Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: flyhighfunguy]
    #25623406 - 11/18/18 02:42 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

i changed my account settings and it's working now. you're a pretty smooth operator my friend. super nice sterile tek in my opinion.
    do you think changing the settings like you said puts me at risk in any way?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #25623482 - 11/18/18 03:19 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Apc123 said:
I love the slant tubes your using do u remember where u got them.

They're 50ml centrifuge tubes by Karter Scientific. You can buy them here or get the conical bottom version for a few dollars cheaper. I prefer the flat bottom for easier maneuverability as you can stand them up. But you can use a rack or jimmy something together to deal with conical bottoms.

Quote:

flyhighfunguy said:
Sweet, quoting your post and copying the link worked.
Do you only use one scalpel per slant? Or do you flame it and use it for multiple?

I do, yes, but I'm sure you'd be fine with flaming the blade and using again. I'm sure the majority of folks slant shit with their regular old scalpels without issue. It's just an extra precaution I take because a slant is long-term and I'd rather not take any chances. It's no trouble to sterilize 12 at once and keep them on hand for whenever. I use an oil lamp so it takes a good 10 seconds for a cold blade to get red hot. If I flamed the handle, it'd take much longer. And back when I used X-actos, their handles got ultra hot just from flaming the blade.

It's also worth pointing out that you don't have to reach deep into the slant to stick your wedge. I just prefer to. Since you tilt slants to solidify the agar at an angle, it often reaches near the top of the cap. You can simply offload your wedge at this point, cap it, and knock the wedge down with a flick. This way, only the part you flame sterilized goes above the agar. I actually filmed this process for folks in my initial SAB session, but my hair was blocking all the transfers so I deleted it. :frown:

Anyway, the reason I prefer reaching deep with a single slice this is because visibility in my slants isn't very clear. By sticking at the top and knocking down, the myc will often grow at multiple points. With poor visibility, it's tough for me to differentiate clean mushroom myc from mold or something. I'd rather know if something is growing above the inoculation point, I probably fucked up. Again, just a personal extra precaution I use for more "important" stuff like LI's and slants only.

For sterilizing, I put X-acto blades in this glass culture tube within a regular mouth Mason jar. I bought them initially for slants, but the mouth is definitely too small to use without hassle. Fortunately, I realized if I lower the blade on an X-acto, they fit perfectly and I can sterilize a batch of blades and keep them on hand for whatever.

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
i changed my account settings and it's working now. you're a pretty smooth operator my friend. super nice sterile tek in my opinion.

Thanks a lot for the compliment, verum. You're someone who's cultivation skills I respect highly, especially your agar work, so that means a lot coming from you. Regarding risk, I doubt it makes you that much more vulnerable, but I am nowhere near well-versed in net security. Besides, you view every other internet site without these proxy settings, don't you?

From what little I know, it's very unlikely, but not impossible, for people to load malware/dirty code in images. It's not super common because it's inefficient. And even if you download an image with code loaded into it, it's only used as a reference for the executable file. So code within an image is harmless unless you download and run the .exe it correlates to. Edit: This line kind of implies you'd have to also download some totally-not-malware.exe to execute hidden code within an image, which apparently isn't correct. While I do believe some program is needed to run the code, it  doesn't have to be new/distributed by the hacker. Research shows they've used embedded code in images that are executed unknowingly by common programs that open them or other known programs like Word. Even if the image itself could do damage, I don't think the proxy URL changes anything as your browser still downloads it all the same. I do know Flash has/had many security vulnerabilities. Given it's deprecated and HTML5 has replaced it, you can/should delete Flash from your computer anyway. It's unlikely to change your browsing experience. But again, I'm no security expert. You can always change the settings back now and just check the direct links whenever. Interesting shit. Sorry for the tangent. I just researched a bunch and it's fascinating. Thought I'd share since I never considered this before.

Also, does this embed properly for you (with the proxy settings enabled):

I used a different host. The quality is worse than the webm file they provide, but Shroomery won't embed those.

Edited by stareatclouds (11/18/18 03:55 PM)

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: stareatclouds]
    #25623514 - 11/18/18 03:32 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

well then, compliments all around. thanks my friend. and yes, i can see the video

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #25623529 - 11/18/18 03:40 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

for the record, i use one scalpel for multiple slants. i'm just extra careful to keep it clean. i like to pc it before slant work but sometimes just flame the whole thing with my torch before the session and then flame the blade and upper half of the handle (part that goes into the slant) between tubes. i don't bother to red hot the top of the handle between tubes though. i red hot the blade and give the handle a semi quick pass through the torch. other wise it takes forever to cool and i figure that torch takes care of business pretty swiftly.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #25623561 - 11/18/18 03:57 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

It's unlikely I'd do more than that if I used a torch. My lamp is slow and I want minimal time outside the SAB. And then I realized my blades fit perfectly in my old glass slants that were collecting dust.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: stareatclouds]
    #25623713 - 11/18/18 05:17 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
Quote:

Apc123 said:
I love the slant tubes your using do u remember where u got them.

They're 50ml centrifuge tubes by Karter Scientific. You can buy them here or get the conical bottom version for a few dollars cheaper. I prefer the flat bottom for easier maneuverability as you can stand them up. But you can use a rack or jimmy something together to deal with conical bottoms.

Quote:

flyhighfunguy said:
Sweet, quoting your post and copying the link worked.
Do you only use one scalpel per slant? Or do you flame it and use it for multiple?

I do, yes, but I'm sure you'd be fine with flaming the blade and using again. I'm sure the majority of folks slant shit with their regular old scalpels without issue. It's just an extra precaution I take because a slant is long-term and I'd rather not take any chances. It's no trouble to sterilize 12 at once and keep them on hand for whenever. I use an oil lamp so it takes a good 10 seconds for a cold blade to get red hot. If I flamed the handle, it'd take much longer. And back when I used X-actos, their handles got ultra hot just from flaming the blade.

It's also worth pointing out that you don't have to reach deep into the slant to stick your wedge. I just prefer to. Since you tilt slants to solidify the agar at an angle, it often reaches near the top of the cap. You can simply offload your wedge at this point, cap it, and knock the wedge down with a flick. This way, only the part you flame sterilized goes above the agar. I actually filmed this process for folks in my initial SAB session, but my hair was blocking all the transfers so I deleted it. :frown:

Anyway, the reason I prefer reaching deep with a single slice this is because visibility in my slants isn't very clear. By sticking at the top and knocking down, the myc will often grow at multiple points. With poor visibility, it's tough for me to differentiate clean mushroom myc from mold or something. I'd rather know if something is growing above the inoculation point, I probably fucked up. Again, just a personal extra precaution I use for more "important" stuff like LI's and slants only.

For sterilizing, I put X-acto blades in this glass culture tube within a regular mouth Mason jar. I bought them initially for slants, but the mouth is definitely too small to use without hassle. Fortunately, I realized if I lower the blade on an X-acto, they fit perfectly and I can sterilize a batch of blades and keep them on hand for whatever.

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:

Thanks a lot for the compliment, verum. You're someone who's cultivation skills I respect highly, especially your agar work, so that means a lot coming from you. Regarding risk, I doubt it makes you that much more vulnerable, but I am nowhere near well-versed in net security. Besides, you view every other internet site without these proxy settings, don't you?

From what little I know, it's very unlikely, but not impossible, for people to load malware/dirty code in images. It's not super common because it's inefficient. And even if you download an image with code loaded into it, it's only used as a reference for the executable file. So code within an image is harmless unless you download and run the .exe it correlates to. Edit: This line kind of implies you'd have to also download some totally-not-malware.exe to execute hidden code within an image, which apparently isn't correct. While I do believe some program is needed to run the code, it  doesn't have to be new/distributed by the hacker. Research shows they've used embedded code in images that are executed unknowingly by common programs that open them or other known programs like Word. Even if the image itself could do damage, I don't think the proxy URL changes anything as your browser still downloads it all the same. I do know Flash has/had many security vulnerabilities. Given it's deprecated and HTML5 has replaced it, you can/should delete Flash from your computer anyway. It's unlikely to change your browsing experience. But again, I'm no security expert. You can always change the settings back now and just check the direct links whenever. Interesting shit. Sorry for the tangent. I just researched a bunch and it's fascinating. Thought I'd share since I never considered this before.

Also, does this embed properly for you (with the proxy settings enabled):

I used a different host. The quality is worse than the webm file they provide, but Shroomery won't embed those.

Alright I'll probably do the same thing. It definitely doesn't hurt to be as safe as possible. I really appreciate the video, this'll be a lot of help.

For a future request, I think a video of taking a transfer out of a slant would be very helpful as well :cheers:

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: flyhighfunguy]
    #25623750 - 11/18/18 05:30 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

That's on the agenda. Although you can just play the video in reverse. :smile:

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25625609 - 11/19/18 03:26 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
That's on the agenda. Although you can just play the video in reverse. :smile:

Lol thats true :lol:
I just ordered some of those flat bottom centrifuge tubes you linked to. Is there a specific amount of turns that you loosen the cap during sterilization/colonization/storage?

