Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Malt Extract, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFoley709
Stranger

Contamination on Armillaria ostoyae malt extract agar + yeast cultures??
    #25005826 - 02/19/18 04:27 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys and gals!!

I'm currently growing out some armillaria ostoyae on MEA+yeast. I know armillaria mycelium and rhizomorphs grow quite fast and in an off brown/reddish color, These photos are of the petri dishes after 4 days after inoculation with a piece of wild collected rhizomorph. I'm thinking this is mostly mycelium but the fine whispy white hair growth on some dishes has me worried! I did some transfers from these today to hopefully isolate the mycelium. What are your thoughts?? Are the dark colored spots mycelium or contamination?
Thanks!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledmnats
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: the toilet
Re: Contamination on Armillaria ostoyae malt extract agar + yeast cultures?? [Re: Foley709]
    #25006653 - 02/19/18 10:45 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Armillaria gallica on agar post

looks like you have Aspergillus fumigatus - its a mold aka contamination
Aspergillus fumigatus on agar

you need to start over sorry! but cool project, whered ya find it?

But, in mycology, less is better.

You'd be surprised how little live mycelium you need to create hundreds of plates

Next time, use a very, very small speck from the inside of the stem of the mushroom (or cap, but the stem is easier for me, it peels like a cheese stick)

Edited by dmnats (02/19/18 10:52 PM)

OfflineFoley709
Stranger

Re: Contamination on Armillaria ostoyae malt extract agar + yeast cultures?? [Re: dmnats]
    #25007980 - 02/20/18 02:36 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the quick reply!
I sourced the rhizomorphs in Newfoundland, Canada from a balsam fir stump which had some peeled bark showing the "shoe laces"
I also have access to a spore print from the mushroom so i will retry using a spore syringe!! I attempted dragging an inoculating loop over the spore print and then onto the media, but has been incubating at 25 degrees now for 6 days with no growth (or contamination).

I will keep you posted!

Invisibledmnats
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: the toilet
Re: Contamination on Armillaria ostoyae malt extract agar + yeast cultures?? [Re: Foley709]
    #25008161 - 02/20/18 03:43 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Sweet! Good luck

Newfoundland - i love that name

--------------------
the potential for discovery through transgression

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Malt Extract, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation