Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Hydroponics Supplies, Salvia, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 671 | 672 | 673 | 674 | 675 | 676 | 677 | 678 | 679 | 680 | 681 | 682 | 683 | 684 | 685 | 686 | 687 | 688 | 689 | 690 | 691 | Next > | Last >
OfflineSolipsis
rooting for you
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Netherlands Flag
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Feroxx]
    #24991652 - 02/13/18 05:25 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

Holding out water on peres seems like a much better idea than grafting on uprooted or rootless peres. Uprooting can desiccate roots so you should expect to lose some, if you try to avoid that you probably defeat the purpose of uprooting.

Plants generally have a balance between roots and the above ground parts, so they will mostly invest energy in rooting if you take those away from them. So if anything, you should cut away a part of your rootstock so that it will invest energy rather than taking away roots.

I am not particularly savvy with peres and prefer other rootstock but in my experience if you stop watering them for long enough sap etc shouldn't be a problem, so if you have problems it may be other ones?

I guess 10 days sounds about right for rooting... I did a small trial with hydroponics and they do *really* well that way. I deprived the hydroponic ones of light because I needed to put a salvia in my shared humidity dome and they still look well.
It's really easy, with just a half strength 'regular' fertilizer solution and some air bubbling - without that you should refresh every week.

Anyway, what are your experiences with the hue of seedlings? I've had experience with quite red trichs that turned out alright and some lophs which I probably did not treat right and also wasted some on learning to graft.
I'll try to share a pic of my current loph seedlings, I think they look amazing!

--------------------
Trade List 

Edited by Solipsis (02/13/18 05:28 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 905 Flag
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Solipsis] * 1
    #24991660 - 02/13/18 05:29 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

My theory on pereskiopsis grafts is that it's good for the scion to be really well hydrated and the stock less so, so that the stock initially pulls a bit of water out of the scion, getting the flow primed and creating a bit of suction to help hold it on. Unrooted stock works well in my experience.

OfflineSolipsis
rooting for you
Male User Gallery

Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: psi]
    #24991746 - 02/13/18 06:12 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

Yeah I actually have that theory in my mind quite a lot and am trying to see whether I find that my experiences are consistent with that and so far they are. :smile:
Not quite sure whether there is any real capillary action that could be considered a sucking power but I'll settle for no overflowing power if you just withhold watering.
I'm sure that unrooted peres works well though with others it may really suck the scion dry. But also you have to consider the possible tradeoff of grafting success rate % vs. growth and strength afterwards. I personally haven't had a scion flowing off since I started taking care to stop watering properly so I'll take my chances with rooted stock.

I guess you are not the one who put the root in rootstock. :wink:

--------------------
Trade List 

InvisibleDualWieldRake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8b
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Solipsis]
    #24991763 - 02/13/18 06:21 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

Interesting theory, might do something.
Keep in mind though, before any transportational connection is made a layer of necrotic cells will form on both ends with callus behind it before the necrotic cells disolve and connective tissue forms to then attach IIRC (may take a week or more i'd guess)

Edited by DualWieldRake (02/13/18 06:21 PM)

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

#24991774 - 02/13/18 06:26 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Solipsis said:
I'm sure that unrooted peres works well though with others it may really suck the scion dry. But also you have to consider the possible tradeoff of grafting success rate % vs. growth and strength afterwards. I personally haven't had a scion flowing off since I started taking care to stop watering properly so I'll take my chances with rooted stock.

Yeah it definitely is not necessary to use unrooted stock just to prevent that problem. In some situations it can be convenient not to wait for stock to root first though.

OfflineSolipsis
rooting for you
Male User Gallery

Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: DualWieldRake]
    #24991785 - 02/13/18 06:30 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

Yeah good theory, osmotic pressure and everything...

Quote:

DualWieldRake said:
Keep in mind though, before any transportational connection is made a layer of necrotic cells will form on both ends with callus behind it before the necrotic cells disolve and connective tissue forms to then attach IIRC (may take a week or more i'd guess)

Fascinating, I guess it makes sense that it is traumatic. So maybe a week for fusion and half a week for PTSD.

--------------------
Trade List 

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

#24991807 - 02/13/18 06:40 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

DualWieldRake said:

I wonder if the necrotizing effect can be minimized depending on technique. Someone had the theory that with cut flowers, re-cutting the ends of the stems underwater can make the flowers last longer. So maybe if there is no exposure to dry air in the first place, fewer cells on the cut surface will die. Whether it's doing the grafts really fast, wetting the blade with sterile water, or performing the grafts in a high humidity environment.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Solipsis] * 2
    #24991815 - 02/13/18 06:44 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

I really want try grafting.

No strange looking seedlings to graft.

This one is pink, it´s probably going to change to ordinary green, or?

Closeup pink Loph seedling

I have seen similar seedlings that turned out ordinary green.
What you think, is it something i should try graft?

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

InvisibleJohnny Dont
desert dwelling mammal
 User Gallery

Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Mateo]
    #24991927 - 02/13/18 07:38 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

I'm sorry, I meant unrooted, but auto correct got the best of me. :rofl:

--------------------
The sensation of the vast desert still crawled under his skin and the sound of a murmuring brook still hummed in his ears. While he though to himself, "that perhaps it had all been a dream. Perhaps he himself was just an obscure character, a stranger, in someone else's dream."

OfflineWeAreMushroom
Cacti Spectator
Male

Loc: Frying Like An Eagle
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Johnny Dont] * 1
    #24992271 - 02/13/18 10:02 PM (9 months, 27 days ago)

As promised, here's a picture of my first successful graft.

It looks a little shiny and moist due to the antibacterial ointment on the tapered bits of the pachanoi, to prevent it from corking up and pushing the graft off.

Seems to be growing almost fast enough to watch.

It's almost doubled in size since I grafted it a week ago. 

My other two grafts, one a caespitosa, the other a normal willamsii, also appear to have taken well.

I'll post pictures of them too when I remove the nylon strips from the grafts in a few days.

Grafting cacti is awesome!

:raisemyglass:

OfflineSolipsis
rooting for you
Male User Gallery

Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: psi]
    #24993877 - 02/14/18 02:49 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

Quote:

psi said:
Quote:

DualWieldRake said:

I wonder if the necrotizing effect can be minimized depending on technique. Someone had the theory that with cut flowers, re-cutting the ends of the stems underwater can make the flowers last longer. So maybe if there is no exposure to dry air in the first place, fewer cells on the cut surface will die. Whether it's doing the grafts really fast, wetting the blade with sterile water, or performing the grafts in a high humidity environment.

Yes, by cutting off a sliver of the rootstock after you tapered it, and placing it back immediately to prevent it from drying out while you prepare the scion.

I do sanitize my knife with alcohol which rapidly evaporates.

Performing the grafts in high humidity environment is probably desirable but I wouldn't exactly go out of my way to create such an environment if I don't have it.
With good technique it should be quick enough that the speed matters more than the humidity.

I imagine that failed grafts can involve improper connection or indeed just so much trauma that the scion is rejected before the aforementioned process can remedy it.
Obviously don't damage either of the tissues that are to be joined.

I do think these factors help determine the quality and success of the graft, but I also believe that the ones I lost were due to reasons which probably could not be fixed by reduction of necrosis.

--------------------
Trade List 

InvisibleDualWieldRake
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24993948 - 02/14/18 03:24 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

My advice is to sterilize well but keep seedling and blade dry on cutting not to dilute the juices, as they contain stuff responsible for attachment.

As long as properly attached and sharply cut i'd say barriers are kept to a minimum and connection will eventually be able to form.
I've had some lophs (pups) still taking following slight reposition a week after the cut.

Some stalled grafts i had involved a bacterial infection, they were undoing the connection behind the scenes

Edited by DualWieldRake (02/14/18 03:24 PM)

InvisibleDualWieldRake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Mateo]
    #24993962 - 02/14/18 03:32 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Mateo said:
I really want try grafting.

No strange looking seedlings to graft.

This one is pink, it´s probably going to change to ordinary green, or?

Closeup pink Loph seedling

I have seen similar seedlings that turned out ordinary green.
What you think, is it something i should try graft?

My whitest seedling turned out green but a different shade than my other lophs

Edited by DualWieldRake (02/14/18 03:33 PM)

InvisibleDualWieldRake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: WeAreMushroom]
    #24993969 - 02/14/18 03:37 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

Quote:

WeAreMushroom said:
As promised, here's a picture of my first successful graft.

It looks a little shiny and moist due to the antibacterial ointment on the tapered bits of the pachanoi, to prevent it from corking up and pushing the graft off.

Seems to be growing almost fast enough to watch.

It's almost doubled in size since I grafted it a week ago. 

My other two grafts, one a caespitosa, the other a normal willamsii, also appear to have taken well.

I'll post pictures of them too when I remove the nylon strips from the grafts in a few days.

Grafting cacti is awesome!

:raisemyglass:

Congrats m8, looking good :excited:

OfflineWeAreMushroom
Cacti Spectator
Male

Loc: Frying Like An Eagle
    #24994021 - 02/14/18 03:59 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

:sad: I knocked it off by accident today so I'm back to square one, unfortunately.

Took beheading 2 caespitosas before I had a satisfactory re-graft in place, so I'm pretty bummed. At least it's got a caespitosa grafted to it now instead of just a regular lw so I can bank on more pups.

At least I can tell through the nylon in my other two grafts that they've taken alright, so that's some consolation.

I counted all my seedlings and have like 137 still, so I can't be THAT sad about losing some to grafting..

With 137 yearlings and 46 adults, that puts my total up to around 180.

:awedance:

That's really not too bad.

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Professional Stoner

Loc: Land of Rape and Honey Flag
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: WeAreMushroom]
    #24994042 - 02/14/18 04:12 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

MH! damn bro, i love the time lapse there. They are all looking great, esp that last photo! Those roots are blowed the fuck up :super: nice work man

--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

'Great Spirit, today, let me touch the Earth so the Earth can touch me.'

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

OfflineMicaele
Cannabis connoisseur
Male

Loc: Northern Europe
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Lipa Kreepa]
    #24994122 - 02/14/18 04:47 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

Got inspired by someone a few pages back yesterday and decided to do this graft

LW unknown var

I have no idea if this works, but I don't see why not. I'm guessing however that they're going to grow slower than if I had grafted one. I don't really mind though, I'm just trying to get the technique right. My first time grafting, about a month ago, I grafted about 10-12 LWs and only one has survived to this day. To my defense though, a cat ate one one week ago. So it should've been two successful grafts.

InvisibleFeroxx
EG (ethnobotanical gangster)
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Cruel sun
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Micaele]
    #24994139 - 02/14/18 04:53 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

personally i like more girth to graft, but that isnt impossible to make it though

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: Feroxx]
    #24994188 - 02/14/18 05:10 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

Nice work Micaele! It can work for sure, see this video the guy did the same thing with 3 seedlings: https://youtu.be/peX8TN3W3CM
This dude is really good at doing funky grafts, my personal favorite being this hilarious ariocarpus on pere impaled on tricho on selenicereus (!): https://youtu.be/PkFs48EEhlw

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleFeroxx
EG (ethnobotanical gangster)
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Cruel sun
Re: Lophophora Growers Unite! [Re: MeanGreen]
    #24994215 - 02/14/18 05:22 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

Most likely he posts/lurks here

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 671 | 672 | 673 | 674 | 675 | 676 | 677 | 678 | 679 | 680 | 681 | 682 | 683 | 684 | 685 | 686 | 687 | 688 | 689 | 690 | 691 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Hydroponics Supplies, Salvia, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden