Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Dehydrator, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: kayo] * 1
    #25031496 - 03/01/18 01:21 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I add a little bit more water to the perlite after the first flush to replace what has evaporated. I also re-use my perlite, wash it with a 10% bleach solution,  rinse, let stand over night to release gases.

--------------------
LET EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO YOU
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Edited by Doc9151 (03/01/18 01:46 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Ul'dah
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Doc9151]
    #25034102 - 03/02/18 06:54 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all, got some more pics. Growing slowly but surely.

Anyway just posting an update. Let me know if you see anything that doesnt look right. I am noticing some slight discoloration around the exposed white mycelium, probably hard to tell, but I think its bruising. Probably need to slow the misting down. Its almost looks like contam but its got that bluish tint to it I think. Ill let you be the overall judge.

Aside from that im not liking how mushies are getting pinned down under the saucers so im planning on making some larger ones this weekend. Btw, how fast are cakes supposed to suck out water from these things? Took a little longer than usual putting them back just now and they sucked it all up in under a minute! Either that or I have a leak in every single one!

Anyway pins galore. Should have hell of a first flush by this time next week if all goes as it should. As always thanks for all the help.

OfflineSutty86
Brit
 User Gallery

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: kayo]
    #25034404 - 03/02/18 09:16 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Looking good, did you roll after dunking in vermiculite, look a little bare on that department

--------------------
Looking for PENIS ENVY.
Have spores to trade:mushroom2:

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Sutty86]
    #25034823 - 03/02/18 11:48 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I rolled them, one of them (the whitest one) collected mostly verm dust but the rest looked more or less like the others id seen before around here before mycelium wrapped itself around it.

This was taken just after dunking and placing in FC.

OfflineSutty86
Brit
 User Gallery

#25035017 - 03/03/18 02:05 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Looking forward to your pins growing,
I got my first pins yesterday

--------------------
Looking for PENIS ENVY.
Have spores to trade:mushroom2:

Offlinegrow4fun
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Sutty86] * 1
    #25035631 - 03/03/18 11:51 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

That cabinet is awesome, creative. I like it. :cheers:

OfflineSally Hatchet
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Hole in the ground
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: grow4fun] * 1
    #25038403 - 03/04/18 04:20 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

To be that cabinet looks ideal for a shoebox. Been eyeing them at my local dept store :wink:

--------------------

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Sally Hatchet]
    #25039311 - 03/04/18 11:27 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Hey! Thanks for the comments! Honestly its served as a decent Stealth Rig so far. Kind of a pain to get the FC in and out but the whole point was to have it more or less hands off anyway. I have been stressing moisture levels from not being able to tell how they are (with contradicting symptoms). Definitely agree its better suited for either a small monotub or shoebox. Hell, some invitro jars would probably work better too. Any setup that, unlike SGFC, benefits from more surrounding airflow rather than less would work best I think.

Anyway... long-ish update today
Update 03/04/18: When the veil breaks...
Its almost harvest time! Picked my first fully mature shroom just now for fun. A kinda ugly one growing sideways with a broken veil (in pic). Saw about two others as well ready to go but ill probably give it another day or two so I can get a good amount to dehydrate at once.

--Quick question, since i was lucky enough to get a few big clusters, some mushies will be ready before others. Do I cut them off as their veils break (bruising the cluster) or find a happy median to pull the whole thing out?

--Also im seeing fuzzy feet and some light stripes in ... the stipe. Too much moisture? On the other hand the mycelium is getting a bluish tint on them (hopefully you can see it now) isnt that a sign of dryness?

Funny thing happened, my homemade watering saucers had leaks! All of them. So while I was filling them up, thinking the cakes were sucking it up quick, it was actually dripping onto the perlite. Some puddling even happened. I tossed it around to spread the moisture but ill probably just mist less and rely on saucers more, then reset after this flush.

-- Also any thoughts on my new saucers? Used a larger mold this time to make room for the clusters growing. Sorry LtLurker, had to move them apart again. Also added a small layer of verm under it to hold moisture better. Any thoughts? :smile:

This is how they are set up now as well as my favorite cake and shroom (bottom right)

OfflineTormato
It’s OK!! I’m a Limo Driver!! 😁
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25039719 - 03/05/18 07:29 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kayo said:
--Quick question, since i was lucky enough to get a few big clusters, some mushies will be ready before others. Do I cut them off as their veils break (bruising the cluster) or find a happy median to pull the whole thing out?

Cultivators preference. I usually wait till after the veils break. Harvest as they become ready.

Quote:

kayo said:
--Also im seeing fuzzy feet and some light stripes in ... the stipe. Too much moisture? On the other hand the mycelium is getting a bluish tint on them (hopefully you can see it now) isnt that a sign of dryness?

Fuzzy feet and stem stripes is usually a sign over saturation and/or lack of FAE.

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Tormato's LAGM 2020

Come chat with me and other Trusted Cultivators and Trusted Identifiers on Shroomery Discord

Some cool videos I like to watch under the influence.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Tormato]
    #25039971 - 03/05/18 10:59 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Cool, ill do that, then pull out entire cluster base once im ready to dunk again this weekend. Woke up this morning to some flattened out heads already so ill definitely be starting to harvest today. Looks like thats about as big as theyre going to get too. Hopefully ill be better prepared with the moisture/FAE levels next round.

OfflineTormato
It’s OK!! I’m a Limo Driver!! 😁
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25039983 - 03/05/18 11:02 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kayo said:
Cool, ill do that, then pull out entire cluster base once im ready to dunk again this weekend. Woke up this morning to some flattened out heads already so ill definitely be starting to harvest today. Looks like thats about as big as theyre going to get too. Hopefully ill be better prepared with the moisture/FAE levels next round.

Right on! Good job! :rockon:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Tormato's LAGM 2020

Come chat with me and other Trusted Cultivators and Trusted Identifiers on Shroomery Discord

Some cool videos I like to watch under the influence.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Tormato]
    #25040033 - 03/05/18 11:21 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Those are some bangin cakes man. They look very happy.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: LtLurker]
    #25042262 - 03/06/18 09:11 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Holy hell! So I had a bit of a freak out when I got home yesterday. I swear I left with only one mushroom flattened out, then 12hrs I came home to this. :shocked:

Probably not much per usual shroomery standards but hot dam I wasnt expecting this much! Picked some last night, then some more this morning and there is still a few left Im expecting to pull after work.

lol, should I be using a VPN before uploading any evidence pics? :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:
Dont have anything to weigh it with but im happy either way. Should be able to post dry weight later this week. Promise I wont eat any(more). :grin:

This is some of what remained after first day of harvest. The others are the same cakes but in the morning after some more opened up (already harvested).  Lookin all pretty, just had to take a pic :mushroom2:

Anyway, just want to say thanks again for everything. Not just on this thread but all the hard work you've all put in to spread the love and knowledge.

????? - So is next step another dunk and roll like before? Its looking bruised to high hell, and slowly getting worse. Not 100% sure what happened TBH. Bruising like that = dryness right? But at the same time I had fuzzy feet, stipe stripes, short but mature, and a couple were even drenched when I picked them! Spongy even.  Is the fan maybe removing too much moisture from the surface but at the same time the water saucers added too much water? Maybe just not enough verm "casing" to protect mycelium?

Should I just call it and start planning next grow after this? Theyre looking kinda dirty and old =/

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #25042475 - 03/06/18 11:30 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbsup: Very nice man.

At the end on a big flush, it seems like my cakes gets dry and bruises a bit to. Putting water into the fruits i guess but, idk :shrug:

The soggy ones I guess came from bottom, it's hard to avoid when bottom watering. I try to put a little less water in the dish so it soaks up faster and isn't soaking the bottom fruits, but the soggy fruits will dry out just the same.

Dunk & roll and go for flush 2. You can get an average of 3 flushes out of a cake, or keep'em goin till your next jar batch is done.

OfflineRuxBux
WhiskeyTimeMachine
 User Gallery

Loc: Tundra Wasteland
    #25042482 - 03/06/18 11:31 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

A fan in close proximity is pretty much always going to bruise your cakes. But the good thing is, bruised cakes still fruit! Do that second flush man, it won't hurt. And prep some jars for your next grow at the same time!

InvisibleBlueZwoman
Stranger
Female

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: RuxBux]
    #25044379 - 03/07/18 03:44 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I love your "oven tek.". Looks just like mine and worked on 5 out of 6 jars, also received with verm on tops.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: BlueZwoman]
    #25044735 - 03/07/18 10:14 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Ill definitely go for another flush then at least. Cakes are pretty much blue everywhere now and im noticing have lost some mass in the mid to lower area. I agree, RuxBux, the fan was likely the source of all my noobie troubles this time. Made the surface noticeably dry which had me try to compensate by overdoing it with water. Not to mention the leaks I mentioned. The fan probably wasnt even necessary since I spent the entire week opening the FC like 3 times a day lol.

I think the setup lends itself best for either a monotub or shoebox setup like Sally Hatchet said before. They arent nearly as porous as SGFC. Its what I plan to do for my next grow.

Live and learn I guess. Honestly im happy with results either way.

Quote:

BlueZwoman said:
I love your "oven tek.". Looks just like mine and worked on 5 out of 6 jars, also received with verm on tops.

Haha, glad im not the only one who used the "Toaster Oven Tek." :clown:
I got a SAB for next time though lol.

Yeah buying premade jars online was a bad idea. I technically got trich in 3 of them and I think it was more because of the crappy dry verm layer. It was right on the surface after opening them and I was able to save one at least.

If you havent yet, and for anyone who decides to buys online, I say leave the foil on as long as possible and even then replace with micropore, tyvek or polyfill. The fact verm ends up on the lids means they were shaken vigorously during shipping and its likely there are nutrients on or near the surface. Not only did my supplier NOT tape up the holes for shipping, they obviously didnt top off the jar completely with dry verm. :mad:

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: kayo] * 2
    #25045916 - 03/07/18 03:13 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Take those bluing cakes and shred them into some coir and verm that's been brought to field capacity. Let it colonize then fruit.

--------------------
LET EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO YOU
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Doc9151]
    #25047301 - 03/07/18 10:17 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
Take those bluing cakes and shred them into some coir and verm that's been brought to field capacity. Let it colonize then fruit.

..... Sure! Why not. :shrug:

:grin::grin::grin:

OfflineUnsungHero
Endure & Persist

Loc: root@remotehost
Re: Another "my first (stealth) grow" thread [Re: kayo] * 1
    #25047311 - 03/07/18 10:20 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Absolutely brilliant. :thumbup: really nice build and project dude!

:happyclaps:

--------------------
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear."

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Dehydrator, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started