Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Shroomymancer] * 1
    #24858125 - 12/20/17 02:42 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

oh right I forgot about that.

Tested it with a friends battery. This got it cranking but wouldn't start it.

On to replacing the battery terminals/cables, both of which had obvious corrosion/broken terminal. Not sure how replacing the cable works, what with it combining with other cables and splitting off and such.

Unsure how much fuel is in it though, and its been sitting so long I dont know if it'd collect water in there over time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #24858755 - 12/20/17 07:57 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Taking out dents seems easier than I'd expected. Plunger, hot water/blow dryer, vacuum cleaner attached to a bucket, wood pegs hot glued to the surface and pulled off. Got a couple big ones on various vehicles, gonna have to give it a crack.

Any particular method anybody would recommend?

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #24922086 - 01/17/18 10:15 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Question, my battery on my honda has gone bad but the nut on the terminal has been over-tightened so much that no tool can loosen it. I was at a loss for a day or two but then found some educational materials for firefighters stating that one could cut a live battery cable as long as they followed the "negative first" rule. Posting this both to inform others and double check that this is correct and I'm not going to hurt myself when I do it. :tongue: 

Truck is not as active as a project anymore obviously, got a new master cylinder in after the old one revealed itself to be bad, so thats all bled and finally in total working order. Got a new battery terminal on there, still procrastinating driving out to the county to the battery place :lol: The positive battery cable wasnt at all corroded like the neg was so good news there. (I assume there's no need to be fancy when attaching new terminal ends, there were multiple cable ends but I just stripped em both and mashed em together as one into the new terminal.)

Any day now I'll be posting I finally started her up :fingerscrossed:

InvisibleGrey Fox

#24922142 - 01/17/18 10:42 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

"The positive can only hurt you if the negative is connected" is what I always say when connecting/disconnecting the battery. Thats how someone explained it to me a long time ago and it has always been true in my experience.

WD40 does wonders on a locked up nut. Best luck.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Grey Fox] * 1
    #24922185 - 01/17/18 11:07 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

yeah i should give it another shot with.

although, if i remember right, I think I tightened it so much that the nut started to go inside the terminal body itself, so a wrench can't even get around it.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#24922433 - 01/18/18 06:06 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
although, if i remember right, I think I tightened it so much that the nut started to go inside the terminal body itself, so a wrench can't even get around it.

Damn. Well hopefully you can figure a way to get it off without having to cut the cable or clamp. Good luck.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

#24927162 - 01/20/18 01:18 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

dude, soak that shit with pb blaster overnight and re-try.

--------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: rackem] * 1
    #24927837 - 01/20/18 11:23 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

unless its going to get it loose enough to undo with my fingers i dont see it workin

OfflineUpSyndrome
Male

#24936463 - 01/23/18 03:03 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

You can cut the cables, negative first.  A dead car battery is less than 12v.  It will not hurt you.  As long as you don't short the terminals.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: UpSyndrome] * 1
    #24938557 - 01/24/18 11:45 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

well I cut it out and got a new one so my hondas back online. The guy I traded the old battery into had the stuck nut loose so quick it was a tad embarrassing/funny. got to keep the terminal at least :lol:

A new annoying problem I may have mentioned: I had purchased a new battery terminal for my truck. It doesn't fit around the battery post, barely too small, even though it claims to be a universal terminal. Trying to bend it now. Should I just buy a different brand of "universal" terminal and try that? Looks too burly to bend but I'm gonna try

OfflineUpSyndrome
Male

#24938767 - 01/24/18 01:23 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

If it's possible to bend it open just a bit and make it fit, that's what I would do.  If it's something similar to this, it's lead, and very easy to bend.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: UpSyndrome] * 1
    #24939907 - 01/24/18 10:05 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

thanks, I had given up but got it on the second try.

Somebody recommended pouring gas directly into the carb while trying to start it, gonna try that tomorrow.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#24989270 - 02/12/18 04:24 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

dang tie rod/steering arm thing keeps squealing. Doubtful that a failure would happen from lack of lubrication I'm thinking, but it worries me

InvisibleShroomymancer
Copy Cat
 User Gallery

#24989772 - 02/12/18 07:48 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
dang tie rod/steering arm thing keeps squealing. Doubtful that a failure would happen from lack of lubrication I'm thinking, but it worries me

Got a grease gun? They have little nipples on them to fill up the boot with grease.

--------------------
beep boop

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Shroomymancer] * 1
    #24990209 - 02/12/18 10:49 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I've a grease gun. I'm going to feel like a real yutz if I find a nipple on there for grease. Hope you're right. oh i guess i have the manual right here..

I'd only seen mention of grease fittings in truck manuals so assumed they wouldn't be on my car. Are they on all vehicles IYE?

If thats the case I've got multiple neighbors with a louder version of the same problem I might have to offer my services to. For the good of the complex :lol:, one of em routinely leaves for work in the early AM squealing away. Freakin rude to not fix it for so long.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #24990568 - 02/13/18 03:57 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:

My lower control arm was replaced just yesturday cause the ball joint was going bad. It makes a squeaky sound too.

I didnt DIY it thou, took it to a mechanic. And i should be ashamed of myself for it :nonono:

Didnt have the right tools for it thou :shrug:

Edited by LogicaL Chaos (02/13/18 06:24 AM)

InvisibleShroomymancer
Copy Cat
 User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #24990590 - 02/13/18 04:33 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Upper control arms ball joint has nipples too. Grease those puppies! mmm nipples :crazy2:

--------------------
beep boop

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

#24996047 - 02/15/18 09:20 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

not all vehicles have a grease zerk on them. older vehicles yes they typically can be greased to the hilt... newer cars are throw away parts and replace.

--------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #25002350 - 02/17/18 10:06 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

need something special for that LC?

Couldn't get the damn thing off to lube it. Just tiled it back and forth to work oil in as far under as I could get it. Seems like it should serve.

No nipples though. I do remember seeing a video where a guy used a syringe to get grease into non-servicable joints like that that are covered with rubber. Dunno if thats a no no, never looked into it

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niƱos
I'm a teapot

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Psilosopherr] * 2
    #25015656 - 02/23/18 10:31 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Injecting grease into the boots is not common or recommended but when u asked earlier if no lube would cause it to fail, no but accelerated wear leading to failure yes.

When you make 300k vehicles a year saving .25 per unit adds up. Technology had improved drastically, they say they don't build them like they used to anymore, and eith good reason. Used to be in the fifties if you hit something your car was fine even the bumper but you had broken bones. The Advent of crumple zones, having the engine break loose and drop down beneath you all these methods absorb energy. In the 21st century we flip sports cars 20 times into a mangled heap and walk away.

Did you know in the 1930s at 30k miles you had to come in and get your engine rebuilt? Main and rod bearings have come a long way, if I recall correctly bearings only had one or two layers no, compare that with four or five layers of copper, babbit, tin, nickel, what have you. More importantly, we have better engine designs, tighter tolerances, we can internally and externally balance the engines, they just don't damage themselves the way they used to.

With these improvements in technology come changes in the designs and working angles of our steering components, so that they take less load while working, have tighter tolerances and as such, wear less each time they move.

Sealed tie rod ends and ball joints typically last 150k now, some need replacing at 100k, some at 160k, all depends. Random rock that pops up and slices your boot, well now your grease leaks out and pressurized water squirts out of your rotating water pumps (that's what tires are) can squirt right in and rust the iron and cause putting and increase the gaps between the moving parts, increasing wear.

Most vehicles are wrecked or sold off by that point, and in their eyes that's plenty enough life for their concerns.

If I did a dry park check, where my helper rotates the steering wheel side to side quickly and I was beneath the vehicle cupping my hand around each steering component, if there is any play I would feel the joint pop back and forth as my helper turned the wheel. That would tell me it's wore out and in need of replacement. On my 03 f150 each tie rod end is 24.99 at O'Reilly or 4.99 online at Rock Auto. I have four. You can guess where I shopped.

If I felt no slop, but the boots were deflated, I would consider putting grease in with an injection. Why? You're already at acceptable mileage for failure. Any extra mileage you get is bonus. Running them dry is a guarantee of wearing metal to metal each turn. Leaving a tiny hole for grease to leak out takes time.

I just found this thread, im looking for camping and guitar stuff. But ive turned wrenches professionally for 15 years, even have a fancy plaque that days I used to be a master certified auto tech.

I'll gladly answer any questions yall have in more detail than y'all want.

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
26,856 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.