Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheBlackCat
Possibly Human
Female User Gallery

Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing?
    #25002488 - 02/17/18 11:43 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

So this particular mushroom from what I can see requires a ripening phase.  have never grown anything hat needs a ripening phase. What exactly does that mean. Here are the instructions I am using.

Does anyone have any tips for this species?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheBlackCat
Possibly Human
Female User Gallery

Re: Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing? [Re: TheBlackCat]
    #25006055 - 02/19/18 03:44 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

It might help if I actually post the instructions I'm using. D'oh.
http://www.mycelia.be/en/strain-list/m-2670-pleurotus-nebrodensis

--------------------

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
Re: Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing? [Re: TheBlackCat]
    #25006362 - 02/19/18 06:12 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

:lol: I'm not sure how accurate that is considering they have the origin in Asia.
Nebrodensis grows in the wild in Italy and is endangered.
Basically I believe you can grow like kings. Ripening would be consolidation? They like high calcium and cold.
I bought a culture, not really sure what it is MyColorado fruited it.

--------------------

OfflineTheBlackCat
Possibly Human
Female User Gallery

Re: Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing? [Re: Quadman]
    #25006708 - 02/19/18 09:14 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I think that's just where this particular culture originated from not where the species is from originally. They are a professional spawn and cultivation laboratory.

--------------------

OfflineTheBlackCat
Possibly Human
Female User Gallery

#25006888 - 02/19/18 10:40 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Oh and I know. They are actually critically endangered which sucks. And yeah they do grow on limestone in nature. Not sure why they don't suggest that on that site. Maybe I could use the bone meal I saw at the local joblot in as a supplement. I only have hydrated lime. Could I use that with the bone meal maybe?

--------------------

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

#25006982 - 02/19/18 11:35 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Plain limestone or calcium carbonate(fine ground). Super cheap. Hydrated lime can be caustic.

--------------------

Edited by Quadman (02/19/18 11:37 PM)

OfflineTheBlackCat
Possibly Human
Female User Gallery

Re: Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing? [Re: Quadman]
    #25007032 - 02/20/18 12:11 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah. Hydrated lime is nasty stuff. Do you think the organic bone meal would be ok if I couldn't get a hold of anything else locally. I don't drive so it would be more expensive with Uber or shipping.

Plus I don't have room for large bags of supplements I don't use a lot.

--------------------

Edited by TheBlackCat (02/20/18 12:12 AM)

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

#25007359 - 02/20/18 07:17 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Bone meal doesn't break down very quickly. I'm not sure it would be much value to mushrooms. Adding it to compost is an option. It also contains large amounts of phosphorus ,which I'm not sure would be beneficial to mushrooms.

--------------------

OfflineSpindlymass
wafer thin.
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #25009461 - 02/20/18 10:09 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I was looking at the different cultures they sell and in their descriptions they mention ripening phases for them all

for example :

G. Lucidem = 30-50 days
H. Erinaceus = nil
P. Eringii = 35 days

you could extrapolate what "ripening" means by mushrooms you are more familiar with perhaps?

I'm not sure why the Erinaceus has no "ripening" or what the hell they're saying. It is in between inoculation and fruiting. In my little experience though you wouldn't let either mushroom above consolidate for 30+ days though. Would you?

One of the Shiitake is at 100 days "ripening" for crying out loud!

Could you contact them, considering you are a customer ?

--------------------
enough knowledge to get into trouble. Not nearly enough to get out again.

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Re: Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing? [Re: Spindlymass]
    #25009495 - 02/20/18 10:35 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Ripening is just another word for consolidation.
Just as incubation is colonizing.

So it takes a couple weeks to fully colonize/incubate a block then it needs to sit longer ripening/consolidating until it is time to fruit or force then fruit.

--------------------

OfflineSpindlymass
wafer thin.
 User Gallery

#25009523 - 02/20/18 10:55 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Sure, that makes sense.

I didn't think you needed to leave a reishi, for example, for 5 weeks to consolidate after it was at 100% and the lion's mane, with no suggested consolidation, in comparison threw me for a loop.

*sorry to take things off track a bit.

Now that I think of it, LM pins very readily. The zero consolidation time makes sense. Just a case of my inexperience getting the better of me.

--------------------

Edited by Spindlymass (02/20/18 10:59 PM)

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing? [Re: Spindlymass]
    #25010408 - 02/21/18 11:39 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I was thrown off by the ripening phase info on mycelia too and similarly confused when comparing the first time... :smile: but it's actually nice info to use their parameters (along with other info of course), and while you might be able to induce fruiting earlier with some species it is probably not ideal until some more substrate is consumed.

It is consolidation in a way, but to me they are not exactly the same but that is just my interpretation: the point of consolidation to me is rather a relatively short period where the mycelium gets stronger and heavier, something which also seems to apply to Cubensis and other sp. even though there isn't really ripening to speak of.
The ripening is a longer period and IMHO has more to do with the life cycle and the ideal moment of fruiting than just vigor.

I had never grown species before anyway where long ripening applies, so the surprise from mycelia is not that weird..

Got some shiitake blocks ripening for quite a while :laugh: but I do have some larger wood chips added in my substrate.

Reishi does apparently need to consolidate and the structure of the myc visibly changes. I took certain patches on the myc to be a sign that it was ready, I still may have been a little early (is my first Reishi grow) but all of my bags are fruiting happily now. Not like the bag completely filled with antlers I have seen from mycolorado and his work on growing this very culture but we'll get there.

OfflineSpindlymass
wafer thin.
 User Gallery

Re: Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing? [Re: Solipsis]
    #25011883 - 02/21/18 09:25 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks guys that makes a lot of sense. I was under the impression once the myc. Reaches 100% you fruit it.

Everyday I learn a bit more (like how to derail someone's thread :wink:) .

I love this stuff.

--------------------

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
    #25012441 - 02/22/18 04:49 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

You're not far off in the sense that after 100% colonization this *can* be a signal to the myc that it should start fruiting not that long after since it reached the limit of 'veg' growth.
Why for some species there is that delay I am not too sure whether it has to do with preparations for pinning (like changing the number of nuclei in cells for areas of pinning and organizing them so that part of the development is already being done and inflating the cells with water allows achievement of fast growth and development of fruits) and gathering resources that takes longer for them or a degree of impatience before sexual reproduction is used as a last resort?

I think you can just grow Nebrodensis as regular Eryngii, but maybe it benefits from something like a limestone or sandstone pH buffer in the substrate or in any casing if used (doesn't seem that appropriate).

Be very careful using stronger bases... a buffer is just meant to stabilize pH and should only change it a little from neutral.. with stronger bases it is much easier to actually shift the pH and you must correct / neutralize it yourself much more.

I'm super interested in Nebrodensis! I thought I had it but it turned out to be regular Eryngii.

GL

Offlineworowa
Professor
 User Gallery
Re: Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing? [Re: Solipsis]
    #25013344 - 02/22/18 01:57 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

They like hydrated lime and freezing cold. Wont fruit if not cold enough. Colonised bags can last 12 months or more waiting for the cold snap. Quite different to eryngii in taste, texture even firmer, fruits can grow huge, and last for weeks. Great to grow for winter, when there are almost no insects.

--------------------
We are all in this together.
Visit my site, forestfungi.com.au, let me know what you think.

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Re: Grow P. Nebrodensis - What is a ripening phase? Any tips on growing? [Re: worowa]
    #25013533 - 02/22/18 03:10 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Could you clarify on the hydrated lime? Builders lime( high mg) or horticultural lime?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate