Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Growing Baobab
    #24422759 - 06/21/17 03:48 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys :laugh:

Not sure if you prefer dealing with questions in separate threads or if there could be a central thread on various plants like these, but I'm interested in general discussion on growing baobabs!

I grow one from a seedling, indoors under HID (just 150w though) and as indirectly under that light as possible so as to avoid spotty chlorosis sort of issues - if that's correct. It actually grew a healthy 'canopy' of leaves just fine under a quite weak LED panel last year, but as others have pointed out growth is slow (apart from the growth when coming out of dormancy).

Since I somewhat mistakenly use white & blue LED, this produces more stocky growth with big green leaves and short thick stems on many plants. That's why it looked quite good, but I don't think overall the growth rate could be as good as using HID like now.

Some people grow these out of seed and many try to bonsai them. I have to keep all those plants at limited height anyway so am forced to bonsai everything that would otherwise grow high.

It's still a bit of a puzzle to me how to focus energy into that trunk, and am not sure if there is anything you can do to encourage caudex swelling.

Also is there a way to get a plant to produce new growth / buds / branching just anywhere lower on the stem / branches? To get a lot of forked branching, would I be forced to prune back and otherwise force it to fork where I pruned back? Or can you for example make a nick and apply something like 6-BAP or are there any other ways? With slow growth it seems like a waste to prune back.
I topped though, but will have to see if I even get more than one bud there to branch..

I guess initially you have to just let it grow a bit before you can start forcing to do much of for bonsaiing pruning back roots (even taproot?) after the season is considered smart but others said on the shroomery that it needs a rich rooting system to get bigger. A bit confusing...

Last year:

This year:

Please share pics and experiences of your baobab growing, especially interested in people who understand how to best get young plants to maturity and how to focus energy into the caudiciform stem!

Edited by Solipsis (06/21/17 03:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Growing Baobab [Re: Solipsis]
    #24422789 - 06/21/17 04:16 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I don't have much experience personally but here is the baobab my mother grew from seed she brought back from madagascar, It's about 2m tall.

It was broken in half by accident a few years ago when it was about the size of yours, and I think that's when it branched out. so I think pruning would be a good strategy. I can't say for sure though because my mom refuses to top any of her plant.

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Growing Baobab [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25002967 - 02/18/18 07:06 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

It's been a long time :smile:

What kind of baobab might that be ^  there is about 6 or so Adansonia sp. from there..

Posting because I see some chlorosis on my plant, although it is as vigorous as it's ever been. How does one approach treating this?
There is also some stunted growth in some leaves / deforming.

It hasn't defoliated yet which seems very late seasonally (I am not sure if it is right/necessary to induce a deciduous stage, of course if it is not necessary I don't want it to go dormant as I grow indoors under mostly regular conditions), I also read it should not be fertilized much with nitrogen so am doubting it is deficient...

Unfortunately I haven't kept good track of what / when I have given the plant but this is probably because I give it so little as seems meant.

I removed the reflector from my LED COB making the light a bit more diffuse and I try to bonsai train the plant.. it seems generally healthy and happy afaik, especially considering the circumstances.

Apart from patience the strategy for caudex swelling is a bit unclear to me... is there a way to simulate natural conditions related to or inducing 'bottling'?

Any baobab growers who care to share their experience? :smile:

I also don't know if A. Digitata is an 'ideal' Adansonia species for the classic grow or A. Grandidieri would be considerably better?

Edited by Solipsis (02/18/18 07:13 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck