Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Ziran]
    #25017915 - 02/24/18 10:18 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ziran said:
Quote:

LtLurker said:
There's 2 different styles of 1/2 Pint Jars. I have ones like Kayo, tall & thin. Doc's are Short & fatter. Both 1/2 Pint volume.

Here's an image to compare. 3x Pint jars next to 2x tall & thin 1/2 Pints.

You will have to top fruit the tapered neck ones if they reach 100% colonization. Cause you can't birth those ones like you can with the wide mouths.

I could, but instead I just cut into quarters and slide them out in pieces. It gets grated after that any way. EZ PZ.
I'm usin the Pints for bulk, and 1/2 pints for cakes. Just birthed and cut up the 1/2pinters as a test shoebox for these clones. My other shoebox was grown out in pints, need to get some more pics when i get the chance.

Edited by LtLurker (02/24/18 10:31 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTormato
It’s OK!! I’m a Limo Driver!! 😁
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Doc9151] * 1
    #25017943 - 02/24/18 10:31 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
They are ready, you have pinning, don't wait. You can wait on the one still colonizing, but the jars with pins are ready to fruit.

Time to dunk and roll! :whathesaid:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Tormato's LAGM 2020

Come chat with me and other Trusted Cultivators and Trusted Identifiers on Shroomery Discord

Some cool videos I like to watch under the influence.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Ul'dah
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Tormato]
    #25019497 - 02/24/18 10:21 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Hey all thanks for all the help.

So I took your advice and started opening them up. Lost another one. It had contaminated with the same teal colored gunk as the previous pic right on the top. Another might have had some too but wasnt sure so I cut it in half with a knife (heated and cooled of course) and put it in a separate container for now.

I can definitely see why its bad to buy kits. Or pre-made jars at least. Not sure if its normal but im pretty sure none of the videos I saw had mycelium (with contamination) growing right up to the top of the jar along the sides. Lots of space between jar lid and surface too and i think dry verm layer is supposed to reach the lid. Even had room enough for a pin to grow inbetween! *sigh*

So yeah. Dont buy online kids! :grin::thumbup:

Sorry, no pics this time, didnt even cross my mind until after.

Then there were 4... maybe 3. :crying:

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: kayo] * 1
    #25019535 - 02/24/18 10:42 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry for your loss man. Start workin on packin your own. Itll be more reliable and its really easy. Hope the rest go well.

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: LtLurker] * 1
    #25019659 - 02/24/18 11:50 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

It sounds like trich or penicillium contamination. Agar is the way go, you can use tyvek filters for pf tek instead of the verm layer.  Spore syringes are the slot machines of fungal growth.

--------------------
LET EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO YOU
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Doc9151]
    #25020576 - 02/25/18 01:12 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Agar is actually looking more and more attractive to me lol. At first I brushed it off thinking its just more junk and more sterile work for something im not really looking to make a main hobby out of (more of a gardener than a mycologist lol).

It does however seem like a decent way of using 2-3 dishes at a time to avoid/remove any contamination rather than 10+ trying to isolate a strain.

Also PF Tek seems more complicated than its worth compared to monotubs so ill be doing grains to poo monotubs next and agar can only help things go smoother from what I can tell. Eventually I want to start from my own prints as well so even more of a reason to go with agar.

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
    #25021575 - 02/25/18 08:25 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Poo can still cause you problems,  you have to pasteurize poo substrate. If you use coir and vermiculite or just coir, no pasteurization is needed.

--------------------
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
    #25021589 - 02/25/18 08:29 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

This was my last project, it's made up of 1qt of colonized oats and 1qt of coir. I ended up with a litte under an oz of dried product.

The wet weight was 350+g, 327g was water weight. It's an Orissa strain. I think a different strain would have had a better end weight.  The Orissa were hollow and lacked any real substance. They are high in psilocin in my opinion.

--------------------
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Edited by Doc9151 (02/25/18 08:33 PM)

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25022852 - 02/26/18 11:11 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Funny I was just reading up on Bods and Damions Coir teks just now. I figured manure would be more natural and nutritious but with harvests like those who cares! Couple flushes like that and id be set for a while.

Is that floating on water? Never seen that :shocked:

Anyway, quick update 02/26/18:
I buried one of the contaminated cakes outside behind a tree. I had just finished waking up my Fly Traps and had some left over peat moss. So I mixed it up with some microwaved quinoa and instant oats,  cooled and sandwiched the broken up cakes with it in the hole before covering with dirt.
:goodluck:

Also dunked the cakes for a little over 24hrs, rinsed them off (had even more pins already!), rolled in Verm and placed in foil "cups" molded from lids. Left them over night, as is, then misted and filled the cups this morning.

One of the cakes didnt seem to want any verm lol, mostly just collected dust. I was kinda disappointed how small the verm was. I dunno, should I rerinse and try again? Wasnt expecting that. (bottom lowest cake)

Thank again for everything.

Edited by kayo (02/26/18 11:11 AM)

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#25022890 - 02/26/18 11:27 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Floating on water, There's a thread called Bod's Harvest Tek. When it's time to harvest you flood the unmodded tub with water so the sub floats up where you can cut it. Siphon out when done. It's pretty clever.

Good luck on your outdoor!

Most people shoot for 18hrs dunk, 24 max, but doubt it'll hurt anything. Since you just Dunked and rehydrated them, you don't need to fill the bottom watering dishes until it's got it's pinset. If it can't absorb the water and sits in stagnant water too long it can start rotting. I would keep an eye that it soaks up what you put in within a few days.

Edit Add: Hell yea on goin bottom water! So easy and keepin the cakes hydrated has gotta help. I love it.

I think your lightly vermed cake will be fine. You could sprinkle little more on if you really wanted to.

Edited by LtLurker (02/26/18 11:28 AM)

Offlinenatedog889
OffBalanceHandStand
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#25023466 - 02/26/18 01:10 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
This was my last project, it's made up of 1qt of colonized oats and 1qt of coir. I ended up with a litte under an oz of dried product.

The wet weight was 350+g, 327g was water weight. It's an Orissa strain. I think a different strain would have had a better end weight.  The Orissa were hollow and lacked any real substance. They are high in psilocin in my opinion.

WHy is your sub not fully  colonized?? is my question mine look like giant white cakes

--------------------
Tossed Out the Junk
For The Findings of Inner Peace & Love.
Trying So Hard to Be the BEST I CAN BE.
Read Along kids Know KnOwLedGe is PoWer.

Josex
"MAKING AN UNFILTERED GW BROTH FROM GRAIN FLOUR, CUZ YOU'RE A NASTY FUCK..."

Love It when they Talk Dirty.

OfflineRuxBux
WhiskeyTimeMachine
 User Gallery

Loc: Tundra Wasteland
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: natedog889]
    #25023470 - 02/26/18 01:11 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Doc probably fruited at spawn. It works!

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: LtLurker]
    #25023497 - 02/26/18 01:29 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
Most people shoot for 18hrs dunk, 24 max, but doubt it'll hurt anything. Since you just Dunked and rehydrated them, you don't need to fill the bottom watering dishes until it's got it's pinset. If it can't absorb the water and sits in stagnant water too long it can start rotting. I would keep an eye that it soaks up what you put in within a few days.

Oh youre right I forgot youre not supposed to fill them until pinning! :eek: Ill keep an eye on it for sure. Thanks for that.

That is pretty clever actually. Wouldve never thought of it. May even use it one day. :laugh:

Outside thing was more of a thrown together side thing . Id be surprised if something fruits at all. Not even sure I should eat it if it does lol.

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
    #25024109 - 02/26/18 04:43 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

They were on autopilot, I went in the hospital the day they were spawned, came out a week later to that.

--------------------
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25026753 - 02/27/18 06:57 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Update 02/27/18:
We got pins! I was starting to freak out a bit thinking its getting too dry with the fan and all but after checking them out today it may actually be the opposite. I am getting fuzziness growing on top of some cakes and its getting thicker around other areas as well. What ya think?

Sign of too much moisture? Kind of hard to tell what condition the surface is just by looking with my noobie eye (ill be sure to take a pics tomorrow morning). Its the only cake with anything but it looks like the start of a nice cluster.

So far the schedule has been
5-6PM --- Mist, turn on fan and lights
10-11PM --- Mist, fill bottom
5AM --- Mist, turn off fan and lights

So ill probably skip the 5AM misting since the fan will be off for 12hrs anyway. Should I expect the fuzziness to clear out or just not grow out more?

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#25026769 - 02/27/18 07:12 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I think you're looking good right now. You'll be able to tell better when the pins get bigger if you got too much moisture, they'll grow fuzzy feet. Although bottom pins in the bottom water will get some fuzz down there any way.

After birthing, my cakes tend to colonize over the rolled verm pretty well. Looks like that's what you got happening.

Other note, I'd put those cakes closer to each other, they like it close, helps hold humidity.

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: LtLurker] * 1
    #25027283 - 02/27/18 10:17 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with Lt, it's looking good,  I think your fine on moisture. They will use more and more everyday as they grow.

Edit: I think I like the look of the tall pint jars compared to mine, I like the surface area being tall and trim (like me:crazy2:)

Some may tell you to pick off the smaller pins due to their size, but I like to let mine go just until the veil starts straining before tearing, they kick my ass.

--------------------
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Edited by Doc9151 (02/27/18 10:23 PM)

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25028225 - 02/28/18 10:26 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Sweet! Thanks for the reassurances :grin:

I continued the same schedule so far and took Lt's advice by putting them closer together towards the center. They are really sucking up that water btw, its all gone overnight!

Anyway, these are from the morning when they should be at their driest, just  before misting. If they look OK now then I should be set. Got a few more pins on another cake now  as well. They seem to prefer pinning along the outside perimeter so far.

What ya think? Starting to think there is more and enough FAE already just with me opening it up 3 times a day lol.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#25028534 - 02/28/18 01:08 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Everything's looking just fine man. You can do them even closer than that to, like 1-2 inches. When you start poppin more jars you can fit more in your fc and they'll maintain even better.

Here's about how close i keep mine.

The idea is, just like how bulk tubs love making sidepins in those little gaps, you're trying to make a small climate between the sides of your cakes.

That's all knit picking really though. They'll be fine as they are to. Good job.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: LtLurker]
    #25031443 - 03/01/18 12:58 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Cool man, thanks again for advice. I put them even closer last night. Should I fill out the ends of the chamber with something too? Like some empty mason jars?

Also is it unusual to "reset the FC before 2nd flush? Hell I may just get new perlite. I had to get Miracle-Gro brand which has nutrients so I dont trust it..... also there are brown spots on perlite near the bottom holes which has me worried. :uhoh:

No pics again but nothing really exciting anyway. Few more pins, another possible cluster forming on another cake, maybe even some knots on the late bloomer this morning. Slower shroom growth than expected, they seemed to double in size per day while in the jar but still growing at least :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started