Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnzo
Stranger
What type of contamination is this and how can i avoid it?
    #24974003 - 02/07/18 03:37 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

This was my second try. The first went really well(can add pics if it helps).
They are cubensis b+. It would really nice if someone could tell me what type of contamination it is and how i can avoid it.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

Re: What type of contamination is this and how can i avoid it? [Re: Anzo]
    #24975200 - 02/07/18 10:43 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

If I'm not mistaken there is more than one contam in there.

In two spots I can see brown grey specks.

And, shooting from the hip here bc I don't know a few variables but I also see bacteria that was shaken. The spots where it appears the mushroom myc is having trouble expanding and colonizing fully. Usually that's because the grains are already colonized by an unseen bacterium. In my early SAB days, which wasn't that long ago, I realized the hard way that, yeah I was seeing a little mountain of mushroom myc before the shake, but I wasn't seeing a little pile of bacteria colonized grains, they're invisible to me. After a shake they disperse evenly and end up being boundary lines between the two organisms.

Once I noticed it was on the majority of my batch I knew it wasn't being clumsy on one jar or a bump here and there - i was doing something fundamentally wrong, affecting all of them, my sab wasn't "still", affecting all of them or my flame sterilization wasn't hot enough, affecting all of them, etc.

I think I see yellow now, that's 3 contams, in multiple jars. Something is fundamentally wrong. I would spend an hour or two searching for sab technique there's a lot of great threads here in it. So many little rules but really it's about feel, the sab is your tool and you are technician. My holes needed to be twice as big as they were. do some dry runs (complete procedure, room prep, gloves face mask is so important, clean and load box with things to practice with, make every move deliberate, perfect holding your oetri kid and oetri dish open in same hand, never be over an open dish, ever, tons of little things.

At the end of it, now I find myself flame sterilizing my scalpel with my right hand, and I've been having trouble with my alcohol lamp lately, think I'm gonna ditch it, and I realize I've been holding my left arm perfectly floating in the sab hole without resting it or even bumping the sides for at least two minutes of looking away at a scalpel and torch - it's amazing how tight of a feel you can develop.

--------------------
My name is not a proclamation but a reminder of how to carry myself.

How I made my mush GH                              How I make chocolates

Cannabis

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: What type of contamination is this and how can i avoid it? [Re: Humble Newcomer]
    #24975388 - 02/08/18 12:35 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

toss. its molds.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

OfflineAnzo
Stranger
Re: What type of contamination is this and how can i avoid it? [Re: Ziran]
    #24975698 - 02/08/18 04:56 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

What could be the cause of it? I had to reuse the bandage at the lid and i am not sure if my pressure cooker is working correctly so that could be the main reasons. Do you have any other tips for me?

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: What type of contamination is this and how can i avoid it? [Re: Anzo]
    #24975716 - 02/08/18 05:28 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Make sure when you do your PC cycle you vent properly. and then don't hover over open medium. Also, make sure your inoculate is clean. (agar)

Hmm. What else. Use a SAB or flow hood. lots of things can result in that, but usually unclean inoculate or PC cycle wasn't hitting proper temps.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

Re: What type of contamination is this and how can i avoid it? [Re: Ziran]
    #24975925 - 02/08/18 09:31 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

The cause would be something that is affecting them all. PC cycle not long enough. Not flame sterilizing long enough. Not making "still air" inside the air Box while working. Etc

If contam is in a jar here and there it's a little mistake here and there like bumping the box or taking too long on one transfer maybe. If it's in everything, the mistake Is fundamental and it's affecting everything.

Re visit everything from top to bottom and rkeep learning and adapting. You'll get it.

--------------------
My name is not a proclamation but a reminder of how to carry myself.

How I made my mush GH                              How I make chocolates

Cannabis

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation