Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezaros
Stranger
Papaver Somniferum in the garden
    #24912642 - 01/14/18 03:23 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I have several somniferum seed cultivars to try the coming spring

izmir afghan special
pink (somniferum)
persian blue

Are you growing poppy?

Edited by zaros (02/27/18 07:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: zaros]
    #24912667 - 01/14/18 03:59 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I also going to grow some poppys this season.
Have ordered a few varietys to try, one beeing the izmir afghan special that you also have.
Going to put them in the refridgerator to get a better germination rate.
I think i going to sow them in peat jiffy bricks or small plastic pots inside at first.
Then plant them in their final place outside when little bigger.
Just put the whole jiffy brick in the soil so not to disturb the roots, they dont like repotting or disturbing of roots.
This way i dont have to worry about snails when they are small.
Also i can start them little erlier compared if sowing seeds directly in ground outside.

Have you grown these before?

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

Offlinezaros
Stranger
Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: zaros]
    #24912709 - 01/14/18 05:03 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

No, its first time but yes i may do the same perhaps i may try both environments for successful results. My goals in growing these varietals is to blend the flowers for a unique blend of my own selection, I've chosen these seeds for light purple and pink color. Of course i also have the other characteristics in mind with these varieties of poppy to investigate; there really is not a lot of info about breeding selection with this plant such as with blue foliage as an indication of alkaloidal content.

Edited by zaros (01/14/18 05:10 AM)

InvisibleFeroxx
Master of the Green Fist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cruel sun
Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: Mateo]
    #24912884 - 01/14/18 07:57 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I have read somewhere that poppy always dies when transplanted, it doesnt tolerate it, so if you wanna use the fridge most likely you must use jiffys, rockwool, egg shells filled with peat, ect

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: Feroxx]
    #24913173 - 01/14/18 10:35 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, they dont like to be transplanted at all.
But if one grows then in jiffy bricks or small containers and put the whole thing into the new location it usually works.
If one disturbs the roots they have a high chance to die.
They dont like hot temps.
I tried raise seed indoors in 23 degrees C and they did germinate but the small plant soon died.
When i tried put the pots outdoors they survived and grew well.

Be aware of snails, they seem to love eating poppys.

I use the refridgerator to simulate the winter period.
It´s called cold straification or something similar.
It makes the germination rate go up quite a bit.
Some plants need it to germinate good.

--------------------

Edited by Mateo (01/14/18 10:37 AM)

Offlinezaros
Stranger
    #24913975 - 01/14/18 04:21 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

They need plenty of light to sprout, i presume you mean cold stratification.

The ziar breadseed from slovakia im thinking might be an heirloom varietal worth investigating.

Has anybody an opinion of bread-seed poppy cultivar alkaloid contents?

Edited by zaros (01/15/18 08:55 PM)

Offlinemmcc
Stranger

Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: Feroxx]
    #24976363 - 02/08/18 11:55 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I got my chicks and hens poppies to germinate by simply putting ice cubes on top of the soil twice a day. Took about a week and half for them to pop out.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: mmcc]
    #24976587 - 02/08/18 02:07 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

You can just put the seeds if a cold place, like the fridge, for a while.
A few weeks at least.
They will not germinate in the refridgerator, you should just store them there.
Then sow them and the germination rate is much better.
It simulates passing the winter period.
That is why poppy seeds seem to sprout just after a cold period, or some icecubes on soil like you did.
It seem to get the biological clock starting in the seed and it wants to grow.

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #24976635 - 02/08/18 02:32 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Cold stratification isn't necessary. They sprout quite well without it.

--------------------

Offlinemmcc
Stranger

Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: karode13]
    #24976700 - 02/08/18 03:09 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

it’s my first time growing and everyone seems to think it necessary or at least helpful. anyone think I can sell dried pods to flower arrangement stores? That’s the main reason why I’m growing them.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: karode13]
    #24976788 - 02/08/18 03:52 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
Cold stratification isn't necessary. They sprout quite well without it.

For me it seems some of my seeds that i didn´t use any longer cold stratification on have big problems germinating.
Now this is indoors, outdoors it´s probably not an issue for natural reasons.
Some varietys have germinated very well, others just a seed or 2 and some not at all yet.
I have seeds in my refrigerator so i will try sow some later and then i will se if cold stratification has any inpact on this.
It might just be old or bad seeds (they are newly purchased, but that gives no garantees ), we will see in a month roughly.

--------------------

OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Bowels of Canada
    #24984021 - 02/10/18 07:33 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

maybe it's the canadian climate, but honestly every time I've grown them I've basicaly sprinkiled a buch of seeds, kicked some dirt over em, light watering, and about week later they'd be sprouting... all I'd really have to do was thin them out a bit so they weren't competing or whatever... by the end of summer they'd be all growed up and ready to make tea out of... serioulsy, almost zero maintnance... I'd let some of them die where they stood and wouldn't even need to re-plant them next season, pretty much like weeds tbh  :shrug:

not bragging by any means, just never heard of all this stuff you need to do... I even threw a few pods in the ditch driving down the highway once just to see what would happen, a month later there were poppies :lol:

--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Edited by LuSiD9 (02/10/18 08:22 PM)

Offlinezaros
Stranger
Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: LuSiD9]
    #25021593 - 02/25/18 06:31 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Cold stratification may not always be necessary with all subspecies of somniferum TBH.. The white-seeded varieties from central/Asia for instance I've gotten great germination rates however the persian blue i have are much more finicky about pre-existing conditions and although a lot had germinated none had survived indoors to produce their first set of true leaves.

OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25022020 - 02/25/18 09:46 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mmcc said:
it’s my first time growing and everyone seems to think it necessary or at least helpful. anyone think I can sell dried pods to flower arrangement stores? That’s the main reason why I’m growing them.

I would be very hesitant about selling them at all. Unless you claim they are some other type of poppy. Also I don't imagine them buying them for anything more than like .50 each at that price you might as well keep them

--------------------
Matsesherbs.com is a SCAM site. Do not send them any money!!!!

Offlinemmcc
Stranger

Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: Crispy224]
    #25022029 - 02/25/18 09:53 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

ive seen dried poppy pods go for like $600/lbs online. I'd imagine each city or county has their own regulations i'd have to check.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25022253 - 02/26/18 12:10 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I would check your local regulations about selling pods.
You could always go into a flower arrangment store and ask if they would like to buy some pods and if they know the regulations.
Either they tell you it´s illegal, they don´t want any or they want some.

Are you sure you grow them to sell the pods for arrangements?
Don´t think it´s a viable buissness idea.
So much work for so little money.

One can grow them for other reasons though :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Loc: Where ppl are herded and ... Flag
    #25026837 - 02/27/18 05:25 PM (6 years, 30 days ago)

600/lb is absolute horse shit. Not saying that you are lying or anything, but fuck. Fifteen years ago, you could order a shit load for dirt cheap. Ebay was a great place to buy them. Times has changed though. Most people dont even sell them anymore. And well, those that do....

Doesnt seem like a lucrative business at all, if you actually are telling the truth as to you seriously wanting to do that. Then again, i respect your desire to not say anything also. But you would need a massive field to make any money off of flower shops. No flower shops are likely willing to pay 600/lb bro. People who want to get high and vendors who know this are the reason prices are as high as you said. Cultuvation and knowingly distributing opium poppies for drug use is a very serious offense. I know you mentioned the flower shops, but if one person gets high on your product and you know that and continue doing any business w them, Its over with. A poppy farm and wholesale distributor would certainly warrent the attention of the federal government. If you want to grow and get high, go for it. But the days of flower shops and small 'legitimate poppy farms' in the US are thing of the past. There are strict laws in place that keep poppy cultivation in other countries and not in the US. poppy cipult was once a grey area of the law and prosecutions were rare... but in the middle of the opioid epidemic and iver the years this has changed. I still doubt any cop would be able to spot a poppy in a garden, a small farm could possibly be a little harder to keep on the dl. Esp if youre going for weight. Sometimes one plant yields just one pod. Sometimes its low like that. Even if its three or four, its still a lot of plants and its still a lot of space.

I mean no disrespect at all. But its a bad idea. Growing poppies on the other hand is not... if you truely respect the poppy and enjoy what it has to offer, just be smart about it and dont put yourself out there too much. And dont do what i did and fall in love with poppies and then get hooked on pain pills and later heroin. Poppies are off the table for me now, and i often miss growing them for their beauty. But after dancing the dope fiend walk for so long, i know its something that must remain retired.

Gl and sorry for the rant :heart:

--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

'Great Spirit, today, let me touch the Earth so the Earth can touch me.'

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

A monkey w/out his jungle is just an inmate-- :heart:lipa

Offlinemmcc
Stranger

Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: Lipa Kreepa]
    #25027132 - 02/27/18 07:23 PM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Not a rant but thoughtful advice. as far as I know it’s not illegal for ornamental purposes. But the chance someone buys a flower arrangement full of pods to get high is definitely high and risky, and not a risk most flower shops would want to take. you’re totally right and have considered this lol. Are pods that addictive? Thought there was a huge gap between pod and heroin. I wonder if you could grow poppies for the gov for pharmaceutical purposes. I think you could but I doubt just anyone can get licensed to do so.

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #25027171 - 02/27/18 07:34 PM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Are pods that addictive?

They can be. People with low self control can end up in sad spaces. Any form of opiate carries the risk of addiction.

--------------------

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Loc: Where ppl are herded and ... Flag
Re: going to grow somniferum plants [Re: karode13] * 1
    #25027384 - 02/27/18 08:55 PM (6 years, 30 days ago)

Opioids in general are addictive. People with addictive personalities should def stay clear of them. Opium's main consitute is morphine. Morphine needs to be acetylated in the brain before it can pass and become active... heroin is (in a nut shell) simply an acetylated form Of morphine. Heroin was actually marketed as a cure (or perhaps a 'treatment option' would be better worded) for morphine addiction. And yeah i agree, opium has a complex of other chemical constitutes/alkaloids which affect the morphine experience and can either add or subtract from it... nevertheless, the dangers of morphine addiction can be just as threatening w natural opium. There have been junkies for thousands of years. Some people make the claim that opium can be worse of an addiction because of the various other opiates present, that the user gets dependent to as well. Morphine has only been around for a few hundred years (1805)...It was actually the first phytochemical isolated from a plant and this was considered a landmark event in science.... not necc at that time, but big picture... some argue it was a true beginning to the world of pharmacology that we have today... but im getting way off track here.

You prob could grow poppies formthe government for whatever purposes. But i bet it would take some serious clearance if it were done in the states... my bet is that it would be done overseas. And honestly it prob has been done overseas already quite a bit. And back to the ornamental thing... yes that was the grey area i think i touched on. Many years ago this was a comfortable cube of freedom. No one really got caught, except for extreme cases. Hell the first time i ever even consumed poppies was from a rip (i know :facepalm: i was an asshole but i was also a teenager) from an elderly couples house. They had poppies all over their front yard. Not millions but def out in the open and spreAd out. For a young punk like me who was reading Hogshire's 'Opium For The Masses' @ the time, it was quite the sight! Anyway, i mention that to sy this.... their house was several blocks away from a cop station, a military base and a border patrol station.... a shitload of these people drove past their house everyday. Honestly i dont think any of them knew what it was except me and the eldery couple. And unless someone saw either of them harvesting and they too knew what they were, would like not even persue it. Worse case scenario theyd request to just have them ripped up.

Nowadays, again w the onset of this epidemic were facing, more discovered crops are likely to be investigated and persued. Esp if it was a large number of plants. All im saying is that theres a reason there arent as many pod vendors as there use to be. It was a pretty big business back then... why wouldnt another band of gypsies hop on the wagon and get their crack at the action? Its prob why its harder to find at floral shops nowadays... at least something clean and unsprayed. The pressure from the DEA can make even legitimate businesses sway away from that. Kind of like what happened w ephedra root and the meth explosion. Where is ephedra root in the US anymore? Where did it go? See what im saying?

--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

'Great Spirit, today, let me touch the Earth so the Earth can touch me.'

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

A monkey w/out his jungle is just an inmate-- :heart:lipa

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck