Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds
    #24907858 - 01/12/18 12:05 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds
sfchronicle.com

Rat poison from marijuana farms appears to be sickening and possibly killing owls, fouling wildlife habitat and allowing rodents to spread contamination through large swaths of Northern California’s most famous cannabis-growing region, University of California researchers said in a report published Thursday.

Rodenticide was found in seven of 10 northern spotted owls and 34 of 84 barred owls tested between 2006 and 2016 near marijuana plantations in Humboldt, Mendocino and Del Norte counties. Both species are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

The study, by UC Davis and the California Academy of Sciences, is the first account of deadly rodenticide in northern spotted owls, a redwood tree-loving bird that is listed as a threatened species under the federal and state Endangered Species acts.

Large quantities of rat poison were previously found in the weasel-like creatures known as Pacific fishers, which also live in the Emerald Triangle marijuana-growing region.

“We’re deeply concerned that there aren’t sufficient conservation protective measures in place,” said Mourad Gabriel, a researcher on the faculty of the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine and the lead author of the study. “If no one is investigating the level at which private marijuana cultivators are placing chemicals out there, the fragmented forest landscapes created by these sites can serve as source points of exposure for owls and other wildlife.”

The study, published Thursday in the journal Avian Conservation and Ecology, is a clear indication that rats poisoned on illegal farms on private property are spreading the toxins to the animals that eat them, a problem that until now had only been documented in wilderness areas and public forests where drug cartels had planted secret crops.

The poisons, known as second-generation anticoagulants, interfere with blood clotting, resulting in uncontrollable bleeding and a slow, agonizing death for any animal that captures a poisoned rodent or scavenges on its contaminated carcass. Although some products are being phased out, they are still available despite widespread pressure from federal regulators, wildlife officials and environmentalists to remove them from store shelves.

Gabriel said the study areas all contained critical owl habitat surrounded by private property or recently purchased timberland where people had planted marijuana, presumably to cash in on a growing market that experts believe will be worth billions of dollars in the next few years.

The owls, which were either found dead in the field or were provided by researchers conducting unrelated studies in the area, are crucial indicators of ecosystem health.

“Northern spotted owls were exposed to rodenticide and exposed throughout the study area,” said Gabriel, who is also executive director of the nonprofit Integral Ecology Research Center, in Humboldt County. “The chemicals were likely being placed ubiquitously through the study area.”

The spotted owl competes with the barred owl, a native of the east that has expanded its range west. Rodents make up 70 to 80 percent of the spotted owl diet and 30 to 50 percent of the barred owl diet. That probably explains why 70 percent of the native owls compared to 40 percent of the eastern invaders had toxins in their bodies, Gabriel said.

He said spotted owls feed along forest edges, which cannabis growers create when they clear areas to plant their crops.

The study, funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, is a follow-up on previous studies by Gabriel in 2012, 2013 and 2015 linking rat poison from marijuana farming to wildlife deaths, including Pacific fishers, thick-coated carnivores that feed on rodents in the remote forests of California and the Pacific Northwest.

Gabriel is concerned that California’s legalized recreational sales of marijuana, which began Jan. 1, will result in more large unpermitted cultivation sites, particularly in Humboldt County, and, consequently, more rat poison in the ecosystem.

Only 2,300 of the 15,000 or so growers in Humboldt County have applied for permits to cultivate marijuana under the state’s system, county officials say.

“It’s another reason why it is so important that we draw more growers into the regulated market,” said Hezekiah Allen, executive director of the California Growers Association, an advocacy group for more than 1,000 medical marijuana farmers and business owners and a longtime supporter of a rodenticide ban. “If we did have the bulk of the growers inside the system, law enforcement could focus on the outliers.”

Gabriel said regulations likely will have to be stiffened and more law enforcement deployed in the rural, forested regions of California if the problem is going to be solved.

“Our results clearly indicate that environmental contamination is happening in northern spotted owl habitat,” he said. “There needs to be sufficient regulatory oversight to ensure that individuals partaking in this industry are also stewards of conservation and California’s natural resources.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBig Worm
Perf
 User Gallery

Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: Ythan]
    #24907885 - 01/12/18 12:18 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Unless I missed something in that article, but it makes no sense to use rat poison to grow marijuana. I've never even heard of that.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: Big Worm]
    #24907921 - 01/12/18 12:35 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Big Worm said:
Unless I missed something in that article, but it makes no sense to use rat poison to grow marijuana. I've never even heard of that.

I imagine it's more people using poison to kill pests to protect their crops, then owls eat the rats that have been poisoned.

But yeah I doubt this issue is exclusive with cannabis growers. If anything this is why we should be using as little pesticides as possible as they can spread around in unforeseen ways.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflineO_Dweeds
Humanitarian Magician

Loc: Molecular (Creating, Watc...
Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: musiclover420]
    #24907937 - 01/12/18 12:42 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

It's almost as if many of these huge outdoor grows in Cali want cannabis to go back to being illegal.
  Regulation is good for everyone. Keeps the private cages from being filled with growers all the way down to the small time smokers.And yes as someone who grew up all over the Midwest most of the cage collectors, I mean cops there are still taking anyone to jail they can find with cannabis. Regulation means product is sent to testing facilities instead of getting flowers and concentrate containing anything from dirty nutes to significant solvent content. Seen too much dirty product to know. 
  Unless your someone who can look at Prohibition through the 20's and say that created a better, safer market...

--------------------
Oxygen. Water. Neil Young

Our word "planet" comes from the Greek word planetes, meaning "wanderer."

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace."
Gregg Allman

InvisibleSheekle
FREE BURKE
 User Gallery

Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: Big Worm]
    #24908263 - 01/12/18 03:40 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Big Worm said:

QFT

--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: O_Dweeds]
    #24909895 - 01/13/18 06:13 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

O_Dweeds said:
It's almost as if many of these huge outdoor grows in Cali want cannabis to go back to being illegal.
  Regulation is good for everyone. Keeps the private cages from being filled with growers all the way down to the small time smokers.And yes as someone who grew up all over the Midwest most of the cage collectors, I mean cops there are still taking anyone to jail they can find with cannabis. Regulation means product is sent to testing facilities instead of getting flowers and concentrate containing anything from dirty nutes to significant solvent content. Seen too much dirty product to know. 
  Unless your someone who can look at Prohibition through the 20's and say that created a better, safer market...

The only people who want it to be illegal: dealers, feds, people who dont care about actual progression of cannabis, but rather just the $$$ or just have a sort of hateful stigma towards legalization.

People complain about MedMen's high prices but, this means cannabis access for anyone who even visits the city, and a never-ending line paying 40% tax, to help out the city. Regulation and even somewhat pricier recreational cannabis is a good thing. Particularly in a place like cali where you really have 3 choices (rec, med, and black market). Someone who doesnt have a cali ID would only have the black market. But now can just wait 40 mins to get your weed at MedMen for a premium. And that can make a vacation 100x more fun.

For sure prohibition was and is terrible, and the only people who liked it, obv the criminals making bank, and the law of course pretended to. Same shit now.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: musiclover420]
    #24909963 - 01/13/18 07:20 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

Big Worm said:

I imagine it's more people using poison to kill pests to protect their crops, then owls eat the rats that have been poisoned.

But yeah I doubt this issue is exclusive with cannabis growers. If anything this is why we should be using as little pesticides as possible as they can spread around in unforeseen ways.

Yeah this is only an article because weed. No one goes around checking the owl population around regular farms. Somehow I doubt cannabis farms have the highest amount of rats, no that would be food farmers. There are a million and one ways we kill off wildlife populations, I think it would be silly if this article had any sort of impact on the marijuana industry.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #24910003 - 01/13/18 08:08 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

XLCaps said:
Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

Big Worm said:

Yeah this is only an article because weed. No one goes around checking the owl population around regular farms. Somehow I doubt cannabis farms have the highest amount of rats, no that would be food farmers. There are a million and one ways we kill off wildlife populations, I think it would be silly if this article had any sort of impact on the marijuana industry.

Exactly, from what I can read in the article the evidence is basically just poisoned owls being found in popular cannabis grow areas. I doubt that people are only farming cannabis around there though.

We really need to be much much more careful with pesticides/toxins in general, and there is no way this is limited to just the cannabis industry.

Honestly the use of rat poison could be totally unrelated to cannabis, if anything people owning/renting big outdoor properties to grow probably just have to deal with more rats.

We should just ban rat poison and find some safer solutions, like having a few cats or some sort of safer rodent repellent or poison.

Don't people use rat poison to make bombs or something sketchy too?...

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

OfflineO_Dweeds
Humanitarian Magician

Loc: Molecular (Creating, Watc...
Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: Fractal420]
    #24910799 - 01/13/18 12:29 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Yep, it's the same throughout the country. Even more so here in CO

--------------------
Oxygen. Water. Neil Young

Our word "planet" comes from the Greek word planetes, meaning "wanderer."

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace."
Gregg Allman

Offlineealandis
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: O_Dweeds]
    #24911990 - 01/13/18 08:54 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

the whole thing is trash,
believe me its people trying to give cannabis a bad rep.
they tested a bunch of owls in the forest near grows and found them to contain rat poison in them cause they ate rats who had eaten poison put out by gorilla growers.
a rat can kill a full grown plant in a few minutes with a few bites to the cambium layer.
in the woods live wood rats, and a lot of them.

InvisibleBig Bear
Earf Child
Male User Gallery

Loc: In love, On time
Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: Sheekle]
    #24912820 - 01/14/18 07:17 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Sheekle said:
Quote:

Big Worm said:

QFT

In California dry areas when you are watering your plants, if they are the only available water that is around, rats will chew through the roots.

It can get out of hand quick in areas with limited water.  Some people poison the rats as the solution.  It's ridiculous.  You can just put out bowls of water all around and the rats will leave the roots alone when they find the easier way to get it. 

Poisoning rodents is a real thing unfortunately.

--------------------
Need help growing? Ask AMU for hassle free answers.

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time...

Edited by Big Bear (01/14/18 09:03 AM)

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: ealandis]
    #24912826 - 01/14/18 07:20 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I believe that rats would come out of the woods, to eat tree fruit, nuts, and root vegetables, but not leafy greens.

They were wasting their money, because nature has already provided them with a solution for pest control.

You probably could have provided habitat, for predators, and been subsidized for that.

InvisibleBig Bear
Earf Child
Male User Gallery

Loc: In love, On time
Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: durian_2008] * 1
    #24912971 - 01/14/18 08:54 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

They don't come for the greens.  They come for the water in the roots.

--------------------
Need help growing? Ask AMU for hassle free answers.

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time...

Edited by Big Bear (01/14/18 08:56 AM)

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: Big Bear] * 1
    #24913582 - 01/14/18 01:42 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

It's just a propaganda article and nothing much of a public awareness article.

All sorts of crazy chems are used in all farming, irrelevant to any concern of the environment.

At this point, cannabis articles are either for or against.  There are not a whole lot of neutral articles.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24918110 - 01/16/18 11:40 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

amazing lack of reading comprehension on exhibit here.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Rat poison from pot farms poisoning owls, study finds [Re: ReposadoXochipilli]
    #24918206 - 01/16/18 12:38 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ReposadoXochipilli said:
amazing lack of reading comprehension on exhibit here.

That assumes everyone read the article :lol:

I tend to just skim stuff unless it's particularly interesting or useful info :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds