sure what to do, but im leaning towards the standard pf tek method right now since its the most foolproof.  What do you guys think?  Anyway, here are some more pictures.  It hasn't grown too much, but there is a new spot, beneath another inoculation point.  Thank you all for reading and all of your help.  I greatly appreciate it!

P.S. To the member who stated to stop disturbing the jars - Yes, I know I should, but its so hard not to look at them!  I am leaving them alone for awhile now.

--------------------

your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25027450 - 02/27/18 11:25 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Looks like myc. If you want to do a tray i would recommend a coir tek for beginners.

--------------------

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25032388 - 03/02/18 12:19 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

UPDATE:  Okay so yeah i guess I update like everyday here but its exciting!  Out of eight full pint jars, six are beggining mycelium colonization without a hitch.  The other two may just be hidden, as alot of the spore solution was soaked up by the dry verm layer.  There is alot of growth in the dry verm layer in two, hopefully the myc will reach down into the substrate.  Some of the photos are hard to see, but the myc is def there.  I wont post anything more until its either fully colonized or possibly contaminated. Thanks to everyone here who has helped so far, especially dont trust midgets!  Here are some new pictures:

And lastly, here are eight freshly sterilized and inoculated half pint jars (Malabar Coast!)

--------------------

your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25032975 - 03/02/18 10:12 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

You are welcome haha! Looks business as usual in my opinion. keep us posted if you run into any problems/questions, good luck!

--------------------

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25057290 - 03/11/18 11:45 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Hey everyone.  I hope everyone is well and content.  I'm excited to share a few new pics of my full pint jars colonizing, and see what you guys think.

I've learned from a few of you that these bigger, full pint jar modifications of the standard pf tek (which calls for 1/2 pint jars) are prone to stalling.  After some researching, it seems this is due to the substrate drying out.  I'm not sure if these pictures are detailed enough for any kind of diagnosis, or even if one can be made.  I'm just wondering if you guys foresee these stalling out.  The substrate condensates heavily in the areas where the myc is, which I would think would be a good thing (meaning the mycelium is getting enough energy and liquid from the substrate to actually condensate and breathe).  This is just my own intuition, and i'm hoping others can give me a little more detail for future colonizations.  I have micropore tape over the holes on only one of the jars (the one where the two inoc. point myc meets, also the strongest looking of them all).  Is there anyone here who recommends leaving the micropore on the holes, specifically to the full pint jars? (perhaps retaining a bit more moisture, since these are prone to stalling?) 

All feedback is greatly appreciated, there is so much to learn :utterconfusion:

--------------------

OfflineUnsungHero
Endure & Persist

Loc: root@remotehost
    #25057297 - 03/11/18 11:51 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Looks good man just keep waiting. Patience is key :rockon:

Micropore tape isn't really needed if you've got a dry verm layer, as that acts as the contam filter.
Since you already added it, I don't see what taking it off will accomplish though.

If you are concerned they have stalled, you can trace around the edges of the mycelium with a black marker, to give you an idea if it's still colonizing or not.

I'd say those jars still got a few weeks to go at least.

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Re: Can someone please tell me if this is mycelium!?!? [Re: UnsungHero]
    #25057327 - 03/12/18 12:09 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Yeaaaaahhh...a few weeks at least. zzzz....

Well, in the meanwhile, ive got a bunch of the true pf tek half pints colonizing in the other room.  Ill add pics of those soon.  I can't go in there right now though because ivegot some hydroponic morning glories that i'm trying to flower now and they pretty much need 12 hours of complete darkness a day, and its that time right now.  Anyway, after chasing that rabbit...

Thank you for the speedy reply and help.  I'm happy to ear you think they look fine.  Really hoping they don't stall out!

My question with the tape is that I wonder if putting the micropore tape on bigger pf jars would help keep them a little more moist to keep the substrate from drying out, thus helping to keep them from stalling.  Any thoughts on this?

--------------------

your HIGHness
I'm a teapot

#25057796 - 03/12/18 09:03 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

looks good. If your pints stall you can try flipping them upside down. Sometimes the sub gets too compressed toward the bottom under its own weight. You might even be able to spawn it to something else or brush off the un-colonized parts and fruit in a sgfc depending on how far along it is.

--------------------

Offlineoldhippytrips
Overmedicated
Male User Gallery

#25057962 - 03/12/18 11:26 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Mycelium can sometimes be blue or even pink depending on the variety of shroom you are growing. The colors to look out for as far as I know are yellow or black.

--------------------
"Does this rag smell funny?"

InvisibleRRedBBeard
SE Connecticut
Male
Loc: SE CT
    #25737504 - 01/11/19 07:23 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

How did you finally do with this grow?

--------------------
The only difference between a rut and
a grave is the depth of the hole.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started