Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Parafilm, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMoonMoonLeftShark
nerd
Male
Does this mycellium look ok to you?
    #24994832 - 02/14/18 09:57 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Hi all,

This is from a print I took from a flush last year and put on agar about 2 weeks ago.  I made a few transfers from it a couple of days ago in an SAB.  Today the mycelium looks more fuzzy and strange than it did when I took the transfers.  Maybe due to being a little too airtight with parafilm before opening for the transfers?  Maybe cobweb mold?

So far the transfers look fine, but I'm still very new to all of this, and only comparing to photos from this site.

So, does this mycelium look ok to you?  (This photo is taken inside an SAB with cleaned camera!)

MoonMoon

Edit to add pic of transfer.  Hard to get a shot through the petri lid, but it also looks very fuzzy, and the agar is weirdly brownish around the base of the source agar.  I've got a bad feeling about this.

Edited by MoonMoonLeftShark (02/14/18 10:19 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFeedYourMind
indiGlo
 User Gallery

Loc: That One Place
Re: Does this mycellium look ok to you? [Re: MoonMoonLeftShark]
    #24994886 - 02/14/18 10:20 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Looks contaminated.

You could still probably take some from the bottom right of the picture and transfer to a new plate.

OfflineMoonMoonLeftShark
nerd
Male
    #24994932 - 02/14/18 10:35 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I'm going to toss out that plate and hope that the transfers can still be cleaned.  Thanks for the reply.

MoonMoon

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24995037 - 02/14/18 11:14 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I would toss it.  Even if it is myc it doesn’t  look like something I would try to grow out.  If you still have the print then start over and hope for a better genetic pairing and no contamination.

CH

OfflineMoonMoonLeftShark
nerd
Male
Re: Does this mycellium look ok to you? [Re: CH HELL]
    #24995127 - 02/14/18 11:42 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I still have a few more prints to try from.  This was a first attempt, so I'll just try again.  Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

MoonMoon

InvisibleLemurLemur
Pray for Boog
 User Gallery

Loc: Drinking on the roof Flag
    #24995324 - 02/15/18 01:29 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Your taken xfers to deep, the very leading edge

--------------------
(when my data is fast play Lemur in chess at chess.com)[ [gradient:#D40B29,#18C418]Any1 expecting a trade from me i havent forgot about you pinky promise, i fr promise shits just shit rt now[/gradient]

Offlinepndmnm
Male User Gallery

Re: Does this mycellium look ok to you? [Re: CH HELL]
    #24995346 - 02/15/18 01:44 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

CH HELL said:
I would toss it.  Even if it is myc it doesn’t  look like something I would try to grow out.  If you still have the print then start over and hope for a better genetic pairing and no contamination.

CH

I'm curious to know what you mean by better genetic pairing and how you would distinguish this on a plate of agar. I've got several dishes laying around (maybe 50). Some with orinal MS swabbing, that look somewhat like the dish in question, others with perfect rings of growth (xfers), and others yet with some kind of mix between the two (other xfers).

--------------------
Glove box vs. Still Air Box (SAB)

Edited by pndmnm (02/15/18 01:44 AM)

OfflineMoonMoonLeftShark
nerd
Male
Re: Does this mycellium look ok to you? [Re: LemurLemur]
    #24997642 - 02/16/18 12:25 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LemurLemur said:

Thanks for saying this, or I would have cut it to the bottom again!  Makes sense to keep contaminants away.

Quote:

pndmnm said:
Quote:

CH HELL said:

CH

I'm curious to know what you mean by better genetic pairing and how you would distinguish this on a plate of agar. I've got several dishes laying around (maybe 50). Some with orinal MS swabbing, that look somewhat like the dish in question, others with perfect rings of growth (xfers), and others yet with some kind of mix between the two (other xfers).

The dish in my first pic looked a lot better on the day I took the transfers.  I'm also wondering what to look for in better/healthier growth when starting from MS on agar.

I'm also assuming that when starting from a multispore sample that came from my own grow that there WILL be bacteria.  Can I then assume that the brown tint at the bottom of the transfers in the new plates is bacteria spreading before the mycelium?  Thus why the cutting/sample should be as short as possible instead of cutting all the way to the bottom?  Maybe explains why the mycelium seems unhappy about spreading from the cutting onto the new (but brownish) PDA?  Does this also imply perhaps that the ratio of agar in the PDA (ie stiffness of the grow medium) plays a role in how fast bacteria can spread versus mycelium?  Should it be softer or stiffer to promote mycelium growth over bacteria?  Does this make sense or am I thinking about it the wrong way?  I feel like I'm rambling.  Thanks for listening.

MoonMoon

OfflineCybin_man
Circle the Wagons

Loc: In the bathroom
    #24997669 - 02/16/18 12:40 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MoonMoonLeftShark said:
Quote:

LemurLemur said:

Thanks for saying this, or I would have cut it to the bottom again!  Makes sense to keep contaminants away.
MoonMoon

I think he meant to take your transfer piece from the very outside edge of the growing mycelium, don’t take it from the middle of the growth. And yes, not cutting it all the way to the bottom will speed up the growth on your new plate, because it doesn’t have to finish growing through the chunk you cut. It can be a little tricky to cut a shallow piece, it is for me atleast, but I have minimal agar experience.

--------------------
mushrooms + my morning jacket = awesome https://youtu.be/xkY4isMi2Zc

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Parafilm, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation