Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLoran
Strange Loop
 User Gallery

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: kayo] * 1
    #24991166 - 02/13/18 01:38 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

This is impressive.

I'm curious why you need to go stealth. Parents? Roommates? Those brackets on the front are a bit conspicuous--but only for someone actively looking for contraband.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTormato
It’s OK!! I’m a Limo Driver!! 😁
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Loran] * 1
    #24991292 - 02/13/18 02:41 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Pardon my laziness...but did you say the fan was on a duty cycle? timer? I would have it be more on/off spread out through the 24 hour period. Having it on for a full 8 hrs constant could be interrupting the evaporation cycle and contributing to dryness.  Also a SGFC will fluctuate between 50-80 RH naturally so...food for thought on your RH readings the myc surface is what matters most...not the overall RH of the FC :shrug:

:2cents:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Tormato's LAGM 2020

Come chat with me and other Trusted Cultivators and Trusted Identifiers on Shroomery Discord

Some cool videos I like to watch under the influence.

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Tormato]
    #24991304 - 02/13/18 02:45 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

My advice, don't over think it. That's it, follow the tek to the letter and you'll succeed.

OfflineTormato
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Doc9151] * 1
    #24991314 - 02/13/18 02:48 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
My advice, don't over think it. That's it, follow the tek to the letter and you'll succeed.

True....but I don't think there is a "TEK" for what he has going on. :lol:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Tormato's LAGM 2020

Come chat with me and other Trusted Cultivators and Trusted Identifiers on Shroomery Discord

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
    #24991325 - 02/13/18 02:52 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Tormato said:
Quote:

Doc9151 said:

True....but I don't think there is a "TEK" for what he has going on. :lol:

Lol somehow I posted that to the wrong thread, but damn op, that's phat.

--------------------
LET EVERYTHING HAPPEN TO YOU
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Ul'dah
    #24991543 - 02/13/18 04:44 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Loran said:
This is impressive.

I'm curious why you need to go stealth. Parents? Roommates? Those brackets on the front are a bit conspicuous--but only for someone actively looking for contraband.

Haha its just tenants and visitors. No biggie, I doubt theyd snoop around that much, just beats a big tub in the corner of the room. Also doing it because I dont really have the space, and I like doing this kind of tinkering modding stuff.

Quote:

Tormato said:
Pardon my laziness...but did you say the fan was on a duty cycle? timer? I would have it be more on/off spread out through the 24 hour period. Having it on for a full 8 hrs constant could be interrupting the evaporation cycle and contributing to dryness.  Also a SGFC will fluctuate between 50-80 RH naturally so...food for thought on your RH readings the myc surface is what matters most...not the overall RH of the FC :shrug:

:2cents:

Can it be the correct humidity and still have dry mycelium? Figured one would be somewhat telling of the other. I agree about that fan being on too long though. I figured since the fan was more moving air around FC instead of directly out from it, it might be more of a natural flowing air current.

Thing is im not sure how to apply a timer switch to turn on every hour using the same power supply. Most seem to be made for wall outlets. Ill try playing around with the holes or fan for now.

OfflineTormato
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24991698 - 02/13/18 05:48 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

kayo said:
Can it be the correct humidity and still have dry mycelium? Figured one would be somewhat telling of the other. I agree about that fan being on too long though. I figured since the fan was more moving air around FC instead of directly out from it, it might be more of a natural flowing air current.

Thing is im not sure how to apply a timer switch to turn on every hour using the same power supply. Most seem to be made for wall outlets. Ill try playing around with the holes or fan for now.

Sure can. I only used RH gauges in my GH until I realized that I could have the entire GH at 95% or better and I was still having to mist my subs. Unless the moisture is falling directly onto the sub the air around can be anything really. Misting allows for the moisture to fall onto the sub itself. The RH of the fruiting chamber really isn't going to help much. I went round and round on that for the same reasoning until I realized that at the surface the climate can actually BE quite different then the air around it. Ultimately I just use my eyes...watch the surface of the sub and I dial in a timer to regulate moisture input based on what I see and not the what my RH gauge says...I could have a tropical rain forest in the GH and still feel like my subs were dehydrated....and maybe this a bad explanation, but it helped me. :shrug:

How are you powering the fan?

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's LAGM 2020

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#24993669 - 02/14/18 01:23 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Tormato said:
How are you powering the fan?

An old computer power supply. Basically turn it on by grounding the pwr_on wire via toggle switch. Both lights and fan turns on until switched off. If I wanted to use a typical wall outlet timer switch I'd have to get a separate power supply for the fan I think.

I can probably use an old programmable project board and a transistors to cut power to the fan on a timer. At least during the "day" so it won't dry everything out with a fan on all the time. Time to brush up on my Arduino lol.

Thanks again, will post update this weekend.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: kayo]
    #25010135 - 02/21/18 11:15 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Update 02/21/18: Welp, im late! Was finally able to do some mock testing of everything and im happy to say its looking good so far. Not sure how accurate this "simulation" I cooked up is but hopefully itll give me some idea of any adjustments I need to make keep the surface moist throughout a day or two. Let me know what you guys think or any important variables I may be missing.

I reset the FC, rewet and mixed perlite, closed off all the holes I drilled on the surface above and then placed 4 cups of various sizes (see pics) wrapped in wet paper towels and put them in for 10-12 hours with the fans and lights on. This morning the mock "cakes" were still moist but less noticeably so than how I left them last night. Hopefully that means they'll survive the "day time."

Pics:

Humidity was slightly higher than previous "just perlite" tests at 80% thanks to, I assume, less holes and more "cakes". The real thing will have 6 cakes total if they remain contam free (almost 100% colonized now! :grin:)

Theyre now sitting in the FC with no light or air. Humidity should climb back up as before, I just hope the fact that there is no active "night time" FAE wont cause any issues. I mean even the most OCD grower cant FAE during work and sleep right?  :uhoh:

Ill be doing another run tonight. A sort of "worst case scenario" with the paper towels damp rather than my best guess at " field capacity".

Side note, I did notice a funky foot smell coming from FC so something is trying to grow in there. Reminded me of my old karate dojo lol. Dont really see any discoloration so rather than waste more perlite i used them again. I probably shouldnt have ignored it or left it in there, wet, with no air circulation for 4-5 days, huh? :grin:

Miracle gro  perlite is probably not a good idea to use for FCs. It has some minor plant food in it so im sure there is some kind of contam out there that feeds on it. Anyway, I drenched in alcohol because I had no peroxide for some reason, stirred, let dry a little, rewet it (no puddle), smell is mostly gone. After that, im dumping the perlite and thoroughly scrubbing the shit out of the container with every disinfectant I can find in the house lol.

Next Episode: Birthing. Stay tuned! :wink:

Edited by kayo (02/21/18 11:18 AM)

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25011083 - 02/21/18 06:34 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

The cruel micro world has taken one of my babies!

:gocrythen:
Why lawd!!?!

So is that the infamous trich? Kinda suspicious this thing shows up 3 days after I remove the micropore tape. Still say its the dry verm layer.

Rest should be fine, they seem fully colonized towards the top. I believe this was the "runt" that didnt germinate anything in two of the noc points.

Ah well ... put it in a sealed ziploc away from the others for now. Ill bury it somewhere inconspicuous one of these days. Maybe cut it off that section first.

And then there were 5 :frown:

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
    #25011127 - 02/21/18 06:54 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Pint jars are notorious for failing. That's why psilocybe fanaticus said not to use them, he did extensive research on the matter. That's how he came up with the PF tek.

--------------------
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: Doc9151]
    #25012594 - 02/22/18 09:43 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
Pint jars are notorious for failing. That's why psilocybe fanaticus said not to use them, he did extensive research on the matter. That's how he came up with the PF tek.

You mean actual pint jars or just jars in general? These are PF Tek standard issue 1/2 pints. At least, thats what it said in the description (these were premade). Could be anything from my humorously terrible toaster oven tek, contaminated syringe, to a bad dry verm layer.

Its colonizing well beyond the band line and none of the others seem to have anything yet, so im sticking with bad dry verm layer. A result of it being shaken up during shipping or just badly prepared. Fairly well known supplier, although not a sponsor here.

Im honestly surprised its all been going so smoothly up to now. Feels like ive been lucky considering lol.

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
    #25012717 - 02/22/18 11:06 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

This is what you should have for the PF tek.

The jars you have look bigger, more like pint jars.

--------------------
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Edited by Doc9151 (02/22/18 11:10 AM)

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #25012725 - 02/22/18 11:09 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

There's 2 different styles of 1/2 Pint Jars. I have ones like Kayo, tall & thin. Doc's are Short & fatter. Both 1/2 Pint volume.

Here's an image to compare. 3x Pint jars next to 2x tall & thin 1/2 Pints.

Edited by LtLurker (02/22/18 11:12 AM)

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
Re: Another "first first grow" thread [Re: LtLurker]
    #25012728 - 02/22/18 11:11 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
There's 2 different styles of 1/2 Pint Jars. I have ones like Kayo, tall & thin. Doc's are Short & fatter. Both 1/2 Pint volume.

Gotcha ya, I have never seen the tall ones.

Edit: I wonder if it makes a difference, I'm curious to what the success/fail ratio may be between the two styles.

--------------------
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Edited by Doc9151 (02/22/18 11:15 AM)

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25012877 - 02/22/18 12:15 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Heh, I was already planning on making sure they were 1/2 pints when I got home :laugh:

Ive seen those smaller ones but I thought they were just 1/4 pints or something lol.

Anyway, quick update: Test is going on 1.5 days now with no extra watering or spraying, two "daytime" cycles with the fan and lights on. While the humidity has dropped to low 90s now (when no fan) the mock cakes are still damp to the touch. Think im just going to focus now on getting everything ready for birthing.

Should I still wait a week after 100% colonization? I mean that last few % is going but relatively slower. Most of the rest of the cakes seem pretty solid and compressing quite a bit around the germination areas. Im surprised I havent got any early pins yet.

Already looking up ways to bury the contaminated jar. Havent really read too much on proper teks for this but so far its cut off the contamination, bury in a shallow hole with some peat moss, used coffee grounds and some instant oats (its all I have)... thoroughly wet and mix it all then cover with ~1/2" of dirt.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #25012976 - 02/22/18 12:59 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I think you should wait till 1 week after full colonize. Anecdotally on only a few runs, cakes I didn't wait for took longer to pin and had less impressive flushes. More importantly the people that have done it longer and tested the hell out of it agree to wait a week if your gonna fruit on cakes.

On burying, I'm the wrong guy to answer. Conditions aren't good here for outdoor so I just quickly bury and be done with it. I assume they'll probably fail for me anyway.

I did learn critters like cakes tho. Good Luck.

Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25016829 - 02/23/18 08:24 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Ma babies are havin babies!  :emocry:

Haha, so exciting. Counting at least 4 so far with many other possible knots throughout all remaining jars. Too bad I cant put them to fruit yet. About 3 are at 100% with 2 others missing only a tiny section on the bottom. At least ill have something to eat while I set it up!

Thx LtLurker, ill try my best to wait it out lol. How long can they be kept in the jars like this before it starts getting negatively affected? Id hate to have to do these in the middle of the week but next weekend might be too long.

Edited by kayo (02/23/18 08:28 PM)

InvisibleDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Trusted Identifier
    #25017284 - 02/23/18 11:52 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

They are ready, you have pinning, don't wait. You can wait on the one still colonizing, but the jars with pins are ready to fruit.

--------------------
BEAUTY AND TERROR
JUST KEEP GOING
NO FEELING IS FINAL!!!!
          Rainer Maria Riley
          Holocaust survivor

Edited by Doc9151 (02/23/18 11:53 PM)

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
    #25017294 - 02/23/18 11:56 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:

Here's an image to compare. 3x Pint jars next to 2x tall & thin 1/2 Pints.

You will have to top fruit the tapered neck ones if they reach 100% colonization. Cause you can't birth those ones like you can with the wide mouths.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started