Also, is there something you recommend buying to put the slants on while they solidify? So far ive used a cutting board with jar lids to raise it up, however the slants roll around on it and it was super difficult to get the proper angle.

Edited by flyhighfunguy (11/19/18 03:28 PM)

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: flyhighfunguy] * 1
    #25625820 - 11/19/18 05:05 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

For sterilization, I leave it pretty loose. Probably get it unscrewed enough to where it's not tight at all, but if you lift up, it still picks up the tube. Go there and tighten it maybe a slit bit more. A few of mine have caved in during the PC run, but whatever. For colonization, I go have it completely unscrewed and resting on the threading. Then I parafilm it.  For storage, I do the same, but others swear by tightening it. To be honest, I'm not super experienced with slants. verum is so maybe he'll share his secrets. Or maybe he'll TAKE THEM TO HIS GRAVE.

You can buy a rack specifically for culture tubes. I'm sure Amazon would have one. Just search around for one with slots the diameter of the tubes you bought.

I've solidified them a few ways. One is to put the quart jars carrying the slants in your SAB. Carefully remove each slant and tighten the lid. Once all are tightened, I just leaned them against something flat and tilted it against the back wall of the SAB. I think I used a wire baking rack.

Another decent way I use is to line them one-by-one in a 6 quart shoebox tote, snap the lid on, and just tilt that against something. With my initial glass tubes, I bought a rack for them. After tightening the lids in the SAB, I tied string to the rack and looped it out the armholes to tilt it.

Just find some way to lean them against something creating the angle you want. :smile:

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
    #25625928 - 11/19/18 05:50 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Damn stare, you kinda have me motivated to get some slants going. I've been so lazy, I've
just been keeping all my cultures on triple wrapped plates in an insulated lunch box in the
fridge. I have to take transfers every 3-4 months ago and it sucks. I need to get my
long term storage game on point.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: Asura]
    #25626124 - 11/19/18 07:04 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Get it, brah. It's really no different than working with plates. Once I get a freezerless mini fridge, I'll be slanting everything.

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25626202 - 11/19/18 07:42 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

i'll drink to a freezerless mini. fuck the freezer. anyway.

i do all my sterile work on a freezer organizing shelf from wally world. let's see if i can find a photo.

that picture doesn't show it too well but it's got parallel bars spaced at about a half inch. they hold the tubes nicely and keep them from rolling. then i just use whatever to establish the angle. a couple petris, a stack of coins, the edge of my hood, the presto weight... whatever is clever at the moment.

i actually have a few different types of tubes and different ways of holding them but the falcon centrifuge tubes are the best for the price in my opinion

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #25626308 - 11/19/18 08:46 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Man, that flow hood is fucking badass. Shit's huge. If I had sterile air I'd cop those falcons and lay 'em down, too. But it's just me and my Sterilite out here, going against the world. Call me crazy, but I like a little balance.

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25626371 - 11/19/18 09:09 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

comes in handy when the whole world is burning around you and the air quality is designated hazardous. i've been running that thing for days just to keep the house air live able. northern cali is a mess right now

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #25626484 - 11/19/18 10:37 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Those fires are shitty man. :frown:

OfflineRomeoPapa
Jackass of All Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: In the middle
    #25626586 - 11/20/18 12:22 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

For sure shitty. I couldn't imagine being in the middle of that big ass forest fire with nowhere to run.

How long do those high dollar hepas last before they are clogged up? Are they made to be washed out and reused?

--------------------
It's better to have it and not need it
Than it is to need it and not have it.

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: aussie
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: RomeoPapa]
    #26015498 - 05/27/19 05:11 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

How do you guys store your slants after colonisation?

I find that mycelium (at least from oysters) continues to colonise the agar when stored at 4oC.

Anyone freeze or deep freeze? What about using mineral oil or a cryprotectant (if frozen)?

Also forgive my ignorance but what are the craft sticks for??

Offlinelilwoman
Stranger
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: hamloaf]
    #26118000 - 07/19/19 01:41 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

:takingnotes:

OfflineHillionaire
Stranger

Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: hamloaf]
    #26391619 - 12/19/19 10:05 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

This is great, I can't wait to start using this with liquid culture.

OfflineHillionaire
Stranger

Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: Hillionaire]
    #26438564 - 01/17/20 01:05 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

This is a great write up.  Thanks!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale