Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next > | Last >
OfflinePusynality
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Wildcat1883]
    #25671484 - 12/11/18 06:00 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the guide, I'm doing this tek but the bulk version (where transfer over to shoebox after) but had a few questions so I know for next time.
When transferring over to the shoebox, it says your suppose to do it before the consolidation period, what happens if you transferred them when they already had little pins coming out?
I guess I waited too long but didn't realize it since only about half the jar has consolidated (turned white) while other parts didnt change at all (so I guess I thought they were going to spread eventually but didnt). Also, what is typically the reason for that if they didnt fully spread throughout the jar so I know for next time?

I only had 6 half pint jars, so I used 1 brick of coir and split 3 jars/3jars of coir into 1 shoe box (and the same for the 2nd box). Was that okay or is it recommended to put it all in one shoebox next time?
(For reference here it is after one day transferring it to the shoebox)

also is that bag enough/too much for airflow you think?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGuy on a buffalo
Apprentice Cultivator

Loc: Ridin around through the ...
Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Pusynality]
    #25671818 - 12/11/18 10:32 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

You dont need to let them consolidate but if you do it doesnt matter...either way.

That's probably a bit too much airflow for initial colonization of the tubs.  Might result in drying out unless you keep on top of it but you dont want to be messing with them too much.  Most ppl running shoeboxes just put the lid on while it colonized and wait for knotting or pins before cracking or flipping lid to introduce additional air.

OfflineFrontiers
Stranger
Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker *DELETED* [Re: Guy on a buffalo]
    #25683285 - 12/16/18 05:05 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Decided to skip the SGFC and try the bag method with a couple brf jars that actually survived the Penicillium epidemic that took 5 of my 9 jars. They took forever to colonize due to poor temp management, and had a lot of myc piss once they finally did. I don't have super high hopes for these jars, so the minimal effort of this fruiting method seems like a better fit than messing with drilling out the SGFC and the mess of Perlite.

From all the myc piss I saw, I think they are probably rather dry. They've been in fruiting with the bag overtop for 24 hours. I've misted twice. I am not seeing any water droplets on the inside of the bag.

If I'm not seeing water on the inside of the bag, should I assume humidity and therefore moisture in the cake is not high enough? Perhaps I should dunk and then put em back in to their jars with the bags? Any advice?

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Frontiers (12/16/18 05:11 PM)

Offlinethejollyllama
Stranger

Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Frontiers]
    #25694505 - 12/21/18 08:55 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

So do you need to dunk with this method?

OfflineBlacktruffle27
WavyCaps
Male User Gallery

Loc: uk
Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: thejollyllama]
    #25702414 - 12/25/18 06:58 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Im nearly at this stage now. Do you put any holes in the plastic bags that you put over the jars?

OfflineMrMountain
Stranger
Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: thejollyllama]
    #25706464 - 12/27/18 08:40 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

I believe I read to dunk but not roll, you put a small layer of dry verm on top of the cake once you put it back in the jar.

My question is, do you mist the dry verm top immediately after placing it in the jar or wait a day for the cakes to start to dry out?

InvisibleBumholio
What's the craic
 User Gallery

Loc: Shroomsville
Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: MrMountain]
    #25706539 - 12/27/18 09:15 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Mist as soon as you apply it. You can also use a layer of field cap coir.

Put a couple of holes in the bags or if you've several jars you can sit them in a tote/container.

--------------------

"great things may come to those who wait, but only what's left by those who hustle"

OfflineSsebo
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25721457 - 01/03/19 07:49 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Thanks Bod! Do you leave the bags on until time to harvest? How do you know when it is time to harvest?

Thank you!

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Ssebo]
    #25721459 - 01/03/19 07:52 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Its time to harvest when you want to cut them down. Preferably before they make a spore mess. Bag keeps them from drying out while you're at work

OfflineSsebo
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25728338 - 01/07/19 01:47 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Thank you! Is it possible to get multiple flushes from the same jar with this method?

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Ssebo]
    #25728524 - 01/07/19 07:32 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Methods have nothing to do with flushes. Any healthy grow flushes multiple times

OfflineTheLostBoys
Space Cowboy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Spiritual Temple, Angkor ... Flag
Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25744768 - 01/15/19 01:51 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

:lookatit:

--------------------
Trade List

"Sleep All Day,Party All Night. Never Grow Old, Never Die.Its fun being a Vampire"-TheLostBoys
" If you want to find the secrets of the universe, Think in terms of Energy, Frequency, and Vibration" -Nikola Tesla
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" -Grateful Dead

OfflineWildcat1883
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: TheLostBoys]
    #25746104 - 01/15/19 07:59 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by Wildcat1883

Reason for deletion: Nonsense

OfflineWildcat1883
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: Wildcat1883]
    #25746107 - 01/15/19 08:01 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Well I’m stupid can’t figure how to upload pictures.

Offlinesolarfields
Stranger
    #25749158 - 01/17/19 12:26 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

One of my jars is pinning like crazy at the bottom but not doing anything at the top. They're also sitting in a bit of water since I couldn't get the cake to fit all the way to the bottom. I was thinking of flipping the cake upside down to give them more room to grow, is that a good idea?

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: solarfields]
    #25749189 - 01/17/19 12:41 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

I would. Pooling water is half the reason they're pinning down there too

Offlinefirsttimetryer
StrangerDanger
    #25751839 - 01/18/19 06:19 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Do you dunk before putting back in jar? I am assuming so.

--------------------
I'm only here for the cultivation of edible mushrooms.

OfflineActionjunkie
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: firsttimetryer] * 1
    #25752164 - 01/18/19 08:30 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

I have same problem. I just had one with massive side pins but the fruit was still beautiful. And when I flipped the sub over that was the bottom exploded with fruit.

--------------------
Consuming mushrooms may not be addictive but growing them is!

Offlinesan pedro guy
Captain
 User Gallery
    #25753944 - 01/19/19 04:55 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

is it necessary to take the cakes out of the jars if the cakes are going back in? If i have a jar that doesn’t fully colonize can i just wash off the top without taking the cake out and cover with fresh verm and a bag??

thanks dudes

Offlinepickle jar pete
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started by yourself no need for a pressure cooker [Re: san pedro guy]
    #25754321 - 01/19/19 08:23 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

If you run into a small mouth jar, you could just submerge the whole jar for 24hr. 
Jars are like babies, you never want to birth one early if you can help it.  Often pinning before colonization means contamination--continue the grow and harvest at your own risk.

--------------------
“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.” ― Edgar Allan Poe

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started