Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCoolGuySteve
Stranger
 User Gallery
"Controversial Portland program uses marijuana and kratom to treat opioid addiction"
    #24953645 - 01/30/18 01:38 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

'link'

As those of us who have suffered and become sober on our own know...tapering your brain down from high-octane living can be well-neigh impossible cold turkey. I know that, for me, having a treatment center that provided a tapered schedule of  less and less use, coupled with CBT and DBT exercises would have probably allowed me to get sober a decade earlier. Instead, I had a $2,000 a night room with no doctor 24hrs after check-in, nurses that wouldn't give me a measly dose of Benzos unless I was physically shaking (something I never did, even when experiencing full-blown audio and visual hallucinations and projectile vomiting bile), and who turned my room's thermostat down to 54 degrees when i called her 12-step pep talk ' bullshit.' Hey, not my best moment but I was a mess, going through intense withdrawals and being treated like a criminal even though I'd checked myself in. Anyways, thems tha breaks.

Addiction treatment has a 1/2 century to go before it gets anywhere near where it should be, imo. But this move is a step in the right direction.
Good idea or bad idea?
You may choose 2

Votes accepted from (01/30/18 01:33 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: "Controversial Portland program uses marijuana and kratom to treat opioid addiction" [Re: CoolGuySteve]
    #24954493 - 01/30/18 12:08 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Is stuff like this controversial because it's never been studied before or because it goes against the grain of the financial giant known as insurance and the addiction  treatment industry?

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
Re: "Controversial Portland program uses marijuana and kratom to treat opioid addiction" [Re: CoolGuySteve]
    #24954527 - 01/30/18 12:24 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Progress in the right direction is always a good idea.

Progress in the right direction, in this world, seems to be quite a rare thing.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: "Controversial Portland program uses marijuana and kratom to treat opioid addiction" [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #24954751 - 01/30/18 02:12 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

IME, trading drugs is not a good way to deal with addictions. I think she could throw out the MJ and use the kratom to help with withdrawals and then wean off of that.
There is some good constructive behavioral therapy going on because she said that the one dude had made some amends (which is borrowed from the 12 step program)and really does work for self esteem.

The 20 grand a month is pretty high also and I think she will have problems getting insurance companies to buy in and subsidize. No down and out junkie has 20 grand sitting around.

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
Re: "Controversial Portland program uses marijuana and kratom to treat opioid addiction" [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #24954793 - 01/30/18 02:29 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I agree the weed is unnecessary, but Kratom is a help for sure; it really, really helped me to get off the brown.

Interesting how many opponents there are in that article though. I bet none of them have tried either of those substances.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

OfflineCoolGuySteve
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: "Controversial Portland program uses marijuana and kratom to treat opioid addiction" [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #24956134 - 01/31/18 01:10 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

We have more research and history with mj than with kratom, though. I don't really trust a lot of these newer 'RCs' ...over marijuana and/or mushrooms? No way.

I know kratom isn't really an RC but its still relatively new and unstudied. And at a y rate you're not trading you're tapering. And its been used pretty extensively to switch-up drug delivery methods and also drugs, as you taper off all substances.

I mean, they drink coffee and smoke cigarettes like its their job at AA and NA. That's basically the same thing. Crutches can be helpful if you're aware of what they are and tapering *them* as well.

:-)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds