Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDrRedBush
I'm unpasteurized
Male User Gallery

Loc: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Re: BRF to bulk/cakes as spawn [Re: mushroomnate]
    #24967922 - 02/04/18 10:31 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I've recently enjoyed the switch from BRF to WBS cakes as spawn. I use a grain grinder to make it into flour. A 40 lb bag of bird seed is $14 here compared to over a $1 per pound for BRF. I haven't noticed any less yield.

Anyone else doing this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShineonyoucrazy
Apprentice fungi

Loc: Somewhere over the rainbo...
Re: BRF to bulk/cakes as spawn [Re: DrRedBush]
    #24968438 - 02/05/18 08:57 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I think themadhatter420 makes grain cakes instead of using brf. He was pumping out some nice flushes from them.

--------------------
Keep your feet on the ground and your head in the clouds :mushroom2:

Offlinemushroomnate
Pstranger
 User Gallery

Re: BRF to bulk/cakes as spawn [Re: Shineonyoucrazy] * 1
    #24969878 - 02/05/18 07:43 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Added a new project.27qt Mini!
8 half pint cakes were grated and spawned to about 5qt coir/verm and given a very light top layer on 1/22.
2/05

--------------------

BRF to bulk/Cakes as spawn

Edited by mushroomnate (02/05/18 07:44 PM)

Offlinebradburydoom
wanderer

#24975280 - 02/07/18 09:18 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry to ask a potentially obvious question, what's your fruiting method for the mini tubs? Are you removing the tape covering the holes and misting and fanning? Also, you mentioned ratios, are you doing 1:2 of grated BRF cake:coir/verm(50/50)?

Thanks for your hard work!

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

Loc: Minnesota, the next state...
Re: BRF to bulk/cakes as spawn [Re: bradburydoom]
    #24975899 - 02/08/18 07:07 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I was under the impression that most of these were unmodified tubs. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

InvisibleMateja
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Here
    #24976026 - 02/08/18 08:51 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bradburydoom said:
Sorry to ask a potentially obvious question, what's your fruiting method for the mini tubs? Are you removing the tape covering the holes and misting and fanning?(50/50)?

Thanks for your hard work!

You can remove the tape or you can leave it be, you can stuff with poly or not. It´s all up to you. No matter how you do it the substrate will still have enough FAE. You can also dub tub by placing another tub on top and creating a dome. You can fruit by simply flipping the lid upside down on an unmodified tub as well. All of these methods I´ve mentioned are for controlling how fast or slow the evaporation off the substrate occurs. As I said, no matter what option you go for you will have plenty of FAE for your substrate. Only time you mist is when you think the substrate is drying out, never mist on a fixed schedule. It´s like drinking water, you drink when you´re thirsty or when you think you really need it :thumbup:

NO FANNING! This is not needed for the home cultivator no matter what FC you use. This is outdated info.

Quote:

bradburydoom said:
Also, you mentioned ratios, are you doing 1:2 of grated BRF cake:coir/verm(50/50)?

Yes you can do that ratio or 1:1.

Just to be clear, it´s not actually 1:2 ratio if you spawn 4 BRF cakes to 2L coir, even if 4 grated 1/2 pint BRF cakes will have a volume of appr 2qt. One BRF cake has about 50ml of BRF and 200ml of vermiculite. 4 cakes have 200ml BRF and 800ml vermiculite. So technically you have ~200ml BRF and ~2800ml bulk substrate so that would technically make it a ratio of 1:14 nutrients/bulk substrate. And when you add to that the 3 day full colonization of bulk substrates then you start to start to appreciate the high success rate and the low contam rate with this method :stoned:

Hope that helps, good luck.

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

Offlinebradburydoom
wanderer

Re: BRF to bulk/cakes as spawn [Re: Mateja]
    #24976108 - 02/08/18 09:38 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mateah said:
You can remove the tape or you can leave it be, you can stuff with poly or not. It´s all up to you. No matter how you do it the substrate will still have enough FAE. You can also dub tub by placing another tub on top and creating a dome. You can fruit by simply flipping the lid upside down on an unmodified tub as well. All of these methods I´ve mentioned are for controlling how fast or slow the evaporation off the substrate occurs. As I said, no matter what option you go for you will have plenty of FAE for your substrate. Only time you mist is when you think the substrate is drying out, never mist on a fixed schedule. It´s like drinking water, you drink when you´re thirsty or when you think you really need it :thumbup:

NO FANNING! This is not needed for the home cultivator no matter what FC you use. This is outdated info.

I suspected this might be true. I recently did a similar sort of mini mono grow where I had no holes and only misted when it appear to dry out. One issue I ran into was only getting pins on the sides and the bottom, although I didn't use a casing layer. I've read conflicting accounts for when to use a casing layer, some people seem to you say you don't need it for most cubensis but others say you do. Does this help with getting pins on the top of the substrate? I would guess it helps retain moisture and therefor increase humidity.

Quote:

Mateah said:
Just to be clear, it´s not actually 1:2 ratio if you spawn 4 BRF cakes to 2L coir, even if 4 grated 1/2 pint BRF cakes will have a volume of appr 2qt. One BRF cake has about 50ml of BRF and 200ml of vermiculite. 4 cakes have 200ml BRF and 800ml vermiculite. So technically you have ~200ml BRF and ~2800ml bulk substrate so that would technically make it a ratio of 1:14 nutrients/bulk substrate. And when you add to that the 3 day full colonization of bulk substrates then you start to start to appreciate the high success rate and the low contam rate with this method :stoned:

Hope that helps, good luck.

All makes sense. I've tried using straight coir when spawning in the past and colonization time seemed a bit slow, but that could be do to a slightly lower temperature than would be ideal. I think I was in the 65-68 F degree range.

Also, the shroomery is great but I do have a tough time finding up to date information and techniques. It's quite easy to do a search and find posts from 10 or more years ago. I've learned to be a bit weary of anything more than a few years old as it is likely to be outdated.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by bradburydoom (02/08/18 09:39 AM)

InvisibleMateja

Re: BRF to bulk/cakes as spawn [Re: bradburydoom] * 1
    #24976173 - 02/08/18 10:13 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

It helps to read new posts that are posted every day. There are many threads which contain all the answers you´re looking for that are very active every day, you will notice them soon enough. Just keep reading new stuff and keep posting your questions and results and you´ll be sure to have the most updated relevant info :super:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

OfflineMegaCipher7
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast
    #24976368 - 02/08/18 11:57 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Great info

Offlinemushroomnate
Pstranger
 User Gallery

#24976802 - 02/08/18 03:57 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for that info Mateah! :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleMateja

Re: BRF to bulk/cakes as spawn [Re: mushroomnate] * 1
    #24976872 - 02/08/18 04:39 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I´m just happy that so many new and experienced growers have had success with this method and that more and more are trying this out.
This thread has began to take off a bit and that´s good, if we keep it active more new growers will hopefully get a chance to check it out before they dunk their cakes and place them inside the SGFC. I hope I don´t come off as I´m shitting on the SGFC I´m not, I´ve made it very clear from the beginning that it´s design is not ideal for small substrates+new growers, but when you know what you´re doing you can make it work. But if you know what you´re doing you´re probably not fruiting in a SGFC anyway so.. Maybe I am shitting a bit on the SGFC after all :eatingout:

I have 8 jars about 50% colonized that I inoculated with
an agar wedge on top of the substrate, no verm barrier on top of course.

Notice how myc is growing straight down from the inoculation point and in every direction.
This is how you know that the inside of a BRF cake is fully colonized when the outside perimeter of the cakes is fully covered in myc.

I was gonna use these cakes for slurry inoculation later, these are clones I´m testing out.
Also I keep the jars in a sanitized tub and the jars go straight from the PC to the SAB,
and then straight inside the sanitized tub and the tub is not opened until I intend to use the jars as slurry.
But now I kind of want to make one BRF tub as well just for the heck of it :lmafo:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

Offlinebradburydoom
wanderer

#24976884 - 02/08/18 04:47 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mateah said:
no verm barrier on top of course.

If you aren't using a verm barrier are you using something else? Or if not how close to the top of the jar are you filling the substrate?

Quote:

Mateah said:
before they dunk their cakes

Are you guys not dunking before grating your cakes? Apologies if that's a naive question.

Thanks man!

Offlinekanemush
Grumpy
Male User Gallery
    #24976911 - 02/08/18 05:04 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

No dunk before going to substrate it will take care of the moisture.

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

Loc: Minnesota, the next state...
    #24976913 - 02/08/18 05:06 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mateah said:
I´m just happy that so many new and experienced growers have had success with this method and that more and more are trying this out.
This thread has began to take off a bit and that´s good, if we keep it active more new growers will hopefully get a chance to check it out before they dunk their cakes and place them inside the SGFC. I hope I don´t come off as I´m shitting on the SGFC I´m not, I´ve made it very clear from the beginning that it´s design is not ideal for small substrates+new growers, but when you know what you´re doing you can make it work. But if you know what you´re doing you´re probably not fruiting in a SGFC anyway so.. Maybe I am shitting a bit on the SGFC after all :eatingout:

Notice how myc is growing straight down from the inoculation point and in every direction.
This is how you know that the inside of a BRF cake is fully colonized when the outside perimeter of the cakes is fully covered in myc.

I was gonna use these cakes for slurry inoculation later, these are clones I´m testing out.
Also I keep the jars in a sanitized tub and the jars go straight from the PC to the SAB,
and then straight inside the sanitized tub and the tub is not opened until I intend to use the jars as slurry.
But now I kind of want to make one BRF tub as well just for the heck of it :lmafo:

Totally inspiring to those transitioning from cakes to bulk media!

I have the beginnings of a pretty dense looking pinset on my first cake to bulk box! Looking forward to that! I'll snap a pic at a good moment.

Seeing everyone's results inspired me to start more BRF cakes with some agar. I also have a 1 1/2 pint golden teacher jar almost colonized, which should probably go to a shoebox or tray.

I do love watching BRF jars colonize from agar!

--------------------

*ALL POSTS CREATED BY THIS USER ARE FICTIONAL IN NATURE, AND ARE THE PRODUCT OF LUCID DREAMING. THEY ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN AS REAL OR TRUE.

Offlinemushroomnate
Pstranger
 User Gallery

#24976924 - 02/08/18 05:10 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mateah said:

I agree with your thoughts on an SGFC.Mine sits in a corner filled with supplies.I can get more fruit for less space when I bulk spawn my cakes.(compared to the amount of space 4 cakes takes up in sgfc)
I really want to play around with clones,but I just don't have the supplies I need for that at this time.

Quote:

bradburydoom said:
Quote:

Mateah said:
before they dunk their cakes

Are you guys not dunking before grating your cakes? Apologies if that's a naive question.

Thanks man!

No.No dunking of the cakes before grating.

--------------------

InvisibleMateja

#24976969 - 02/08/18 05:27 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I have dunked only once before spawn to see what would happen. Spawn came out looking gross
with less inoculation points and that spawn didn´t even recover after being mixed with the substrate.
Dunked cakes felt mushy and awful, but dry cakes make for more volume and thus more
inoculation points that seem to recover after 6-12h.

Quote:

mushroomnate said:
I really want to play around with clones,but I just don't have the supplies I need for that at this time.

All you really need is BRF cakes and a SAB.
You keep the jar closed until it starts to pin, and then
just open the jars up inside the SAB and transfer the pin onto
new BRF substrates, just like I did without the top verm layer.

These types of clones are called invitro clones since they come from an environment free from contaminants.
If you let an agar plate pin you will also have 100% clean tissue clone, or from a pinning WBS jar as well.

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #24976980 - 02/08/18 05:32 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

You can take clones in a sab and blend it in a 1/2 pint tall jar using an oster blender. It only works going straight to brf cakes not to grain jars.

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Offlinemushroomnate
Pstranger
 User Gallery

#24977007 - 02/08/18 05:45 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:
You can take clones in a sab and blend it in a 1/2 pint tall jar using an oster blender. It only works going straight to brf cakes not to grain jars.

Quote:

Mateah said:
All you really need is BRF cakes and a SAB.
You keep the jar closed until it starts to pin, and then
just open the jars up inside the SAB and transfer the pin onto
new BRF substrates, just like I did without the top verm layer.

These types of clones are called invitro clones since they come from an environment free from contaminants.
If you let an agar plate pin you will also have 100% clean tissue clone, or from a pinning WBS jar as well.

PC not needed?Time for some research. :takingnotes: Thanks!

Just a fun brf to bulk(?) grow.

Used the zip-loc FC.

--------------------

InvisibleMateja

#24977066 - 02/08/18 06:11 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I think that grain is the only thing that needs a thorough PC cycle :shrug:
I could be wrong tho but can´t think of anything else right now.

You don´t need a PC to sterilize LC or agar media, you can do all the SAB work that those with a PC can do.
Except you can´t do grain to grain of course.

Technically you could steam sterilize grain but it´s gonna take half a day
and even then you won´t be sure that it´s properly sterilized.

But in terms of working with cloning and isolating 100% clean cultures you don´t really need a PC at all.
But a PC is still a PC and it gets ALL the jobs done, even grain :smirk:

Quote:

mushroomnate said:

:crazy2:
:thumbup:

That would be a mini bulk substrate

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #24977156 - 02/08/18 06:53 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate