Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBarnaby
The West is the Best
Male

For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring?
    #24899815 - 01/09/18 03:39 AM (8 months, 9 days ago)

It is amusing when they talk about on the news 6500 elevation and how hard it is.  almost 10,000 has been my top is California.  Going back on the Pacific Crest Trail depending on the thaw.  It is great when you can take a month on it or longer.

Not bragging, it just made me feel connected again.  Coming back, I only made it one week last time but it was sensory overload in society but I soon adjusted.  More prepared this time and I wish I could just fast forward through the rest of January.

You only get so many Spring/Summers in your life.  Anyone making the most of it?  Without doing crazy shit like climbing Everest?:sun:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinechevy66driver
Psychonaut
Male

Loc: Here and There
Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: Barnaby]
    #24904976 - 01/11/18 10:20 AM (8 months, 7 days ago)

When I scrambled up Mt. of the Holy Cross in CO, I could really feel the effect of altitude right around 11-12k feet and up. Other than that, I was good. I think my hiking buddy was having a hell of a time though lol. Her first time backpacking and we did a 60 mile backcountry loop  :hehehe:  whoops
Before leaving, we bought her a pair of lightweight new balance boots from a clearance rack at a local outfitter and returned them a week later with practically no soles lol she must have been sore for weeks  :rofl2:

ANyways, I think I'm going to get out into the woods and do some shed hunting before the spring arrives, just to get some fresh air. Maybe even later today...
No big plans, but I'll definitely be hunting some morels and taking my little one out to the woods for some nights under the stars. Nothing quite like the wonder of the outdoors as seen through a child's eyes. Calling owls before bedtime and making fires. Nothing better.

--------------------

Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: Barnaby]
    #24905023 - 01/11/18 10:45 AM (8 months, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Barnaby said:
It is amusing when they talk about on the news 6500 elevation and how hard it is.  almost 10,000 has been my top is California.  Going back on the Pacific Crest Trail depending on the thaw.  It is great when you can take a month on it or longer.

Elevation isn't necessarily a good measure of toughness, for instance there may be a 14ker that starts at 9k, and a 7k that starts at 2k... really not much difference. I've had a couple 3000 footers on the east coast kick my ass way harder than some 9-10kers I've done out west. NE trails seem to favor endless boulder scrambles straight uphill over gentle switchbacks. In terms of above treeline and off-trail mountaineering though, the east doesn't hold a candle to the west.

2 Summers ago I did the Skyline Trail in Jasper/Canadian Rockies, a 3 day trip.  It was incredible!    https://www.hikebiketravel.com/hiking-skyline-trail-jasper-national-park/ (not my blog/pics).

Last year I camped right on beach bare sites in St. John USVI. It was awesome to wake up with an ocean breeze and watch a sunrise in paradise every morning.
The view:

If I can get a couple weeks off in a row I'm aiming to do the Long Trail in Vermont this year, more so in Summer than Spring. Spring in my area means left over ice and lots of mud/flooding, so I usually read trail reports and go for whatever looks hikable. Typically the wife and I will backpack out to lesser known Wilderness areas in New Hampshire and find nice swimming holes to set up camp near, just relax by the river for a couple days. We've also been staring to hike "base camp" style, which is perfect for NH trails that are loaded with intersections. Basically we set up camp somewhere far out at a central point and bring our day-packs, and do a different day hike each day.

I'd go crazy if I couldn't get outdoors. Even just a walk through local conservation areas is usually enough for me get my mind back on track.

--------------------
exist

Offlinechevy66driver
Psychonaut
Male

Loc: Here and There
Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: feevers]
    #24905062 - 01/11/18 11:05 AM (8 months, 7 days ago)

Oh, I thought you just meant in terms of the lack of oxygen. Boy, that would be nice to wake up on a beach like that. I'm gonna head out today and see if I can stumble upon a couple shed antlers. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll com eback and post a pic if I see anything!

--------------------

Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: chevy66driver]
    #24905381 - 01/11/18 01:53 PM (8 months, 7 days ago)

Quote:

chevy66driver said:
Oh, I thought you just meant in terms of the lack of oxygen. Boy, that would be nice to wake up on a beach like that. I'm gonna head out today and see if I can stumble upon a couple shed antlers. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll com eback and post a pic if I see anything!

Elevation can be brutal, I've never had an issue as long as I stay super hydrated and do lung capacity breathing exercises starting a couple weeks before. I've never been over 12k but I've had friends say it can feel like you're carrying an extra 15lbs.

Good luck on the hunt! I'm about to go for a muddy/slushy walk through a local conservation area, it's supposed to break 50 today before freezing rain moves in for the weekend. took a small corner of a tab in honor of Hoffman's birthday so it should be all that more enjoyable.

--------------------
exist

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: feevers]
    #24908186 - 01/12/18 04:54 PM (8 months, 6 days ago)

St john is pretty nice,got hit hard by the hurricane, westin  resort is closed for a year,maho  bay got bought by some rich person,too bad it was a cool eco lodge, not many flights going to st Thomas,jet blue is still pretty cheap

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi
from

The Book of Five Rings

Offlinexzylocybin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: 5150]
    #24908193 - 01/12/18 04:59 PM (8 months, 6 days ago)

I've been considering travelling from my bed to my couch, possibly a side treck to the bathroom or the portch for a cig but I haven't commited to anything yet.

Offlinesprinkles
alien
Other User Gallery

Loc: washington state Flag
Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: xzylocybin]
    #24908264 - 01/12/18 05:40 PM (8 months, 6 days ago)

yeah, its a lot of work holding down a bed or a couch.

come to think of it, most people die naked, either on the bed, couch or on the way to the toilet or on the toilet.  but always naked.  i guess when you die and your heart fails you feel like you gotta go potty.

I dont have a hiking buddy, I usually go alone.  Im not comfortable doing overnights in the middle of the woods in the middle of no where.  maybe someday though.  Id love to do the pacific trail.  I think im up where the thing starts.  Maybe.  Northwestern Wa.

--------------------
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

Offlinexzylocybin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: sprinkles]
    #24908464 - 01/12/18 07:17 PM (8 months, 6 days ago)

Do you own a firearm? They are big confidence boosters when alone in the wilderness, also dogs make great hiking buddies and the companionship is nice when you are out for days at a time.

Offlinesprinkles
alien
Other User Gallery

Loc: washington state Flag
Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: xzylocybin]
    #24908553 - 01/12/18 07:58 PM (8 months, 6 days ago)

I dont have a firearm.  there have been a few times when ive had thousands of dollars to get whatever I wanted and the day I went to purchase I got stoned and thought about how just simply owning one greatly increases the chances of death.  Ive been around guns all my life, and fired many. Its not that im afraid or intimidated by them, just statistically the odds increase.

i decided if God meant for me to die by a bear or some psycho in the woods than thats the way it will be.  Tell you the truth I wouldnt want to live with human blood on my hands anyway, but being a victim would be worse.  Im just not sure.  then again about how I hate the government and if a pandemic or nuke or bioweapon or natural disaster happened and society collapsed people would be kicking your door in, blowing your head off with a shotgun for a can of beans.  UGh i just dont know.  I carry one when im with my sasquach buddy and I hate it and wind up shoving it in the bottom of my bag.

--------------------
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

Offlinexzylocybin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: For the travelers and hiking/camping type people what are your plans for Spring? [Re: sprinkles]
    #24908578 - 01/12/18 08:07 PM (8 months, 6 days ago)

To each their own, bear spray is supposed to be pretty effective.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors