Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Loc: USA
Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous * 1
    #24984298 - 02/10/18 09:44 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-rank-recreational-drugs-based-on-how-dangerous-they-are?utm_content=buffer0c157&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The results are in.
DAVID NIELD 10 FEB 2018
A 2017 Global Drug Survey (GDS) covering hundreds of thousands of people around the world has ranked recreational drugs from the safest to the most dangerous, based on how many hospital admissions they lead to.

Turns out, 'magic' mushrooms are responsible for the lowest percentage of emergency ward visits, followed by cannabis in second place, and LSD and cocaine in joint third place.

At the other end of the chart, methamphetamine, synthetic cannabis, and alcohol carried the most risk of a trip to the local emergency ward, leaving MDMA (ecstasy) and amphetamines in the middle of the drug safety table.

The survey took in responses from 115,523 people across more than 50 countries. Nearly 10,000 participants said they had tried magic mushrooms in the past year, with 0.2 percent of those needing a trip to the hospital after their drug-induced trip.

That was the lowest percentage figure in the survey by some distance, but researchers are keen to point out that no drug use is entirely harmless - and there are plenty of other risks associated with drugs that don't necessarily land you in hospital.

"Combined use [of mushrooms] with alcohol and use within risky or unfamiliar settings increase the risks of harm," the founder of the Global Drug Survey, addiction psychiatrist Adam Winstock, told Olivia Solon at The Guardian.

According to Winstock, accidental injury, panic, short-lived confusion, disorientation, and fears of losing one's mind are the most common reasons that magic mushroom users head to the hospital.

In fact, the greatest risk with taking mushrooms is picking the wrong type and getting poisoned, Winstock added, saying if you're determined to take a trip, you should choose a safe place with people you trust, and mushrooms you know aren't harmful.

Overall, the hospital visit score card looks like this:

Mushrooms: 0.2%
Cannabis: 0.6%
LSD: 1.0%
Cocaine: 1.0%
Amphetamine: 1.1%
MDMA: 1.2%
Alcohol: 1.3%
Synthetic cannabis: 3.2%
Methamphetamine: 4.8%
Numbers were averaged out across genders, but in most cases, females were found to be at a greater risk.

Since 1999, the Global Drug Survey has been aiming to "make drug use safer regardless of the legal status", which means keeping drug users, healthcare professionals, and policy makers informed about the potential effects of these substances.

If you're going to take one of these drugs, it's vital that you know what you're letting yourself in for - there's no room for complacency, says the GDS team, even with relatively safe recreational drugs.

Being informed includes knowing how long the effects can last. LSD can affect the body for up to 12 hours, whereas cannabis effects will only last a couple of hours.

The authors behind the report don't condone the use of illegal drugs, but say they're hoping to raise awareness of the do's and don'ts for each type of substance, and cut those hospital admission numbers down.

"People don't tend to abuse psychedelics, they don't get dependent, they don't rot every organ from head to toe, and many would cite their impact upon their life as profound and positive," Winstock told The Guardian.

"But you need to know how to use them."

You can read a summary of the report on the Global Drug Survey website.

https://www.globaldrugsurvey.com/

--------------------

Kirk: What does God need with a starship?
McCoy: Jim, what are you doing?
Kirk: I'm asking a question.
"God": Who is this creature?
Kirk: Who am I? Don't you know? Aren't you God?
Sybok: He has his doubts.
"God": You doubt me?
Kirk: I seek proof.
McCoy: Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: Tiberjuggaligger]
    #24984333 - 02/10/18 10:00 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I wonder why the chart shows over 2x as many hospital visits for females involving meth :strokebeard:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: Tiberjuggaligger]
    #24984334 - 02/10/18 10:01 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

*scientists rank drugs by rate of emergency room visits*

was wondering that myself about the ladies

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #24984338 - 02/10/18 10:03 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
*scientists rank drugs by rate of emergency room visits*

was wondering that myself about the ladies

When I saw the huge spike I assumed it would be guys for some reason.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: musiclover420]
    #24984342 - 02/10/18 10:06 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

right, the whole men do riskier things idea.

I was wondering if these are date rape attempts or something of that nature, trying to get the girls more fucked up

InvisibleDrRedBush
I'm unpasteurized
Male User Gallery

Loc: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #24984370 - 02/10/18 10:20 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Just a thought but the standard ph of meth is different than a womans ph level maybe that has something to do with it. Honestly it could be all of the things mentioned so far.

Offlinetriphead9428
Stranger
Male
Loc: VA
Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: DrRedBush]
    #24984794 - 02/11/18 01:44 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I think ranking it by emergency visits is a really bad way of ranking the potential danger of each drug. LSD is absolutely nowhere near the level of danger that cocaine is, I imagine that there's just less hospital visits because, possibly the most famous effect of cocaine is overconfidence. LSD, on the other hand, makes its users more paranoid than usual. I think the increase in hospital visits from LSD vs magic mushrooms has more to do with the fact that its a lot more difficult to correctly dose with LSD than with shrooms. LSD trips are much more unpredictable as you don't know how strong your tabs are, and going from one tab to two tabs or to three tabs is a much bigger increase than going from 1 gram to 2 grams to 3 grams of shrooms. Another obvious flaw is putting MDMA as more dangerous than cocaine. That's completely ridiculous considering that ecstasy only causes like 5 or 6 deaths a year while cocaine causes thousands.

The danger of each drug should be measured instead by: Potential for an overdose (especially a fatal one), how addictive is it, and how likely is it to cause mental damage. In this case, I'd say psychedelics are a tiny bit more dangerous than weed just because a lot of people simply can't handle the intensity of a psychedelic trip and it really freaks them out. At the same time though, weed is much more addictive than psychedelics. Weed is much more forgiving of users who abuse it than psychedelics are though. Psychedelics will fucking kick your ass if you start to abuse them. So ultimately I'd say they're on very similar levels of danger potential, but in my personal opinion, I think weed is just a tiny bit safer.

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: musiclover420]
    #24985051 - 02/11/18 06:08 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
I wonder why the chart shows over 2x as many hospital visits for females involving meth :strokebeard:

The chart shows they lead for a number of drugs, not just meth, although the discrepancy there is higher.

By far, the most likely reason is the lower body mass of women when compared to their male counterparts.  They end up with more drug on a mg/kg basis than a man, and consequently more visits to the ER.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: triphead9428]
    #24985072 - 02/11/18 06:50 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

triphead9428 said:
I think ranking it by emergency visits is a really bad way of ranking the potential danger of each drug. LSD is absolutely nowhere near the level of danger that cocaine is, I imagine that there's just less hospital visits because, possibly the most famous effect of cocaine is overconfidence. LSD, on the other hand, makes its users more paranoid than usual. I think the increase in hospital visits from LSD vs magic mushrooms has more to do with the fact that its a lot more difficult to correctly dose with LSD than with shrooms. LSD trips are much more unpredictable as you don't know how strong your tabs are, and going from one tab to two tabs or to three tabs is a much bigger increase than going from 1 gram to 2 grams to 3 grams of shrooms. Another obvious flaw is putting MDMA as more dangerous than cocaine. That's completely ridiculous considering that ecstasy only causes like 5 or 6 deaths a year while cocaine causes thousands.

The danger of each drug should be measured instead by: Potential for an overdose (especially a fatal one), how addictive is it, and how likely is it to cause mental damage. In this case, I'd say psychedelics are a tiny bit more dangerous than weed just because a lot of people simply can't handle the intensity of a psychedelic trip and it really freaks them out. At the same time though, weed is much more addictive than psychedelics. Weed is much more forgiving of users who abuse it than psychedelics are though. Psychedelics will fucking kick your ass if you start to abuse them. So ultimately I'd say they're on very similar levels of danger potential, but in my personal opinion, I think weed is just a tiny bit safer.

Weed is a psychedelic though...

--------------------
Everything i say is completely hypothetical...

InvisibleCelestial Traveler
Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Idaho
    #24985406 - 02/11/18 10:38 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Some people on psychedelics probably go to the ER because they get really scared and think they're having an emergency when they might not be.  I'm not downplaying their emergencies but simply saying that the number of people with true drug-related emergencies may be less than those given numbers.

--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

OfflineFractalMind
Werewolf
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #24987210 - 02/11/18 06:04 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I think a lot of males in our society let women get away with things men wouldn't, and a lot of dads raise their daughters differently then their sons, and that leads women to believe they can in turn get away with doing more drugs. They have to learn the hard way that men and women are equal.

I blame the feminists. They are turning girls into entitled radicals

Edited by FractalMind (02/11/18 06:05 PM)

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: FractalMind]
    #24987249 - 02/11/18 06:27 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FractalMind said:
I think a lot of males in our society let women get away with things men wouldn't, and a lot of dads raise their daughters differently then their sons, and that leads women to believe they can in turn get away with doing more drugs. They have to learn the hard way that men and women are equal.

When it comes to metabolising drugs and alcohol, men and women are not equal.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: feevers]
    #24987264 - 02/11/18 06:33 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

feevers said:
Quote:

FractalMind said:

When it comes to metabolising drugs and alcohol, men and women are not equal.

Well even individual men or women aren't equal in many cases. I've known men and women who were serious alcoholics or junkies.

--------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: FractalMind]
    #24987372 - 02/11/18 07:40 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FractalMind said:

triggered

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#24988072 - 02/12/18 04:47 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

So many mdma emergencies. Thats gotta be a purity thing, though. If everyone just tested or used the same source everytime

Youd end up with the same mdma, no surprises. And it takes 20 doses (2g or so) at once to overdose, dont think anyone is doing that... but as long as ive seen people roll, there have always been the "12 rolls in one night" people. With rolls that were mostly mdma/mda, this just meant a hell of a next day. I think its a bit more dangerous when you translate that into a gram of crystal moonrocks. Though some of those "og" rolls had tons of meth too. What scares me is not the crystal yellowish molly, its the stuff that is just pure white, no crystals, just looks like powder. The last one i had like that happened to be nice (still not as potent as the moonrocks imo) but i am wary of anything like that these days. Luckily this one, a tiny speck turns marquis to the correct purple/black). Still that is from a few years back. These days i would say always test, or at very least use only what visually looks like molly. Not that crank-like consistency mdma. Which could be anything.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: Fractal420]
    #24988462 - 02/12/18 10:18 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

yeah my friends think they know molly ssso well (though they've never once used a test kit :rofl:) and I've foolishly trusted them a couple times, sitting there later on in the night like 'yeah this is not molly you silly ladies.'

Whatever gets them horny :lol:

Edited by Psilosopherr (02/12/18 10:19 AM)

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: Fractal420]
    #24989230 - 02/12/18 04:10 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Youd end up with the same mdma, no surprises. And it takes 20 doses (2g or so) at once to overdose, dont think anyone is doing that

The amount needed to OD can vary person to person believe it or not. And not all MDMA health issues stem from OD's. It's not uncommon for people to get so caught up in the stimulation they end up seriously dehydrated and or overheated from dancing. Then you have to consider a lot of MDMA going round isn't nearly 99% pure, and depending on the impurities there could be extra toxic effects.

Quote:

What scares me is not the crystal yellowish molly, its the stuff that is just pure white, no crystals

You should test everything as either of those could be meth or RC's unless you know exactly where they came from and trust the source :shrug:

Quote:

hese days i would say always test, or at very least use only what visually looks like molly. Not that crank-like consistency mdma. Which could be anything.

Wasn't "molly" used as a term for powdered "MDMA"? I've been wary of 90% of the stuff going around for ages.

--------------------

Offlinetriphead9428
Stranger
Male
Loc: VA
Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: Hobbyist]
    #24989947 - 02/12/18 08:56 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Hobbyist said:
Quote:

triphead9428 said:

Weed is a psychedelic though...

I know its technically a psychedelic but its not what most people think of if you use the term psychedelics. For the purposes of speaking to the general public, psychedelics just mean acid and shrooms. They don't really know about anything else.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Scientists Rank 9 Recreational Drugs From Safest to Most Dangerous [Re: triphead9428]
    #24990416 - 02/13/18 12:58 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Well yeah, of course test everything, but especially that white powdery shit

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

#24991693 - 02/13/18 03:44 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

triphead9428 said:

I know its technically a psychedelic but its not what most people think of if you use the term psychedelics. For the purposes of speaking to the general public, psychedelics just mean acid and shrooms. They don't really know about anything else.

I dunno about that. I've known quite a few people who have had full blown psychedelic experiences just smoking weed. Especially with it becoming more mainstream now and people having ready access to edibles just walking into a dispensary or rec store, more and more people acknowledge it as a psychedelic.

--------------------
Everything i say is completely hypothetical...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale